Monday 7 February 2011

Presentation Remote - laser pointer, pointer


Offering multiple presentations every month, I have had the opportunity (misfortune?) of handling many other remotes. This remote allows me to use it as a mouse or to advance my presentation, but with a switch on the side, I don't have to worry about doing the one while wanting the other. An example from a recent presentation with a different remote: the remote was a combined mouse/remote. During a presentation, was trying to advance to the next slide, but mistakenly thumb over the mouse control, turning on the selection screen over the slide. "No problem, I'll just scroll down to 'Next Slide'." But, wait, then mistakenly hit the button that went to the previous slide. Very frustrating and distracting.



This remote allows me, at the flick of the swith on the side, to move between the distinct functions. For someone like me (with larger hands), that is nice.



Also, I don't feel like I am holding a Chiclet! While I have larger hands and some may feel comfortable holding a remote the size of a mail stamp, I don't. This remote is not too large, even for smaller hands, but it is easy for me to feel the separate buttons without having to look at the remote.



The range is good, as well. While standing in the front of a 200+ auditorium, I had no problems advancing the presentation which was run from the laptop in the back of the room.



When I am giving presentations, now, and I am at another facility and they offer their own remote, I ask to use my own...They may look at me funny - really, who has their own remote? - but it is well worth it. Satechi SP400 Smart-Pointer (Red) 2.4Ghz RF Wireless Presenter with Mouse Function and Laser Pointer

I am very happy that I purchased the Smart-Pointer from Satechi. I teach both undergraduate and graduate students, and I also give presentations at state and national conferences. Rather than being chained to my laptop, I chose to purchase the Smart-Pointer so I could move around more freely to engage my audience. I have used several other remote pointers, and they were very finicky and didn't work very far from my laptop. In comparison, I have used the Smart-Pointer at distances of up to 70 feet from my laptop with no problem. The range is excellent if you like to move around.



The switch on the side of the Smart-Pointer changes the function of the buttons, so I haven't experienced any mix-ups, and the built-in laser function is great.



The seller supplied the first pair of AAA batteries in the box, so I was able to practice with the Smart-Pointer immediately. My laptop had no problem recognizing the device, and within minutes of opening the package, I was ready to go. Not that color matters in terms of functionality, but I purchased the red one to match my computer. Very nice!



The Smart-Pointer is lightweight, even with the batteries installed. It also fits my hand perfectly and slips easily into a pocket if I don't need to use it for a little while. The buttons are easy to find by touch, and I especially like the case that is included with the unit. The small zippered case measures approximately 5.5" by 4" and easily accommodates the pointer, the USB wireless connector, and 6 AAA batteries. (I believe in being prepared!)



Using a small remote that works with my laptop is much nicer than using a bulky projector remote. Because I had used other remote pointer units, I knew what I was looking for, and the Smart-Pointer has been very helpful to me. In fact, I am recommending this product to others at my university. You can buy this one with confidence.

This presenter could not be simpler to connect to a Macbook. I plugged the dongle in and a window opened suggesting that I might need to follow some actions through if the devise I was attempting to connect was a keyboard. Otherwise, if the devise is not a keyboard, it stated, I could disregard the prompt. I closed that window and, lo and behold the presenter was instantly fully functional !

I am also very satisfied with the performance the SP-400 provides. I had been using the remote that Mac supplied with my Macbook and it worked fine as long as I had a good clear line-of-sight shot at my computer.

On a few occasions, when I found myself off-center from the front of my Mac the function of the remote was impaired. How different this little presenter is ! The RF receiver picks up my clicks no matter where I point the presenter. Distance is no issue either. The range is fantastic (spec: up to 100 ft) !

The laser pointer is intense and powerful as well. As to the mouse function, as is true with most all multi-function presenters, the mouse feature works, but would probably not be something you would use a lot due to restricted directionality ( pointer moves up and down, left and right with arrow buttons - no true scrolling).

The SP 400 is smaller than the pictures seem to depict. It's just large enough to cradle in your hand comfortably and the heft is ideal as well.

Fantastic for Mac and probably the other guys as well ! - Laser Pointer - Pointer - Powerpoint - Wireless Presenter'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information