Sunday 13 February 2011

Playstation 3 - hdmi, hdtv


I have to say this the no-name switch outperforms the pros. I needed to connect my ps3 (hdmi) and dish receiver (hdmi) to an hdtv which only had a dvi input (using an hdmi to dvi cable). I tried the sony str-dg720 receiver for hdmi switching, then the monoprice hdmi switcher. Neither worked (the sony manual says it doesn't play well with hdmi-dvi cables, so I was going out on a limb there).



Now this little baby on the other hand, comes with extremely poor written instructions (think google translation of a foreign language manual), so I connected it not even expecting it to work. But wonders! Not only does it switch flawlessly between the ps3 and the dish receiver (producing a perfect output), it even has a "priority" function which works perfectly.



Basically, the dish hdmi port always outputs a signal, even on standby, so I keep it on a lower priority input (port 2). I've connected the ps3 to port 1, so if I turn on the ps3 this switches automatically to the ps3. When the ps3 is powered off, it automatically switches back to the dish receiver.



It's great to find a product which actually performs as advertised. Kudos to the manufacturer and CE compass (the amazon seller I bought this product from). 100% worth the money. Ultra High Performance HDMI Switcher, 3to1 Switch

This is a very small plastic box that has an ominous connector for power. No power supply is provided. No matter. It works without it.



It comes with a small remote control and receiver. I'm not sure why you would need it. The priority scheme lets you power up a device to switch to it. This is what you want and need.



It takes a few seconds to stabilize but then works fine.



This doesn't look like much but it works great!!!



I have a DVD player and a Tivo HD, both with HDMI outputs. My 1080i TV has only one HDMI input. By connecting the two with the Tivo having priority, I'm able to turn on the DVD player and it will switch to it. When I'm done, I turn off the power and I'm back to Tivo. What could be more elegant!



Update: I wanted to change to 5 stars but the software won't let me.

I received this HDMI switch a few days ago and it works great. When researching it, I tried to find experiences of others with the Roku Netflix player, and I could not find any. So if anybody else wants to know my Roku experience, here it is:



My configuration is as follows: I have a DVD player, a cablebox/DVR, and the Roku player. If you've read the reviews you know that if multiple inputs are always "on", the switch cannot "guess" which one to switch to. In my configuration, the cable box and the Roku are always on.



What I have done is attached the devices in the order shown above - the DVD is "1", the cable box is "2" and the Roku is "3". So when I turn the DVD player on, the switch detects that and switches to DVD mode.



When I turn the DVD off, the switch automatically goes to the second device, which is always the cable box (even if I had been watching the Roku earlier).



The only ways to get to the Roku are to tap the button on the switch, or to use the remote. And that's fine, since I use the Roku much less frequently than the cable box or the DVD player. If it was other way around (use the Roku more than cable), I would just reverse the two devices, and plug the Roku into "2" and the cable into "3".



Speaking of the remote, I had no problem programming my universal remote to simulate the provided HDMI switch remote, so I have filed the provided remote away.



Finally, there is a feature that I don't believe I have seen mentioned in other reviews: the switch itself, and all its ungainly wires (3 input, one output) can be stowed discreetly BEHIND the DVD player or cable box or whatever. In effect it can be invisible. Infrared remotes cannot access hidden components, so they have provided a little mouse-shaped IR receiver, which I have placed on top of my DVD player. It is attached to the hidden switch via a provided cable, and it responds very well to my remote control



One thing I didn't notice was that this purchase included a single 3-foot HDMI cable. Since I didn't notice that I bought one extra cable (from the same Amazon supplier (CE Compass). So if you need cables to go with this switch, remember one comes with it. The extra cables that I got were dirt-cheap and they all seem to work great.



So we're very happy with this little purchase and fully recommend it.

This is a great HDMI Switch at a fraction of the cost of similar switches. It's a generic no-name device so it took a little guess work to find it in the logitech harmony setup. Here's what you need to set it up as a new device in the harmony software:



Device

------

Amplifier->Audio/Video Switch



Manufacturer

------------

Game Infinity



Model

-----

HDMI-3X1Switch



Works perfectly. - Hdmi - Hdmi Switcher - Hdtv - Great Price'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information