Monday 31 October 2011

Point And Shoot - video, digital video


If you've done any camcorder shopping at all, it doesn't take long to realize that we've got a problem with function/feature overload. You could pick camcorder A with night vision, steady hand, and sepia filming capabilities...or you could pick camcorder B with the touch screen, HD video quality, and 50 other functions that you'd never use... The list, as you no doubt have discovered, goes on and on.



This is why I LOVE my Flip. Within 2 minutes of opening the box, it was on and ready to start recording. Within those same two minutes, I'd read the instructions on how to record, playback, and download the videos onto my computer. In my opinion, this is brilliant technology - it's small, convenient, and incredibly simple. Still want high-quality videos, not to worry, this puppy can capture 'em.



If you're an aspiring filmmaker with a commitment to the best of the best of the best...the Flip's probably not the best choice for you. But if you're like the vast majority of people who just want a quality camcorder (and be honest, even though they sound cool, you won't use a quarter of those features on the $400+ camcorders) that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, buy the Flip. It's incredible. Flip Ultra Video Camera - White, 4 GB, 2 Hours (2nd Generation) OLD MODEL

I needed a cheap little camera that took good video of my grandkids since my children are so remiss in doing so. I thought this little camera would be good since I saw some great reviews on it and the folks were right. It is light weight,easy to carry and pull out quickly, shoots high quality video. The kids are not usually aware of you filming which gives great shots. All good so far until I used up the 2 hours of video, and I was out of town. I did not have my computer with me, so I was trapped with video that I could not download and no way to save what I had.

My son suggested I go to Staples, or Best Buy and get a flashdrive and have them download it to the flashdrive. I did that and it worked fine. Now I just carry the flash drive with me and it gives me another 2 hours of film time. You will need an 8GB flash drive for the camera since that is what is inside the camera and it will hold 2 hours of filming. Editing is cumbersome and not very well thought out in the software, but you can buy other software to edit that works better.

If you are planning on taking this camera camping, be aware that you need to be near a high tech source when the film runs out. Although 2 hours seems like a long time, it isn't.

Grandma Judy

I got this for my mother as a Christmas gift. It worked great for about 6 months. Then it wouldn't work all of sudden. Never dropped or mishandled. Worked with tech support and couldn't revive it. Only came on with the little flip beep and then turned back off. I sent it to the company to be repaired. Got it back a about 40 days later. It worked and they fixed it even though it was beyond the warranty! We were so happy. Then on the next outing. Dead. Wouldn't work again. Since the warranty is only 90 days, there is nothing to do, except complain here and get another brand.

I've been using this camera for a few months and have noticed one major problem. All of the video it takes is somewhat zoomed in. Even if you use the controls to zoom all the way out, the video appears to be zoomed in. In other words, it's the opposite of a wide angle lens.



This is terrible when shooting in close quarters. I use the camera for taking video of house tours and it makes every room seem so much smaller than video taken with another camera or photos taken with another camera. You get so much less stuff in the shot and have to try to back up all the way into the corner of the room to get even a decent shot of the room.



If you want to see what it's like, take your digital camera, zoom to 3x, and see what it looks like. Understand that that's the furthest you can pan out with the Flip.

I've owned a few video cameras over the years but none of them have gotten much use mainly due to the size of the camera. In my opinion it's not always practical to haul those things around. When they do get used, the video that I take tends to sit on those little tapes never to be seen again. It's just too much of a hassle to move the content from tape to digital so I can edit and finally watch what I've recorded.



Enter the Flip - with a size that fits easily in the hand (about the size of an iPod but narrower and a bit thicker) this device is also easily stuffed in a bag so you have it everywhere you go. For me this accessibility makes it much more practical compared to a traditional video camera.



Another big selling point for me is the simplicity. It's easy enough to use that I think even my parents could operate it with little instruction. It starts up in a flash and is instantly ready to record (from off to record in about 5 sec). The big red button records and stops recording. That's all you really need to know. Of course there are zoom and playback options that take the Flip beyond simple recording.



Although the Flip works well in low light, it's best that you film in daylight or a well lit room. I did a test shot at night in a dimly lit room and the video was watchable but a bit grainy. Filming outside during the day resulted in crisp, clear video. If you're looking to do a lot of recording in low light the HD version might be a better choice for you.



I also like the fact that I can watch my recordings right on the device itself. The built in screen is good enough for a few people to gather around for a quick view of what was just recorded. It has built in audio as well. If you want to show off your video to a larger crowd you can use the audio/video out on the side of your Fip to plug directly into a TV with a composite input (HD version has and HDMI output).



Getting the video from your Flip to your computer couldn't be easier. You basically flip out the little USB arm and plug your camera directly into your computer. When plugged in the flip will show up as a hard drive so if for some reason you don't want to install the software you can just drag and drop video files just as you might do from a thumb drive or other external drive. The software, however, gives you a nice interface for managing your videos on your Flip as well as those that you've moved to your computer. In addition to simplified file management the software gives your an easy way to edit videos, take snapshots and make your own movies by joining together multiple files.



I'm very excited to use my Flip for an upcoming vacation. The small size will fit easily into my day bag and with 2 hours of recording time I should have plenty of room to store a day's worth of video. I also like the fact that the Flip takes AA batteries (regular or rechargeable) so if I run out of juice while I'm out I should be able to find replacements easily. Finally since it's so easy to transfer the video to my computer I might actually end up watching these videos for a change. - Video - Digital Video - Point And Shoot - Camcorder'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information