Sunday 20 February 2011

Porter Cable - woodworking, porter cable


I owned a Black and Decker finish sander that I always used to sand from 80 grit to 220. I noticed that it was taking so long, and then finally I broke my sander. So I bought a Makita BO3700 finish sander (excellent finish sander!!!), but it is a finish sander, not a tool mark remover. So for the last few projects, I've been scraping, then hand sanding until I was ready for 180-220 grit final sanding. Normally this used to take me hours. So much so that I started regretting woodworking (GOD forbid!!!). So after reading some reviews of this, and may other random orbit sanders, I decided to take a chance, and buy one.

Well, after many reviews, I opted for the Porter Cable 343K. I also bought some Norton paper, in 60/100/150 grit. After tapering some table legs, I loaded it with 60 grit, and started sanding. I was amazed how fast the burn marks (cherry), and saw marks sanded out, with no swirl marks!! After going through all the grits to 150, I decided to grab my Makita, and finish it out. All the tool marks were gone, all the scratches were gone, and I finished my legs, and aprons (4each) in 1 hour!! I'm currently gluing up the frame, and will final sand again in 220, then apply my finish. I can't believe go fast, and how thorough this P/C sander works, but then again, it's a Porter Cable. I think I'm going to order some of the Mirka paper on Amazon. In a previous career, I used to sell Mirka, and all the body shops always told me how great the Mirka paper was. Looks like I'm gonna find out on my next project!!! Don't hesitate to order one of these, it is a great sander!!! Porter-Cable 343K 5-Inch Random Orbit Sander Kit - Hook & Loop Pad

I've been through 2 of the 333 model sanders. They were decent sanders and my main complaint was the cost of replacing the velcro pad. My local P-C supplier charges close to $30! As it was time for a new pad, I decided to spend an extra $30 and try the new version of the sander.



It's definitely improved. The feel in hand is far more comfortable and they seem to have refined the clutch mechanism so that it practically stops when you lift if from the workpiece, which is great because you can put it down without waiting for it to stop spinning. Another improvement is the plastic hood which goes over the pad is enlarged enough so that you can go into an inside corner without damaging the pad or the workpiece.



As with other reviewers, I've had problems with the dust canister falling off. Unlike like the old model, you now keep the base of the canister in place and remove the cylinder to reveal a multi-sized vacuum hookup. This is a great feature that holds the vac hose more securely than the old style and puts the hose in a far better position so that it's not at all in the way. Since the overall result is a design improvement, I can live with duct taping the canister in place.



At first I was irked that they switched to an 8-hole pad, but mine came with some 8-hole paper from Lowes and it does work better for dust collection. And I think P-C was the last holdout of the 5-hole pattern, so it makes sense for 8-hole to become standard. If you have a huge stash of 5-hole paper, the other reviewer who mentioned switching pads has a great idea. Besides, you are going to need to replace the pad eventually, so hold onto the 8-hole for later.



The case is much better than the old ones. I don't use the cases that come with tools because I have big work boxes for my remodeling business, but I'll reuse this case for some other purpose. P-C and Dewalt are now under the same ownership, which is kind of scary, but it also seems to have yielded some nice cross-engineering. This case as well as some of the design features of the new sander are clearly Dewalt.



I've also got a 6" P-C right angle sander that is great for large flat work or just hogging material, but this sander is much easier to control and more comfortable to use. The 6" is really a two-handed tool.



Lastly, I've yet to pop the top off, but it's a nice feature that it can be removed to clean out the inside of the machine. My first 333 died because the inside was caked with dust.

I'm partial to Porter-Cable products, and had high hopes for this sander. It replaces a Dewalt RO sander. I chose the P-C because I liked the dust collection arrangement and the ability to connect easily to a vacuum hose. Unlike some of the other reviewers I had no problem making a firm connection, but that may be because of the hose I used. And I also like the action - the sanding job is quick and smooth. What I don't like, and it could just be that I've got a lemon, is that the unit vibrates far more than my DeWalt did. Sanding for more than 5 minutes tires my hand out with intense high-frequency vibration. Despite the other appealing aspects of the sander, this vibration problem would send me back to the DeWalt.

I ordered this after my old 5-hole model 333 finally gave out. I have a fairly large inventory of 5-hole sandpaper disks, which I hoped to be able to use with this 8-hole hook & loop pad model. Sure enough, both the 5-hole and 8-hole pads are the same size, with mounting holes in the same position. Thus, I was able to replace the 8-hold pad with a 5-hole one and use my 5-hole paper.

This sander is junk, and I only hope you have looked past the other high reviews and have read what other full time woodworkers have written. PC needs to spend less time trying to make "cool" looking tools and get back to making quality electric hand tools. I typically sand 450+ doors/drawers a year not to mention cabinets. I have been through several PC sanders. When my last 333 broke, I bought this newer version of what I though was a similar machine. Night and day. This sander wanders uncontrollably, leaves swirl marks everywhere, and eats through sandpaper. After 3 hours of sanding it went back in the box to be returned. Bring back the light grey workhorses you were once know for and scrap these dark grey POS's. PC will see no more of my hard earned dollars. - Sander - Woodworking - Porter Cable - Porter-cable'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Porter Cable - woodworking, porter cable porter cable Porter Cable - woodworking, porter cable