Sunday 20 February 2011

Chocolate Milk - snacks, dairy


For anyone who has a Whole Foods Grocery chain in their area, this same product sells for $12.99/case(18 cartons). I discovered this after I paid Amazon's high price of $25! Maybe they will adjust their price downward if more customers share competitive pricing!



My kids love this milk. Admit it is on the expensive side, but it travels well and the kids will drink it (they won't drink other milk.)

Note: Just went to BJs wholesale and paid 12.99 for the 18 pk. Won't buy from Amazon again when there's such a price difference.

My son loves these milks and we used to get them for him when we went to Starbucks. I was familiar with the Horizon brand and thought that the vanilla flavor would be fine. I began to notice a few times after drinking this he would say his tummy hurt or he would act sick(really tired) shortly after drinking them. I read the label and saw 29g of sugar...yeah holy cow!



When we serve him a flavored milk I give him Gerbers smart sips, they have vanilla and mild vanilla flavor with 11g of sugar, I think the mild vanilla has even less grams of sugar. He still loves the taste too! I find them in the babyfood aisle at the grocery store.

We have been customers of the reduced fat version of this product for 7 years. Our son is now 8 and a very picky eater (which is why he was drinking this product in the first place). He is also on the thin side, so he was getting about 800 calories a day from the milk, which he really needs. But the formulation has changed from a reduced fat (2%) to a low fat (1%) version. The taste is noticeable and he will no longer drink it. It seems ironic that a company who sells whole milk, half and half and heavy whipping cream would eliminate a 2% milk product. I applaud them for coming out with a lower fat, lower sugar variety- but they could give their (very) loyal customers the option of buying the original version. I have contacted Horizon and suggested they still provide the 2% product, but they said they "were not taking suggestions at this time". Nice, eh?

I buy these religiously for my kids lunches...until today. From now on I will not buy these ever again. For a quick dinner tonight I put in a pizza and pull out 2 milk boxes for my boys. My youngest takes a sip and shakes his head dramatically. I don't think too much of it (he just turned 2 yesterday), then 10 minutes later he takes another sip with the same reaction. I take a sip out of curiosity and race to the sink to spit out the sludge/liquid rancid milk before I vomit. Now I'm anxiously waiting to see if he gets sick. I used to work in quality control and I now have no faith in Horizon's quality assurance/control practices. Never will I buy this again!

This is almost one of the only ways I can get my daughter to drink milk. They sell it at Starbucks (much cheaper to buy it on Amazon!), so my caffeine addiction has put her into a lot of contact with this product. I recommend it for anyone trying to get their kids to meet the three daily dairy standards; because it's portable, it's easy to slip into the daily routine. Get a different straw, however, because the ones on the boxes are not very good.

There is a national boycott of Horizon products as they are not organic. This company was sold to a large conglomerate a few years ago. Horizon is practicing "Greenwashing" - where a company claims to be sustainable, green, and organic but really is not. Many Co-ops and local health food stores are boycotting Horizon products, including PCC Co-op in Seattle (largest co-op in the country)



Please do some research before paying organic prices to a bogus company.

An absolute favorite in my house. My son would drink ten of these a day if we let him! He even prefers them to the chocolate variety, to which my daughter is partial. This price on Amazon is crazy. I got a pack of these this morning for $13 at my local Acme!

My kids have been drinking this milk for years. My older son is essentially a vegetarian, and we have relied on this milk for a big percentage of his daily protein and calcium. He is also a very picky eater, so he noticed immediately the change to low-fat. I know, it has less sugar, but that's a deal-breaker for him. We're willing to let him have that extra sugar, if that's the price we have to pay for him to get his protein. Needless to say, we will be looking for a different brand.

BTW, I know I'm not alone. I started buying this milk on Amazon because it would sell out at all the stores in the city I live. Now there's a glut of the new low-fat milk at all the stores. - Snacks - Organic - Dairy - Organic Milk - Horizon - Lunch Box'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information