Friday 6 May 2011

Do It Yourself - camcorder, muvi


I've bought 3 or 4 cameras of this type for use at work. I've bought 2 different helmet cameras that worked kind of okay, but this one knocks it out of the park. The case is built like a tank, it's very easy to use. The voice activated function is great. I'm using an 8gb chip in mine, so I can't talk about the quality problems I've heard about when using the 2gig chip that ships. I've used it the past couple days testing it by using the clip mount to clip it under my rear view mirror facing forward and I can tell you there are no police dashboard cameras that can beat the video. The camera focuses perfectly through the windshield and the angle of view is wide enough to capture a perfect scene. Low light is great, used it at a shooting range yesterday and once I figured out the proper placement the videos were great even in reduced lighting. If you need a tiny camera with great quality this is the one. My one complaint was when I installed the driver disk I began getting com errors and had to do a lot of googling before I could shut them off. I plugged the camera in another computer without installing the drivers and it worked fine. I suppose you will need the drivers if you are going to use this as a web camera, but thats a waste of a great piece of equipment. Audio is a weak point and wind noise will wipe the audio. If your going to use this as a cruiser cam not sure how you would get external audio, but it will pick up the video well. I highly recommend it. [...] Veho VCC003MUVI Micro DV Camcorder

Purchased one of these and promptly rigged it up on the tiedown mount of an RV8 aircraft and flew it thru barrel rolls and high speed (200mph+) passes at airport. Camera did a very good job, only a slight pause for some unexplainable, reason (very slight). Handled the lighting variables in good shape. Excellent for the cost, and this is coming from a retired USAF Motion Picture Cameraman who has done several kinds of these applications on higher speed aircraft.

I work in the LEO field and have used this product with great success. Many negative ratings were given on Amazon due to the camera turning off after 10 seconds "right out of the box". To my dismay...mine did the same thing but...its not a defect or flaw. The camera goes into stand-by mode and all you do is hit the record button to bring it back to life. Hit it a second time and it starts recording. No flaws whatsoever.



One downfall I found is the lack of USB 2.0. All the transfers to and from the device use the slow 1.0 speed so videos over 10 minutes take forever to transer to/from the camera. Per the grapevine, the new devices will have the USB 2.0 transfer rate.



The only other complaint, which probably corresponds with the transer usage of USB 1.0, is the slow capture rate of the webcam feature. You can use this as a webtype camera to video tape and it saves the movie on your computer to save the memory on the SD card. This is a great idea for wired recording using your computer but the video was something like a video from a 7-11. It seemed to be recording at 3 frames per second or something crazy like that. I was contemplating using this setup to record my traffic stops instead of strapping the camera to my uniform but after seeing how slow and choppy it was I changed my mind.



All and all, I highly recommend this camera to anyone using needing a small recording device that has great video and sound quality for its size and has a type of profession that needs something this small. Its fun for the kids too...when I got it I strapped it to my cat's collar to see where she went during the day...I haven't laughed that hard in a while. :D

Will not record while plugged into power.

Full and freshly charged battery only good for one hour of recording.

If battery dies in middle of clip, that clip is unplayable. Clips are 30 minutes long.

Has slow rolling shutter. Tilt camera movements create unwatchable footage.

Audio is very poor.

The monetary switch for record/stop makes it difficult to know if camera is recording. The flashing green light isn't easy to see in bright sunlight from an angle.

No internal clock to properly date video file headers.



I've been running this on bicycle seat post pointed backward at traffic. AAA batteries, and continuous loop recording would make it better.

1st, Battery life poor but other than that it was a pretty good camera. 2nd, My unit died at 7 months. Unit has a 1 year warranty but no one will honor it! Seller ('PORTABLE GUY') directed me to the manufacturer (VEHO)who directed me back to the seller who said that manufacturer had to warranty it. (catch 22) Veho has not responded to any follow-up emails. Amazon granted me an 'exception' and refunded my money, (good decision by Amazon!). If you choose to buy this beware of ~ZERO~ customer service from either Portable Guy or Veho.



Veho VCC003MUVI Micro DV Camcorder

It is just amazing what this little gadget can do. I am in the technology industry, specifically security and surveillance, and have tested many of these kinds of devices. This unit provides a high quality image and still manages not to bust the budget. I found it easy to use and was very impressed with the amount of data stored on-board. Definitely would recommend this device for undercover or law enforcement purposes.

The camera does an adequate job for it's size. Don't expect the video to rival a small camcorder or digital camera. The instructions aren't real good, but there are only two operating modes, so it can be figured out easily. The camera is built very sturdily, but the mounting bracket is cheap thin plastic and will not survive much use... mine broke, with no abuse, after a week of daily use. My suggestions is to tape the bracket to the camera as soon as you get it. Another review, here, shows that someone lost their camera outside when the bracket came apart. I've used it more than a few dozen times daily since I got it... mounted in my car window. It does an adequate job and I use it as a dash-cam. NEVER, have I gotten more than 1.5 hours on a completely charged battery, so don't be deceived by the claims of 3 hours. I substituted the 2 gb SD card with an 8 gb SD 6 card. It works equally well with either card, but the larger card allows me to get 4 hours of video on the card without the daily hassle of downloading the video. Downloading the video from the camera thru the USB cable is very slow and is not worth the trouble... get yourself a SD micro adapter to plug it directly into SD slot on your computer. I got my camera for $59. It appears to be rising in cost. I just got a clone of this camera for $12 from China. It is identical, but has some additional brackets, but does not have the AC wall charger or the SD card that comes with this unit. The camera really isn't worth more than $39 with the given accessories. It's fun, it's small, and it does an okay job with video. - Muvi - Camcorder - Spy Camera - High Definition'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Do It Yourself - camcorder, muvi high definition Do It Yourself - camcorder, muvi