Friday 22 April 2011

Ground Loop Isolator - ipod accessories, iphone


My 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid had terrible problem with ground loop noise. It was unbearable that when I play music through the Aux jack while having the charger plugged in (any devices). There were "weeeezing" noises that drowned the music. I had to unplug my devices from the charger if I wanted to listen to clear music. This Kensington Noise Reducing device works wonder. 100% of the noise was gone. I hear no trace of ground loop noise playing music while charging my devices! The length of the cable is plenty for me. Well worth the money! Kensington Noise Reducing Car Audio AUX Cable for MP3 or SmartPhone

I have two cars with auxillary inputs for iPod/iPhone, etc. I bought one auxillary cable at the local CompUSA and it works great. But, great is never good enough for me, so I read the reviews on this item and "had to have it". Bottom line....the sound quality is much worse than my cable without the noise reducer. Whats worse is I don't need the noise reducer. My 14 year old daughter was gifted this item and i'm keeping the cable without the bells and whistles, but with the much better sound quality, for my car.

Does what it claims, if you hear hissing or feedback when running your iPod (or, I presume, any other audio device) through your aux jack this should clear it up. In my case I use a Kensington LiquidAux running into a cassette adapter (my car predates aux jacks). I listen mainly to audiobooks and had an issue with clipping and distortion of the spoken high frequencies. Once I installed this between the cassette adapter and the LiquidAux, the problem disappeared. I also like the braided cord better than the usual plastic/vinyl cord you see, it feels sturdier.



The only thing I would change is the length of the cord. I chose this device over the competing product by Griffin because the cord was 2' shorter - and even the 4' cord of this device is overkill for my setup. I have about 3' of extra cord coiled up inside my console. Of course depending on your situation maybe you need the extra cord, but I didn't. The other thing to remember is that you will likely need at least one 1/8" adapter (I needed 2, because of the cassette adapter) in order to plug this device into a LiquidAux or similar system. If you don't buy the adapters here, try Radio Shack.

When I have my Garmin GPS connected to my Gold Wing audio system via the Aux cable, there is constant low level noise that I tolerate in my helmet, but it doesn't make my wife happy. Just replaced the extension cable between my GPS and the Aux connector with this cable and a female to female 3.5 mm coupler -- and the noise is gone. This should make the wife very happy!



You do have to be cautious with the routing of the cable. There is no extra to spare when trying to reach a handlebar mounted GPS.

I purchased this product in August because I got sick of the humming from my stereo when I was charging my iPhone 4. This cord ABSOLUTELY eliminated ANY and ALL noise created by my car stereo. BUT, the plug had been coming loose from the cord on the smaller end of the cord for the last week or two, but I hadn't much noticed it. Well, the cord stopped working yesterday. Overall, I really wish I had kept shopping for a different product because this product just isn't very durable.



UPDATE (2/18/11): On a lark I contacted Kensington Customer Support and they are sending me a new cord to replace the defective unit that I purchased previously.

I have been experiencing a terribly annoying whine coming thru my speakers whenever I use the AUX input. I don't *think* it's a ground loop, as the noise doesn't change/increase with acceleration. I took my car to the car audio department at Best Buy to get advice, and they suggested I take it to the dealer. I already know how THAT will end, so I opted to try the least expensive option -- try this cable, and if it didn't work, return it and try plan B. I just received the cable - it takes the place of my regular cable, and instantly, the sound was crystal clear, without a hint of a whine. I tried the cable from AUX to the audio input on my XM Skydock: perfect. And then from the AUX input to the headphone jack on my iphone: perfect again. I cannot tell you how happy this makes me, after suffering with this noise for MONTHS.

I rarely feel compelled to write a product review but this one deserves it. It does exactly what it say it will do and sounds fantastic. My previous aux cable, made by "M" with gold plated connections was terrible, loud hissing and crackling. The only way to use it was to leave the car volume very low and max the iPhone volume. This cable has none of that interference and sounds perfect. Now... if only I could find a pair of ear-buds that sound as good and fit in smaller ears. - Aux Cable - Ipod Accessories - Automotive - Iphone'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information