Wednesday 2 February 2011

Ipod Car Mount - electronic device holder, car kit


I've had suction cup holders, dash board pad holders, vent mounted holders, everyone was in the way of something, or resulted in a very long reach to get to the devise it was holding which became a problem while driving. This one fit nicely in my cup holder between the seats. It's no big deal to remove it and put it back when needed. The nice thing about it is it's always right at my finger tips. The flexible goose neck arm allows for it to be configured to clear just about anything in the console area. The cradle is quickly and easily adjustable so it can effectively hold my phone or my PDA - which is my MP3, my GPS, and my voice recorder. When it comes to my phone, it places the phone close enough with the phone's speaker phone feature on that it turns my phone into an entirely hands free operation while driving. Arkon SM423-G Cup Holder Mount With Flexible Swivel Gooseneck and Mega Grip Holder for iPhone, HTC EVO 4G, HD2, Incredible, Droid X, Galaxy S

I ordered this because I wanted something to hold my HTC EVO on long car trips over the holidays. I also didn't want to get anything with suction mounts as they can give thieves the idea to break into your car. I'm not a big fan of the friction mounts so I figured I would give this a try.



It works great and it the mount holds securely to the cup holder if you make sure to adjust it out enough. My truck has cup holders in the floorboard between the front seats so that is where I put this. I'm not sure I would want to us it if I had to put it in the cup holders on the arm rest though. It might get in your way there.

Initially this mount seems good but there are some design flaws that just make it poor.



I mounted the iPhone 4 in a Prius cupholder.



It fits the phone fine so thats good. The bad thing is it doesn't securely fit in the cupholder. This mount sits in the cup holder and spreads in two directions to secure a fit. Problem is if you turn left or right or speed up or slow down the mount and phone will move in two directions. Its long neck arm doesn't help with the momentum. I'm constantly adjusting it.



Also, the little wheel to adjust the secure fit is tiny and difficult to tighten. Another poor design.



So I give it 2 stars out of 5 and I would not buy this again.

I love the Arkon Mega Grip Holder. I had one in my last vehicle and this one is for my new Honda CRV. In order to keep the CRV airbag panels clear, I decided on the cup holder mount. I am very pleased with the result. I would strongly recommend it to friend or family.



One reviewer has warned that the gooseneck is rigid although decorated to look like it is flexible. Frivolous aesthetics aside, I do agree that the center piece is much more rigid than I expected. On the other hand, it was pretty easy to bend the gooseneck into a proper position. It takes two hands and you can't do it while it is in the cup holder but it can be done.



The advantage for me is that once I get the gooseneck shaped as I wish, it will NOT flop around or even bend from light, unintentional contact. My conclusion is that my HTC EVO 4G will be better protected. I suppose it is POSSIBLE, during a horrendous accident in which one or more passenger are not strapped in, that someone could be impaled by the gooseneck -- possible but unlikely.

I like it.. its good. Near to my hand and to the charger. BUT it may be safer to have the mount throw the road view such as on windshield or in the air condition. So if you were using cellphone while driving, your eyes will still be looking to the road. It doesn't fit the cup holder in the Camry 2000 perfectly, but its OK.

Pros: Sturdy, fair quality, phone fits well (Samsung Galaxy) with easy access to screen and buttons.

Cons: Doesn't fit snugly in the cup holder in the 2007 Camry (still functional but rattles), surprised to find that the Gooseneck is not pliable.

If you have a cup holder in the dash then this is the mount for you. This will most likely not be ideal for you if your cup holder is on the door or on the console next to you. I have a slide out cup holder on my dash under and to the right of my stereo and environment controls so this mount is perfect for me.

Take into account and be sure that the mount will not be in you or your passengers way or block and interfere with access to anything in your vehicle. If none of these things are an issue for you then I can't recommend this product more highly.



After road testing it I noticed that at times (depending on the road you're on), the mount shakes and moves but only a little and should be expected when you basically have a post holding your phone that's sticking out of a cup holder in a moving vehicle. But I've yet to hit a wrong button and it's not so bad when it occurs that I can't read the screen so this is non issue for me. It's also a great trade off to the alternatives out there. A winshield mount would be too far away to easily reach in my pickup and besides, they really are a red flag to thieves. Even when your gadget isn't mounted they often will break your lock or window to ckeck your vehicle anyways. At least in my area. Also you can easily take this mount out of the cup holder and hide it when you leave your vehicle.

Dash mounts I have no knowledge of other than a lot of bad reviews from those who've experienced them. I don't know of a practical place where I would put one in my vehicle anyways. So when I heard about this cup holder mount I had to try it, and I'm glad I did



This mount seems pretty universal. It works perfect for my Droid X even with all the cables attached. - Electronic Device Holder - Car Kit - Iphone Mount - Ipod Car Mount'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information