Saturday 15 January 2011

Gluten Free Dairy Free Gfdf


I've been gluten free for ten years. I'm o.k. enough that I can slip up a little and only get a little sick: what that means is that if something isn't entirely gluten free, it will make me sick for hours, not days. That's made me tolerant of food that isn't entirely gluten free--I'll eat the not-entirely-gluten-free food for a couple of days, and then start having a reaction, not realizing that is what is happening.



This is only sort of gluten free. You might be able to eat it a few times with only a little bit of distress, but then it will get worse. If you are a celiac on a long-standing gluten free diet, you will slowly get sicker again.



And, your risk of getting colon cancer later in life will go up dramatically, which is apparently what happens to celiacs who eat little bits of gluten throughout their lives. Just because it's not really making you sick, doesn't mean it's not doing damage.



Avoid this, and don't feed it to celiac kids.



Edit: On the gluten-free listservs there are discussions of people getting sick from this. Erewhon has confirmed that they run oat cereals on some of the lines, so if you are a celiac who can't tolerate oats (which I am) this is bad stuff.



Also, they make this in a facility that processes wheat, so it may be legally gluten free (20 ppm or less), but not actually gluten-free. Mixed facilities can have 10 ppm wheat in the air alone.

Gluten-free Rice Krispies



This is a great tasting cereal, but it is NOT gluten free. It took me months to figure how my family kept getting gluten because I trusted the "family" owned Erewhon brand. Guess what? They are no longer family owned. The corporation who makes Skinner Raisin Brand owns them and processes raisin bran in the same plant as the supposedly gluten free Crispy Brown Rice cereal. If avoiding gluten is important to your family's health, then avoid this cereal. It is definitely cross contaminated with gluten.

My name is Annelies and I work for attune foods, the manufacturer of Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice- Gluten Free cereal. Our Erewhon certified gluten free cereals are made in a peanut-free, tree-nut free and dairy-free facility. They are run on a shared line with gluten and we abide by good manufacturing practices to help ensure against cross-contamination. This consists of the machinery being sanitized and thoroughly washed down before the cereal is made. Then after it is made, the cereal is tested to ensure it is less than 20 ppm of gluten. We sent the cereal to a separate facility last fall to double check the levels at which it tested and found it to be less than 5ppm of gluten. In November of 2010, our Erewhon gluten free cereals were certified gluten free by GIG. I hope this helps clarify our current practices as I realize there are reviews dating back many years on amazon.com and thought it would be helpful to update interested consumers of it on amazon.com.

I'm a cereal fanatic, but I've got celiac so I have to choose gluten free cereals. I bought this as a substitute for Rice Krispies so that I could make my favorite cookies, which require that type of rice cereal. The pieces in this cereal are a bit bigger than Rice Krispies. I'm not sure if it was the sweetener or the brown rice, but the flavor just did not appeal to me at all. So I didn't even bother trying to make my cookies. I actually threw out most of the box, which I never do, because every time I tried eating it, it just didn't taste good. I tried it with regular milk and almond milk (I thought maybe the almond milk would flavor it better, nope). I did not have any sort of gluten-related reaction to it. I just didn't like it, and neither did my non-celiac husband.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information