Saturday 15 January 2011

Remote Shutter Release - canon, digital camera accessory


I'd like to knock this thing down to four stars, explaining as I do that the Canon equivalent to this third party substitute is of better build quality and so on. Trouble is, I can't because the Canon equivalent to this remote shutter release is equally as shoddy. At under a fifth the cost and the same level of (admittedly poor) construction as the Canon shutter release, I'd say this bit is a no brainer.



Specifics: By shoddy construction, I mean this shutter release is composed entirely of plastic, just like the Canon model. There's nothing wrong with that--it's just an itty bitty circuitboard that shouldn't be taking abuse anyway--and the build quality itself is fine. The cord seems securely anchored to the device, the button (it only has one) has a nice, tactile feel to it (but doesn't give a very good feedback click at mid press--see below), and the plastic part itself feels solid enough that I don't worry about breaking it from letting it drop and hang from the camera. (I wouldn't let it hit the floor, though.) I've done close to a thousand shots with one unit without having a single hiccup, which puts reliability at least at "good enough for me." Because they are third party, though, I heartily recommend not trusting QC. I keep three tested units in my bag for important shoots. Considering that buying three is still almost half the cost of one Canon unit and considering the Canon unit isn't any more reliable, however, I don't feel at a disadvantage doing this.



My only gripe is a mild one. Because of the poor tactile response when the shutter release button is halfway pressed, it can sometimes be difficult to use whatever function you have tied to half-press shutter button. This is rarely a problem for me because I tend to use these releases for portraits and landscapes (where I use manual focus). YMMV. This problem isn't critical, though. I fully expect it's something you could adapt to with practice, so those who regularly use HPSB shouldn't consider it a dealbreaker. Remote Shutter Release Cord for Canon EOS 5D, 50D, 40D, 20D, & 10D Digital SLR Cameras

I have purchased two of these. One worked for three months, the second one week. It is very fragile...don't dare drop it. I guess for this price they can be disposable but really... should the manufacturer not try a bit more to make them work longer?

This product failed shortly after purchase, I then cut the cord and mounted the cord (with solder iron) from this shutter release to the stock Canon shutter release (RS-60E3) originally made for the XTi, I now can use my Canon XTi shutter (RS-60E3) for my 40D and 5D, which takes the Canon 'N3 connector' not the original mini headphone jack as the XTi uses.

After reading the reviews here, I was a little concerned about how well this product would hold up. But I have now been using it quite heavily for a few weeks, and it seems fine so far. The connector plugs into my camera snugly -- not too tight, not too loose. The button operates smoothly, both on half-press and full-press. And I'm able to easily slide the button lock on for taking Bulb photos. I have no regrets with my purchase.

For it's price it's great. Works as it should. Not the best quality connection to my Canon 50D, become's loose easily, but works perfect. I'm still using mine and just need to puch on the connection now and then to prevent it from coming loose. Considering the price compared to Canon it's a steal.

I've used both this little device and the official Canon one (which costs twice as much), and the build quality and functionality are virtually identical. Which doesn't mean this thing's a tank -- rather, the Canon remote is quite plastic-y, and this one doesn't try to one-up it or fall short. Anyway, this works like a charm. No complaints. Thanks Digital Concepts!

It's great that this thing runs around $4 when the Canon alternative is about ten times that (shame on you, Canon!), but it has a major flaw in that the connector that this manufacturer uses doesn't exactly fit into the Canon socket, with the result that the shutter releases a few times and then stops releasing, forcing me to remove the connector from the socket and reinsert it, something the Canon product has never done. I own 4 of these and they all seem to do it.

I'm a novice who's starting to learn more about photography, and I needed a remote release to take some long shutter photos.



I was searching online and found out the Canon equivalent of this remote shutter release would cost somewhere around the twenties to thirties, which wasn't what I was ready to pay for. So after researching a little bit more, I found this little gem.



Note: THIS WORKS WITH CERTAIN EOS MODELS ONLY, NAMELY THE XXD and some XD series. I'm not sure about xxxD (or the T1i, T2i etc) so please check before you get it..



Pros:

1) works as it should

2) no hassle; plug it into your camera and it works

3) works with the xxD series and xD series.

4) cable is long enough, about 3 ft long. I won't be using it from a far distance, so that's fine with me

5) great bang for buck



Cons:

1) build quality (it's not bad; just that it could be improved. The genuine Canon shutter is made of plastic too)



If you're a novice and want/need a remote release just to learn how to take a few night pictures, GET IT! You'll love it!



If you're an expert, perhaps the genuine Canon would suit your taste better. But I assure you both work just about the same :) The extra cash might be better off spent on better lenses and tripods :) - Camera Accessories - Digital Camera Accessory - Canon - Remote Control'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Remote Shutter Release - canon, digital camera accessory canon Remote Shutter Release - canon, digital camera accessory