Wednesday 2 February 2011

Cordless Impact Driver - impact drivers, driver


Within 10 minutes this awesome little tool became my absolute favorite item in the shop. I do a lot of quick and dirty assembly of things out of 2x4s and 3" drywall screws. Before I had this driver, I used a drill to drive those screws. Every time I did, by the time I was done my wrist would be killing me. Why? Because to drive a long phillips head screw through 2 2x4s you have to push really hard on the drill to keep it engaged with the head of the screw. And even then, it would often strip the screw head and/or fail to sink the screw all the way.



Now enter the ps40-2a. With this thing I can drive 3" drywall screws all day long, and I can hold the tool with two fingertips when I do it. I'm not kidding. 2 fingertips and no pressure is all that's required to hold this tool in place while it pounds your screws through the wood effortlessly.



It surprised me at first that this thing is slower than a drill. It is also quite loud when the hammer action engages (I use ear protection with it). But neither of those things is enough to dampen my 5 star rating. If you ever have to drive long screws into wood and know what I'm talking about with hurt wrists from pushing on your regular drill, then order this thing today. You'll be so glad you did. Bosch PS40-2A 12-Volt Max Lithium-Ion Impact Driver

This is the smallest & yet the most powerful driver I've ever used. It jams 'em right in.



I'm just a DIYer but some recent big projects needed lots of screwing into 2x4s. Floor fixes & bathtub support replacement! Bang! Bang! Bang! When that impacter hits - it's noisy! And the screws go in FAST! Interestingly they come OUT even faster, shockingly fast, like a 2 1/2 inch screw comes out in a second. Cool!



THIS is the tool they warn you about with the "torque settings" (which I never had a problem with set on MAX) adjustments on other tools. A light touch does most jobs fine. It will drive screws THROUGH whatever, and thin soft wood cracks & splinters like candy! Oopsy!



Pro's may want to go with the Makita BTD142HW 18V for a job site, but this is 2/3 the strength (more that enough), 2/3 the weight, and can be found for 2/3 the price(or less). Nicely rounded out specs.

I bought this for work, not just light weekend duty. I'm a bit disappointed with its lack of speed, power, and the amount of noise it makes. It has so little power that you can grip a normal bit driver chuck in your hand and it will begin to ratchet the impact drive. It won't drive a 3" screw fully into pressure treated framing lumber, at least not within a time span I was willing to wait. Plus, it's not much lighter than a normal lithium ion makita 18v or panasonic 14.4v impact driver. With either of those a 3" screw can usually be driven ~3/4 of the way in before it even starts to impact drive, and at probably twice the speed.



Another annoyance is the trigger, which binds up a bit if your finger is not square to it and if you don't put pressure on it perfectly straight back. If your finger is just on the lower edge the trigger will twist a bit and bind up, not wanting to push in. This is particularly annoying when driving screws above your head or any odd angle where you're not easily able to hold the driver with your hand/arm straight back. Also, the trigger/driver is not as sensitive as some other drivers I've used, especially panasonic's. The trigger lightly depressed will turn on the LED lighting, but there's no super slow speed which makes rotating your screwdriver bit to line up with a screw (especially slotted screws) a real pain.



Not to say this is a bad product, as overall it's a nice little set. The size is nice and the battery life is pretty good and fast charging, plus the soft carrying case is small and handy. It's also about half the cost as other drivers I've used. I just wish there had been a review where someone had compared this driver to a more serious product.

I picked PS40-2A up because I thought I'd like it better than a friend's Bosch PS20-2A. It turns out that I like the PS20-2A better because it has an adjustable clutch and fits in my pocket nicely. That isn't to say that the PS40-2A isn't good, it's that it isn't the tool that will be sitting in my pocket when I need it. I have since acquired a PS20-2A and love it.



I have used the additional power and impact driving of the PS40-2A quite a few more times than I care to admit. For example, those pieces of sheet metal that didn't quite line up anymore and isn't this a self tapping screw? Yup. Buzzzz. That ain't moving.



Over all, this is a very solid little beastie that has done some impressively impactful driving. It isn't an air tool, but I tend not to have air tools on the roof, in the attic, etc.



Summary: if you don't already have a cordless driver, go for the Bosch PS20-2A . If you're a tool junkie and like the good stuff, then the Bosch PS40-2A will make your day. - Lithium - Driver - Impact Drivers - Bosch'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information