Monday 31 October 2011

Camera Accessories - camera accessories, tamrac


First, this should really be called a Photo DayPack. It has two distinct areas: one well padded area for photo gear, the other unpadded for things like sweaters, etc.



The camera compartment is not huge, but it will accommodate most peoples digital SLR, mid-range zoom, telephoto zoom and flash, and a few other modest size accessories. It's not a very good bag for a gadget freak you can't decide what to take, so takes everything.



The top compartment serves two useful functions. It gives us a nice, somewhat roomy area for carrying odds and ends; and it extends the bag length so that it fits comfortably on the back. This design is also much lighter than most backback designs, which makes it more suited to those such as myself who don't like to lug tons on my back. Tamrac 5547 Adventure 7 Photo Backpack (Red/Black)

For those of you wanting to lug around all of your gear - then this bag is not for you.



I on the otherhand don't have a lot (canon 20d, 70-200 lens, 18-55 lens, flash and charger. I can fit all of my stuff in here fine. And if I know I don't want to carry all of my stuff - great.



The top is actually bigger than what I thought. For now, I leave my 70-200 lens attached to the camera and put it in the top part. ANd I put my wallet and keys down below instead. This is only because I don't have a smaller zoom lens yet that I want to leave attached which will then store the camera in the bottom section as well as the 70-200 lens in the bottom section. I on'y do this because that's the lens I always use and don't want to attach and detatch on account of dust. So - there you have it. It's not HUGE and it really does hold alot.



There are mesh compartments on the side that do hold water bottles. There are mesh compartments in the top that hold my wallet/pda and keys and sunglasses.



The bottom has rigid compartment barriers which I like but it's all about your taste.



Bottom line - if you don't have 200 dollars to sink into a bag - then this is a great bag. I wanted a bag that I could afford so I could spend more money on a better lens.

I bought this by mail order rather than the 5546 model on the basis that it had a larger top compartment which would fit "a light jacket, lunch or other stuff". Don't believe a word of it. Although the bottom compartment is fine and the pack has some cool features, once you squash in a lightweight parka there's not much room for anything else.

If you need a backpack for an all day trip or travel, the Lowepro Rover AW series would be a better choice, even with the strangely excessive waist straps. In the Rover's top compartment you can easliy fit a parka, lunch, thermos, sun block, cell phone, film, maps etc with room to spare. Any extras can go on the outside secured by the bungee straps and protected by the AW cover when raining.

The reason for buying these sorts of packs is threefold - to protect your photo equipment, to carry other gear that you might need on a short tramp or trip and to be comfortable doing so.

I like Tamrac gear, but sorry, this is not up to its larger tag. If this 5547 model had more room up top for other gear (gussets or another front pouch?) it would get 4 or 5 stars. It is fine if you know its limitations and want small or if you want very small go for the 5546 model.

I hope this review helps those who are debating whether to purchase this backpack. Here is what I have in the lower portion of my bag right now (which is all my equipment) compare the dimensions provided to what you own:



- Canon Digital Rebel XTi 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera (Black Body Only) (which is attached to:)



- Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO Macro Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras According to Sigma's website: Diameter 76.6mm X Length 122mm (3.0 in. X 4.8 in)



- Tamron Autofocus 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) for Canon SLR Cameras (off the camera) According to Tamron's website: Diameter x Length = ΓΈ73mm x 92mm (2.9 in x 3.6 in)



- Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens (off the camera) Dimensions (Diameter x Length)= 41.0mm x 68.2 (1.6" x 2.7")



- In the last two bottom compartments (which could hold lenses instead of what I carry) I have:

- Four 67mm colored filters each in their own HUGE hard plastic protectors

- One camera cap

- One back lens cap (for the attached Sigma)

- One pocket guide for the Canon XTI (very tiny)

- One 67 to 52mm step ring in flexible plastic



How does it fit? Very well. I have NOT manipulated the dividers and they are in their original place. I have room to stack another short lens on top of the Canon 50mm if I ever buy another short lens. It is important to note that the Sigma 70-300 attached to the XTI is a smidge too tall and pushes lightly into the top compartment space (which is separated by material filled with what I guess to be foam padding).



Now I guess it is time for my complaints...

I am a huge fan of the BIG purse movement. I LOVE room for all my personal belongings. I love being able to carry EVERYTHING with me. In my purses I am able to hold a hoodie, six chapsticks, several lip glosses, a few games, checkbook, oversized wallet, snacks, calendar, Tylenol, water bottle, hand wipes, cell phone, two pairs of sunglasses, breath mints, pens, coin purse... oh I am sure I am forgetting things. Nevertheless, I assumed a backpack would be able to fit at LEAST this in the upper portion. I was wrong. I knew the dimensions before buying and tried to simulate the size at home. I figured I would have to cut back on my "essentials" but I didn't realize how much. My compromise? The hoodie will be slipped through the belt buckle and tied in place and I will have to learn to live with a little less when I travel with this backpack.



So with the upper size constraints, why did I buy this pack?



Obviously, (from my purse contents) I needed a daypack. The Tamrac differentiated itself from others in several ways. It was necessary for me to have the water bottle pockets. Cold and wet water bottles do not mix with electronics (cell phones, cameras, etc.) and paper (checkbooks, calendar, etc.) and the mesh outer pockets became a deciding factor. This ruled out the Lowepro Orion Trekker II Camera Backpack (Black). The Tamrac Adventure 9 Photo/Computer Backpack (Grey/Black)was another contender (because of the slightly larger size) but I hated the idea of extra weight due to the notebook pocket I would never use. Additionally, I did not like the way the bottom portion of the Adventure 9 opened. From the photos it seemed like a security risk and had the potential to spill out on to the sidewalk. (Though I could be wrong)



Hope this helps! - Tamrac - Photography - Camera Bag - Camera Accessories'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information