Monday 31 October 2011

Ethernet Bridge - gaming adapter, 80211n


I purchased this device to connect my Samsung BlueRay 1600 player to my internet. I tried the Samsung Linkstik, but due to the position in my house and the inflexibility of the Linkstik, my connection kept dropping. I connected the Cisco bridge via a wireless connection to my NetGear 300n router and presto, no problems and downloaded movies began immediately from Netflix.



My only reason for the downgrade from 5 to 4 is that none of the documentation that I saw stated that it could only run one device through the bridge. I find that to be rather ridiculous for the price. At least two to four ethernet connections should have been enabled for $95. So my downgrade is related to the price for function rather than anything wrong with the device. Cisco-Linksys WET610N Wireless-N Bridge

I bought this because it's part number was a recommended product for use with my newly purchased Sony Blu-Ray player. I needed to connect my Blu-Ray player to my home network via this Wireless N Bridge and my Wireless G Broadband router by Linksys. I plugged in my Blu-Ray player, a 32GB USB memory stick I had laying around, and power. I followed the instructions contained with the unit and presto I was up and running with no problems. Now I can watch you tube videos and a lot more on my TV in HD. You can purchase and download movies using this setup but I haven't yet tried that. I have a very high speed internet connection through Time-Warner cable service that makes smooth running possible.

I purchaed this product in order to make my directtv HD DVR receiver internet ready and get access to more features and on demand videos and movies. I just have a DSL wireless connection at home that is not very strong but this CISCO product picked up the signal in a flash and the process was done in less than five minutes. It is a great product for those of you who might have an appliance that needs internet in order to access features like a blu-ray player or a game console. The installation is dummy proof, so it could be done by anyone. My 9 year old did this one all by himself (he is not a dummy, by the way). The signal is always working, the unit is small enough that fits anywhere. Excellent product!!!

I wasted several hours trying to set this thing up. This is the second Cisco product I purchased recently and both turned out to be equally difficult to set up and inferior in other respects; will stay away from it in the future.



The bridge comes with a setup CD that only works with Windows or MacOS, not Linux. You are led to believe that you can only set it up from the CD. I wanted to use it with a Linux box but no problem, I also had a Mac book. I ran the CD, got to the point when it was supposed to find wireless networks but this step took forever without a single network found, so I had to give up. Ran a google search, found that it also had a web-based configuration utility, spent another hour reading web pages and manuals until it finally worked. I can only imagine how long it would take me if I didn't go through similar ordeal when configuring a cisco router.

This thing may work if your router is also from Cisco. The customer service rep in India was rude and impatient. I bought it from Amazon because the closest retail store is 50 minutes away. I probably wasted about 5 hours of my life trying to get this thing to work. Eventually I just ran an ethernet cable. - 80211n - Ethernet Bridge - Gaming Adapter - Best Router'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information