Monday 7 February 2011

Compact Flash Card - cf card, photography


So far I've been happy with the performance of this Sandisk product. I've used Sandisk memory for some time now in my Canon SLRs and have never had any trouble with any of their cards. They do cost more but I feel it's worth it to have dependable CF cards. As far as performance, the Extreme cards are excellent. Until the buffer fills, my Canon 7D shoots about the same number of burst shots with the Extreme (60 MB/sec) as with my older Extreme III (about 20 RAW (18 MP) images at 8+ fps). However, after the buffer fills, there's a huge difference between the two cards. With the Extreme III, the camera chokes very quickly and takes much longer to finish writing the data. With the Extreme, I can continue shooting about 2 fps for several seconds. Sandisk 8GB Extreme CF memory card - UDMA 60MB/s 400x (SDCFX-008G-A61, Retail Package)

This card is everything I was looking for. Allows for continuous shooting, downloads fast, almost impossible to completely fill the card in one setting in that one gets tired of shooting before the card is full. 60MB per second is FAST.

This is a very fast compact flash card available at a great price that I use in my Canon 50D digital SLR camera. I do a lot of digital picture shooting in RAW file format that has the camera dealing with very large file sizes, and the ScanDisk Extreme 60MB/s card is able to write those large files to the card with very impressive speed, even when taking several shots in succession. And the 8GB storage capacity is adequate for essentially all my digital camera needs.

I purchased this card for use with a Canon 5D Mark II DSLR and compared to the Extreme 3 cards that I owned prior to this, the increase in speed is noticeable. I wasn't really able to notice any difference in-camera (I don't usually shoot at high frame rates) and recording 1080p video at 30fps works fine on both cards, but I did notice an increase in transfer speeds with my UDMA enabled USB2 card reader. I can realistically transfer 1.5GB of files in about 40 seconds (transferring to a 7200RMP firewire 800 hard drive on my Mac) To transfer those same files from the Extreme III card, it takes about 53 seconds. Definitely not 2x as fast, but technically this card costs less than the Extreme III! So, for the money, I am satisfied. Highly recommended.



(posted this review on both product pages for this card, for some reason Amazon has them listed in two places)

I have been using Sandisks for years and after buying a new Canon 5D Mark II with its 21MB files, I needed more capacity than my current 4GB cards would hold so I have started by buying this 8GB card which will get me about 300 images (depending on ISO, etc..). I will ad a couple more and probably a 16GB card as well. I had a couple of problems with Lexars back a few years ago and switched to Sandisk and the only card I have had a problem with was due to my own mistake by forgetting to turn the camera power off when inserting the card which caused it to short out. I have been very happy with the many Sandisk CF cards I have owned over the years and they are all still working fine. I also highly recommend the Sandisk Firewire CF Card Reader - it is so much faster than the USB 2.0 card readers :)Sandisk Extreme FireWire Reader

I am shooting a Canon 7D which can deliver up to 8 fps. You will still fill up the camera buffer as always but this card really unloads the buffer very quickly. It is a big improvement over the SanDisk Extreme III that I normally use and as a avid sports shooter it really helps. Little to no waiting for the buffer to empty when shooting jpeg. The camers is rated at 15 RAW files in burst mode and normally I would need to wait 5 or 6 seconds after filling the buffer before I could shoot again (these flies are about 25 meg in size). With this card I ger about 19 exposures before it stops but is ready to go again with an empty buffer in about 2 seconds. This card is expensive but I have always had a positive experience with Sandisk products. Also, maybe the extra cost doesn't make sense for you if you don't shoot action/sports events and speed is not a factor.



I am very pleased with this purchase.

I feel that this is the best combination of size and recording speed for a memory card. I'm usually shooting RAW and the 60 MB/s speed comes in pretty handy when capturing 10+ MB files in continuous shooting mode. I also have the Sandisk 16GB version, but it's not safe to put all your eggs in one basket. Which is not a knock on the stellar built of these cards, just a personal preference.

I have only had the card for a month or so, but so far the card has been great. The card is much faster than my previous cards, allowing me to take more photos and the motordrive does not have to wait for the card to catch up. I use this card in my Nikon D3. Download is fast too. Nothing but good things to say about this card. Previously I used 4GB SanDisk Extreme IV cards and these are much faster. Well worth the money. - Cf Card - 8gb - Photography - Camera Storage'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information