Friday 3 December 2010

Headphones - noise cancelling headphones, headphones


My Panasonic RP-HC500 headphones recently bit the dust after 2+ years of great service, and even then they only died due to a mechanical failure in the headband. I'd been very happy with their performance and longevity, so I was glad to see that the new RP-HC700 headphones had just been released. I've used them for a week now at my workplace, and I have to say that these headphones are a significant improvement over the old ones. There are three major improvements that matter to me:



First, the headband is larger. This was a literal sore point for me on the old headphones; the headband just wasn't long enough for my (apparently large) head. The RP-HC700 headphones fit me quite nicely, with room to spare on the headband.



Second, the ear pads are slightly wider, and they are tapered such that the back of the pad is wider than the front. This means the back of the ear pad holds flush against my skull behind my ear, without pressing against my ear... a much better fit than my old headphones, far more comfortable, and it can only mean less noise leakage as well.



Third, the passive noise deadening of the RP-HC700 headphones is far superior to the old headphones. With the active noise-canceling turned off and playing music at a modest volume, these headphones block out so much noise that I rarely notice anything going on around me. With the noise canceling turned on, the outside world might as well not exist.



If you want to know about the sound quality, I'll warn you that I'm not an audiophile, so I can't offer any deep info... but I can say that I'm quite happy with the sound quality for my purposes. I haven't noticed any distortion from the noise canceling, there's adequate bass and treble response for me, and volume range is great whether driven from my laptop or my iPhone.



Considering the improvements of the RP-HC700 headphones over my old headphones, I would have expected to pay something closer to Bose-level prices for these... but for $100, these headphones are an excellent value. If you're in the market for noise-canceling headphones, jump in and buy these now before the seller catches on and raises the price! Panasonic RP-HC700 Noise-Canceling Headphones

I've owned the HC-500s and a pair of Bose QC2s. Everyone in the family preferred the $75 Panasonic HC-500s to the $300 Bose, that is until the Bose self-destructed in 3 different ways. Both ear-cups delaminated, at least I'd guess that is what you would call it when the foam self destructs. The both ear pieces needed to be held together with cinch ties. (so is that 4 failures already?). Finally one of the sides simply broke apart where no duct tape or cinch ties could work. In the meantime my Pano HC-500s, purchased a couple of months after the Bose show 0 signs of any failure. I just bought the HC-700s as an 2nd set for the HC-500s. From only a few hours test, they are better than the HC-500s, and that is saying a lot. In a few months I would not be surprised to see them selling for a premium over the current $94. In a few years, if history is any lesson they will still be going strong unlike my other headphones (a different companies) units that are taking their place in a landfill somewhere. FYI, I am not an audiophile by any means, but I have enjoyed decent sounding equipment for more years than I can count. If you want head pounding base, then these may not be for you, but if you want decent sounding cans for a decent price then you need check these out for yourself.



One final note. I have not reviewed any other purchase but these phones are sooooo sweeeeeet, I felt I needed to do review this one.

I have had these headphones for 2 weeks now and I am very happy with my purchase. This is my first pair of noise cancelling headphones and I am far from a an expert on them. That being said, I am extremely happy with the sound, comfort and build quality of these headphones. It really seems to me that they would have been more expensive. I was strongly condidering the Panasonic RP-HC500's until I realized that this is the newly released upgrade/update to that model (discovered that by looking on Panasonic's site). I have been following these headphones on Amazon for about a month waiting for a review to show up from someone that knows more about them than I do. I finally decided I couldn't wait and took a chance. I am wondering if the lack of reviews is because Amazon is calling them the OVER EAR NOISE CANCELING 92% in the title instead of the Panasonic RP-HC700 Noise Cancelling Headphones. I am thinking they might sell more if they name them correctly.

No product can ever be entirely perfect but this comes pretty close. Full rich sound with or without noise canceling on. A bit better bass response than the Bose and about the same noise canceling ability. Why pay more for Bose advertising when these will allow you to sleep on a plane just as well. I would like the end of the headphone jack to be thinner to accommodate an iPhone with a case. I had to shave it down a bit with a dremel tool. - Noise Cancelling Headphones - Noise Canceling - Headphones - Panasonic'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information