Sunday 10 May 2009

Salt Grinder - pepper sets, pepper mill


My sister turned me onto OXO kitchenware a few years back. She has issues gripping utensils. I liked them for their construction, how well they work and easy clean up. I saw these mills and loved the look and the quality materials they are made of. They are solidly constructed yet still light enough not to cause issues for those that OXO items were designed.



Both mills have adjustments on the collar above the see-through storage portion. There are little "ears" that allow selection of one of five various settings for "fine" through coarse granules to exit the mill.

I wouldn't call any of the dispensed salt or pepper "fine" but that's perfectly okay for me and my family. Please consider other options if you like "pepper dust" as these puppies just won't grind that fine.



As others have noted, the mills set "upright" with the ceramic teeth facing the sky. It seems a little point, but how often have you lifted your old pepper mill to find flecks on the counter or table top? Filling and actual turning of the base portion to dispense either the pepper or salt is effortless.



I couldn't be more pleased with my purchase. (In fact I have a feeling I know what I will get some family members for a certain upcoming holiday)

Unless you simply don't have access anything other than pre-ground salt, I urge you to get the set that contains two mills, not the pepper mill and salt shaker)



Both mills do come loaded ready for use. I read where some have dumped the peppercorns that came with, to refill them with the identical black peppercorns. Whole spices tend to have a lengthy shelf-life. Upon checking, I see they say peppercorns have about 4 yrs. A few have dumped the salt too. It must be due to their concerns with contamination rather than the salt going bad. Being a hearty soul, I opted to not waste what came to me. Pungent pepper and salt as fine or course as I ask is delivered painlessly in two beautiful little packages. I couldn't be happier with my decision. OXO Good Grips Salt and Pepper Grinder Set

Owned for about a month. Simple mechanism. Sound construction. Course/fine adjust works well. Easy for even a child to turn. Perfect results every time. Just ordered a second set for our beach cottage.

I read the reviews and the main problem seemed to be the pepper didn't grind small enough. I'm no chef but it ground very fine to me. quality was high, nice size. the grinders are made of ceramic. hope they last a long time.

I loved these things at first but after a couple of months the bottom refill cap would randomly fall off spilling the peppercorns all over the place.

After it happened twice I made it a practice to check the bottom refill cap after each use. Sadly it seemed the cap was plotting against me and would fall off

any time I didn't check it. The refill cap cannot twist tight. It is designed to twist and lock into place but the lock part seems to wear out after some use and it will then fall off spilling it's contents after use. One user said the new model has fixed this problem but I don't know.

For a product I paid nearly $40 for I am very disappointed. It's too late to return it.



***Review Edit***

After about 6-7 months another Amazon customer advised me to try Oxo customer service. I contacted them by email and they sent out a new set to me free of charge.

Only problem is it's not the new improved grinder model. It's the same model I have. It has the same problem as the other set. One grinder fill cap is loose and can cause a major spill if it falls off. Looking on the bright side I now have 4 grinders 2 with tight lids 2 with loose lids.

If you receive the old model with the twist lids and they are too loose contact Oxo and they will probably give you a replacement.

These are nice grinders when the lids don't fall off. In 7 months It's happened about 3 times causing annoying spills.

I'm not sure if Amazon is selling the improved model yet. The current picture is not the improved model.

We looked at lots and lots of mills before we bought these. Really incredible value. I love that you set them down on the end that does not do the grinding, so the pepper and salt will not leak out and make a mess. I agree with some of the other reviews that say that the finest grind on the pepper doesn't get really, really fine, but I'm not at all troubled by that. I'm buying a set for my mother and father.

We very much like this Oxo grinder set. First, we like the fact that the grinder part faces up, when placed on the table. No more messy spills or container underneath needed. Second, they are easy to use, fill and adjust. Third, they have color-coded ceramic grinding plates and the overall design seems sturdy and long-lasting. They grind well. What we don't like is that the fill stoppers fit a bit on the loose side and come loose a little too easily, when you don't want them too. (UPDATE: After trying several fixes, we solved this problem with a very small rubber band used like an o-ring on the cover.) And then there is the color, if you like the black/stainless look, they are fine, but in our ivory/white kitchen, with our ivory/lightly pastel floral dishes, they don't look the best. But, if going for function, they are great. We wish they were a little lower priced, but would purchase again.

My girlfriend bought a disposable salt/pepper grinder set from a store a while back. I though it was weird, but I didn't say anything. Turns out, it was weird. She had no idea they were disposable, and had expected to be able to refill them when they ran out.



"Not without a circular saw and super glue," I said.



But then I went on Amazon and ordered this set, and surprised her with it when it arrived.



"These are better. You can refill them," I said. She agreed. Booyah. Brownie points for the unexpected grinder set.



So now that we've had a chance to use them? These are fantastic grinders. The build quality is excellent - the moving pieces fit nicely without any wiggle, but aren't so tight that you struggle with them. The clear acrylic portion is thick and sturdy. The stainless steel accents are nice as well. The coarseness adjuster slides smoothly and clicks positively into each position. And it's effective, too. The grinding mechanism is much nicer than the cheapo disposable ones, which were basically just plastic teeth. These are ceramic for added strength and reduced wear, and it requires very little force to grind.



Plus, they came pre-filled, which was an unexpected bonus.



I didn't even realize at the time that these were made by the same company that made the excellent steamer that I had just purchased. So now I'm officially sold on the quality of their products.



Brownie points for the steamer too, by the way. - Pepper Mill - Pepper - Grinder - Pepper Sets'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Salt Grinder - pepper sets, pepper mill pepper mill Salt Grinder - pepper sets, pepper mill