Saturday 15 January 2011

Memory Stick - iogear, memory card reader


I picked this up because I had purchased a micro sdhc 4gb card without knowing that I needed an sdhc card reader. I picked the Iogear GFR209 because it was small and convenient and I'm very pleased I did. I don't know about the other person up here with their complaint but I've been able to read & write to 2, 4 & 8gb micro cards. I take this thing everywhere with me since it's small enough to fit in my pocket without me really noticing it. The biggest plus for me is the fact that it (not only read/writes to sdhc cards) has a short corded wire for the usb jack. This works great when room on the pc is limited. I can plug this bad boy up in the tightest of places. I would highly recommend this product to anyone who need a small portable reader/writer and more so to anyone who has a cell phone that takes a micro sd card. IOGEAR 12-in-1 USB 2.0 Pocket Flash Memory Card Reader/Writer GFR209 (Green)

Basic features that I bought it for:



1. Small, lightweight, and short corded as to squeeze-fit onto laptop USB port connector with the adjacent one being used as well.



2. Handle SDHC (secondary) and Memory Stick pro Duo (primary) memory cards.



Result:



Fits great, two USB Disks are identified immediately upon insertion (Windows XP)



4GB SDHC card (Sandisk Ultra II) works perfectly, but is very slow as described in another Amazon Review. Write-speed is about 1.25 MB/sec



4GB Memory Stick Pro Duo (Sandisk Ultra II). Works perfectly and transfers at what appears to be flash limited speeds. Write-speed is about 9 MB/sec and read-speed is about 15 MB/sec measured by timing transfer of a 150MB file between the flash and the computer disk.



Very odd that it's so much slower with the SDHC than with the Memory Stick memory, but fortunately for me the primary use is for the Memory Sticks.

This Card Reader is a very useful tool and serves its purpose. It cost the same as a reader that just reads one kind of memory card. This one reads:Memory Stick,Memory Stick Duo,Memory Stick PRO,Memory Stick PRO Duo,microSD,miniSD Card,Secure Digital (SD) Card,Multi Media Card (MMC),MMCmobile,MMCplus,RS-MMC,Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC). This is a good deal. The green part of this usb is 2in. by 3/4 of an inch. It is half inch thick. The cord with the usb tip is 4 inches long. It is very lightweight and takes no space. I've had it for over a year and no problems with it. It takes about two seconds for it to upload to your computer when you plug it in, very fast. Easy to use.

I bought this to use with my new camera. I use it with SDHC cards 8GB 10x speed and it works fine. Much faster than my old cards and reader.



If the SD cards don't slide into the slot easily there is a fix:There is a metal guide just inside the SD slot that needed bending up a bit with the tip of a small screwdriver so the cards could insert easily. No problem to do this fix. This is probably why some other reviews of this product say the cards are difficult to insert.

IOgear should take this product off the market of specify on the product package about its limitation. This device does not read/write any SD cards with capacity higher than 2GB. This makes this device almost useless. However, it does read/write memory stick cards with higher than 2GB capacity.



I'm disappointed about IOgear selling this product without putting its limitation on the package.

This worked once, and only once. I tried it on three different computers, and the computer will not recognize the device even though it is a plug-and-play device. I know that there is nothing wrong with my SD card, as I can put it in the card reader on my netbook and pull up the files, and it also writes pictures when put into my digital camera.



It is hard to get the SD card into the slot - it feels like it catches and you have to almost force it in. This isn't worth the ten bucks I spent on it.

This reader is very handy. I haven't a single complaint, it works great. It took me a while to figure out how to insert a mini SD card, from my perspective, I needed to flip it "upside down" to make it work. Graphics that communicated this would be helpful, but the unit has worked perfectly for me for SD, mini SD and Micro SD cards.

This unit does indeed read 4 Gb cards. I use it every single day to do so. This is one of the best investments I have ever made. I have been incredibly happy with this product as not only does it read all of my SD cards flawlessly, but I can also stick my Micro SD card in it directly without the adapter. The only flaw that you could truly say that it has is there is no light to indicate that the unit is on, but that's no big deal since it is built well, compact, and easy to use. Plugs in easily to any USB port. - Multi-card Reader - Memory Card Reader - All In One Usb Card Reader - Iogear'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information