Wednesday 2 February 2011

Waffle Maker - wafflemaker, waffle iron


We are so happy we bought this wafflemaker. We've never owned one before. We tried the recipe for the classic buttermilk waffles (from the Oster user guide book). That recipe is surely a keeper. It was the best tasting recipe for buttermilk waffles. We've tried a TV chef's waffle recipe, which was forgettable, in my opinion. I'll post some pictures next time.

***Tip: If you made the waffles ahead of time or have any leftovers, the wafflemaker can be used to reheat them. They crisp up again. Just adjust it to the minimum temperature setting, wait for wafflemaker to heat up, then place the precooked waffles.



My husband wanted one of those $300 commercial waffle makers like at the hotel breakfast bars. . . but those were just too pricey and HUGE. This one is compact and makes superb waffles. It heats up fast, cooks them perfectly, nothing sticks to it, and it is really easy to clean up the drips.

For even waffle cooking I recommend using a flip over waffle maker like this one. I tried the simple non-flip and the bottom is usually much more brown and the top is soft.



I tried this one and works great and cooks 1 big 1.5" thick waffle in under 2 minutes.





Very easy to use.

1) plug in and let it warm up. wait for green light.

2) pour batter on the bottom groove (once you pour it in it's already started cooking.

3) close and flip it over (don't worry it will not spill out) Once you flip it . the uncooked batter will fall down and start to cook .

4) wait for green light and flip back. open up and take out. Very beautiful



I recommend that you try the recipe that is in the book for buttermilk or Belgium waffles...they are really delicious and not that hard to put together.

I tried buying those instant mix on Amazon and the home made recipe in the book wins 2nd to none. Plus you're save a lot of $$$ using the recipe and make more...



I recommend you buy pam or any other cooking spray and spray gently on the top and bottom plate for easy non-stick cooking.







The only downside to owning one of these is that you can't remove the plates for washing.

so you have to wait till it's cooled down in order to clean the grooves manually with water or mild soap. It may take you 10-15 minutes to clean it. But that's all part of the fun and worth it.



minus 1 star for non removable plate. But for under $50 ...you make like 20 waffles it pretty much pays off.

The very first waffle made with a package waffle mix was so perfect, I was absolutely stunned, perfect colour, crispness and perfectly cooked. The next one was made with a different mix, (this one required addition of an egg, while the other required just water and oil) because of course I had to be the experimenter on my first try! Bad idea! Although I did wait for the green light to come back on as recommended, it seemed as if that mix required a different heat setting and cooking time, it was quite brownish, appearing somewhat burnt, and although I did eat it, no one else wanted to touch it! The texture seemed undercooked but it did not taste that way. I forgot to lower the heat on my second attempt and got similar results. The last one I managed to remember to lower the heat, but I think the colour was still a bit brown although it cooked better at the lower heat. That's all I can say right now. I am eager to try a simple homemade mix as opposed to a packaged batter and I am definitely going to try storing batter because preparing them fresh each time seems like it defeats the purpose of speed! I have not attempted storing any yet, so I will update the review if I have any new observations to add.

In terms of physical appearance, the unit looks solid enough for the price and though the cord is a bit on the short side, I guess that's not a big issue. The handle bends to the side which I thought was to make it easier to turn but apparently that's for storage purposes. I was hoping that the flipping would activate the cooking process as in the cool ones they have at the hotel, but oh well....

One thing to note, I was looking through the little instruction book (which actually includes recipes btw) hoping for a "quick start" protocol, but there was none. I did not know what heat setting to start at, so I started at the highest, and it turned out to work for the first waffle but not the others, so I believe a bit more guidance would have been great, which is somewhat of a concern and mainly the reason for the 4 stars instead of 5.

We just cooked our first waffles in this waffle maker this morning. Great waffles. It reminds me of the waffles you can make at hotels, which is exactly what I was going for. Crispy on the outside, fluffy inside. Big and thick. Yummo. I did not buy from Amzaon, because Target actually had it for about $6 less in store. But, based on my first impression, I would recommend this waffle maker. - Wafflemaker - Waffle Maker - Belgian Waffle Maker - Waffle Iron'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information