Friday 22 April 2011

Logitech Bluetooth Ps3 - harmony remote, logitech bluetooth ps3


I have a Logitech Harmony 1000 remote, and I run a Pioneer Elite receiver, a Toshiba HDDVD (ok - not smart), an XBox360, a wireless headset controller, a Pioneer Elite upscaling DVD player, two computers with Zalman IR controls, and a Playstation 3. I could control everything with my Harmony 1000 except the Playstation 3. I tried the Nyko Blu-Wave product, and while I've been extremely happy with most Nyko products, I had tons of problems with it. From not being able to power up/power down, commands executing twice, etc., there were just too many issues to make it worthwhile. Considering that Sony's bluetooth remote was so nice, it made sense to go to 2 remotes.



Well now I'm finally down to one without a sacrifice. This unit has it's own AC power, so it works whether the PS3 is off or on, which is a huge advantage.



The other huge advantage over every other solution is that it contains every single command that the bluetooth remote has (I believe it is 51 in all).



Pros:

-Self-powered via AC adapter

-Works regardless of PS3 being on or off

-Contains all 51 commands, including the PS button

-Doesn't take up a valuable USB port on the PS3

-Commands work in PS2 emulator of original 60gb PS3

-Range via Harmony 1000 is excellent

-No problems with double-commands like Nyko product

-Design matches Playstation 3

-Logitech had all the commands and screens for all of the supported remotes on their website on launch day (nicely done Logitech!!)



Cons:

-Price is a little high (it's 3 times the cost of the Sony bluetooth remote)

-For that money, I would like to have had the option of a rechargeable battery so that an AC adapter wouldn't be needed.

-Unit is small, but it seems like it could be smaller.

-It is still infrared from remote to receiver, so you have to aim it versus bluetooth which is omnidirectional.



Summary: If you want to get down to one remote, this is THE way to do it. If you want to save money, go with the omnidirectional Sony bluetooth remote (don't go third part on that). Logitech Harmony Adapter for PlayStation 3

EDIT: According to some of the comments below, Logitech has apparently FIXED the issue described below. In light of that, I give it 5 stars (unfortunately, Amazon does not allow you to change your original rating). However, for reference purposes, and in case someone encounters the same issue in the future (for whatever reason), I'm leaving my original review below.



Once you get this product, you'll be able to control your PS3 like any other device on your Harmony. It works well, doesn't lag, etc.



I started (naturally), unboxing. I thought the device would be bigger; it's slightly smaller than a deck of playing cards (not as thick). Plug in the AC Adapter (Yes, it's required. Otherwise, the PS3 couldn't be turned on by the Harmony, since USB on the PS3 doesn't provide power when the system is off.)



For those of you who have a higher with RF function, fear not; it has a plug for RF extension. I have a Harmony 520, so I cannot speak for the RF. IR range is very good, manual says 10M. I'm pretty sure the furthest I can get from the unit in the room it is setup in is about 13M, and it works fine at that range.



After unboxing, you turn on your PS3 the old fashioned way (Sony BT remote or controller), go to the settings part of the cross media bar interface -> Accessories settings -> Register BT Remote. Tap the orange button under the Logitech Unit, it registers.



Next up is the setup. And this is where I encountered problems. If the PS3 is your only unit, you shouldn't have any problems; however, if you have another gaming unit that takes IR, the setup can get REALLY confusing and frustrating. And, yes, I had the latest version of the software (7.5, but the software checks for any updates at startup).



So, I had the PS3 already added (tune in everything else) on my Harmony 520. Per the Logitech Support database recommendation, I removed the PS3 device and the "Use PS3" activity from my Harmony.



I readded it as recommended after this (Game Console w/ DVD, Sony, PlayStation 3, click through the advisory, OK.) Create an activity, update my Harmony, looking forward to use it instead of the Sony remote.



I run up the stairs like a young child at Christmas. Joyously, I hit the "Play PS3" activity. The TV turns on, the HDMI switcher goes to the right input, the PS3 turns on, the startup sound & video play...



I'm on the user selection screen (you see it if you have more than one profile on the console). I try to use the down arrow. It doesn't work. None of the soft buttons are there either.



Frustrated, I remove and readd the device + activity about 10 times. This takes about a half hour. Naturally, it's extremely frustrating.



Finally, I think "Why don't I remove the PS3 & Xbox 360 device and activities, then, I'll add the PS3 device, PS3 Activity, Xbox 360 device, and Xbox 360 activity, in that order."



Voilà! Everything works. Range is good, all the buttons work, including the soft buttons, etc.



IN SHORT: The product does what it says. For the extremely non-intuitive setup in a potentially common situation, I have to dock the unit 2 stars, especially in light of it's premium pricing.



IF YOU HAVE AN XBOX 360 OR ANY OTHER GAME SYSTEM:

-Remove ANY video game devices

-Remove ANY video game activities

-Add the PS3 as a device (Game Console w/ DVD, Sony, PlayStation 3)

-Add the PS3 activity (when you hit "add activity", it should be an automatic "Play Game" activity. You can rename it after you add it).

-Add any other video game devices and activities.



LOGITECH: If you read this, PLEASE fix the Harmony software for this type of situation. - Harmony Remote - Harmony - Logitech Bluetooth Ps3 - Logitech'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information