Monday 7 February 2011

Ipod Clock Radio - ipod dock, clock radio


There are some things I really like about this clock, and some things that really annoy me.



First the annoying things:

1) The *#&% scroll wheels. MESSAGE TO ALL MANUFACTURERS: Just because Apple has a scroll wheel doesn't mean you have to as well. They are not the be all and end all of UI devices. They work for the iPod because you hold it in your hand and you can navigate with your thumb. For an alarm clock this is not the case and (at least for me) they tend to be clunky and difficult to use. I would have gotten a clock without them, but I couldn't find one in my price range that also had good reviews.



2) The Backlight. I actually saw this issue in another review and bought the clock anyway. The problem is that the backlight is either on or it's off. Though there are ostensibly three dimmer modes, they do absolutely nothing that I can tell. When it's on, it's brighter than your desk lamp, and when it's off you can't see the screen in the dark. I keep it off, but then if I want to know what time it is in the middle of the night, I have to reach over to the clock and hit the dimmer switch.



3)The alarm volume is the same as the music volume. This is annoying if I want to listen to music as I go to sleep because when I'm trying to sleep I want the music quiet, but unless I somehow turn up the volume in my sleep, the alarm will be just as quiet in the morning. Pretty poor design, there.



Things I like:

1) There's a power button. I was really stoked when I saw this because my old iPod clock had absolutely no way to turn off the iPod/Radio/Aux Jack short of hitting the sleep button until the sleep timer hit zero.



2) With the volume up the alarm is loud. Really loud. I don't know if my neighbors appreciate that as much as I do, but at least it wakes me up in the morning. Most of the time.



3) There's a nap function. Enough said.



4) It does what it's supposed to and does it reasonably well. The sound is good, and I can hear it from across my apartment if I want to listen to podcasts while I do housework.



Overall, I'm happy with this iPod dock alarm clock. It works with a minimum of fuss, and for it's price it's a pretty good piece of equipment. Coby Digital Dual Alarm/Clock Radio with iPod Docking System (Black)

I saw another review of this clock that indicated the backlighting (neon blue) was too bright. I figured this was a small complaint I could live with -- but I was wrong. Even with the dimmer option engaged the blue light is almost bright enough to use for reading -- think 1970's disco light without the flashing. If you keep the clock away from the bed it is probably not such a problem. While interesting to see my wife in such light, it is not so good for sleeping. Otherwise the clock performs relatively well but this single aspect is enough for me to send it back.

I ordered this for my spacious office, everyone would love a bose, but I just didn't need all of THAT! I just wanted something I could listen to the radio on & also my ipod which is a 3rd Generation Nano - which fit nicely. I am loving it. Its shiny and looks sytlish. The light does not bother me, since its my office - it has 3 settings bright blue, blue & off. The sound quality is great with both ipod & radio. It has a great pointed sound at my desk that doesn't overflow into other areas, but if you TURN IT UP you can get a great radius & not lose sound quality. It also comes with a line out just in case your ipod didn't fit, but the slot looks large enough to handle other versions. I am satisfied.



I did not find the dials objectionable & was able to figure out the clock/ipod/radio functions without reading the manual. Set up took all of 2 minutes, mostly trying to find a plug ;]



I read in another review that it would be helpful to have a remote. I do not need one as I can reach it from where I sit to write this review - but the description says it comes with one. It does not.

I have been searching for a good ipod alarm clock system for my dorm room and was slightly apprehensive of this product given the low price as compared to so many others. But it just arrived today and its amazing. The sound quality is above average, which is excellent considering its under 40 bucks! It has two alarms which are very useful, and has a great radio reception. The backlight can be dimmed down so it is nice. The only con is a remote would have made this perfect

This ruined my ipod. It was not capatible with my ipod even though the instruction manual had the ipod's picture. Apparently it was the wrong generation and now my ipod is ruined. It froze and I had to replace it. Coby said it was not compatible so beware before you dock your ipod. The sound and ease of use is not very good either. I should have went to the store and shopped. I will think twice before ever buying from Coby. - Ipod Clock Radio - Ipod Dock - Clock Radio - Ipod Radio'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information