Sunday 13 February 2011

Woodworking - woodworking


I'm not rating the replacement blades I bought, I'm rating the originals. I bought replacements because I figured I'd need them soon. I was wrong. The originals just keep going and going. I'm impressed! The replacements, which are Makita brand are exactly the same as the originals. Makita 793346-8 Planer Blade for Model 2012 and 2012NB

Check your blades. This goes for all brands of planers. The dullness factor creeps in ever so slowly and you may not be aware that your blades are too dull. I felt the old blades and they seemed sharp, but the normally fairly quiet Makita seemed too loud and the boards were not sliding smoothly through.



The new blades were obviously much sharper and things went back to normal once installed. The Amazon price was the lowest I saw and they arrived quickly, although strangely packed in a big torn-up box.



So, don't be cheap. Be proactive and replace those blades. You spent a lot of money on the machine, so keep it working well. Same goes for bandsaw blades (same basic experience), saw blades, etc. It is an expensive hobby for some and a business expense that can't be circumvented for others.

I've used these blades for kiln dried oak, walnut, cherry and some poplar and pine. None of these present real challenges in terms of wear on the blade or tear out in the wood, but the blades last a long time and give an excellent finish for me.

Hey, its a planer blade. The planer is the the important item. I plane a lot of hard woods, including teak (very, very tough on blades due to the silica content) and these blades seem to last reasoanbly well.

This is a great system for changing blades, No settings just follow instructions, knives stay very sharp and long lasting. I just planned 100 Board feet of black Walnut and still ready for more use. The only time I changed blades is I gave it a nail to eat.

This planer is just great. Haven't actually used the replacement blades yet but have no reason to believe that they would be any less effective than the originals. I've already planed nearly 500 ft of cedar and even though it's a very soft wood, the blades are just like new!

Please Call 1-800-462-5482 {1-800-4MAKITA} choose option for English or Spanish, Then choose 4 for parts, then choose language again, (Tech Support is on a different system) and we will get blades to you usually within a week. The hours are 8am to 8pm Eastern time, Monday through Friday.



If I have infringed on anyone's rights or have technically (shopped) this seller, then please remove this review and the preceding one as well. - Woodworking'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Woodworking - woodworking woodworking Woodworking - woodworking