Friday 6 May 2011

12v


This is the same drill as the Skil with 1 Battery, so I'm posting the same review in both places.



PROS:

The usual Li-Ion pros: light, powerful, quick to charge. I bought it for sixty with two batteries at Menards - so I can't complain much and give it three stars. It does not seem to be much different from other expensive brands, except for two major cons listed below.



CONS:

1. Very, I mean VERY, uncomfortable trigger: too wide and square in shape with sharp edges. You can actually see it on the Amazon product picture. The trigger will hurt one's finger badly if one would work long hours with it. It does not matter if one's hands are large or small, it will hurt after a while. Consider gloves or some sort of glue-on padding on the trigger.



2. No LED light in front to light up the work area. That light is pretty standard in every Li-Ion drill and it is convenient. This drill does not have it. Hoewever it has a battery charge indicator with three blue LEDs. I would gladly trade it for a light in front.



OTHER CONSIDERATIONS:

As I mentioned earlier, the drill and its batteries do not seem to be any different from other "major brands", it is all made in China, like all others. I might take it apart and fit it with a white LED in front taking power from the first LED in the battery indicator. Skil 2414-02 12-Volt Li-Ion Drill/Driver Kit with 2 Batteries

Bought this kit as a secondary drill to complement my 18V product. As a result, my expectations were that I would only be able to use it on light duty applications. You wouldn't want to chuck up a 3" hole saw in this tool, but I am really impressed with the level of performance vs. the size and price. Instead of using it as a secondary option, it has become my primary option moving my 18V to the number 2 choice.



2 batteries is also a must have. They seem to have enough capacity to keep me going. No more having to wait for the charger to juice the next one up. There are a couple of more expensive options available that have a slight edge (Bosch and Milwaukee), but I don't see the need to shell out more cash when this unit does the trick.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


12v 12v 12v