Saturday 10 September 2011

Water Filter For Refrigerator - 4396841, fridge filter


I paid almost as much for this as I would have had to pay in the store, and it has never worked since the day I installed it. I kept thinking that maybe it needed to be in awhile and the bad taste would go away, but it has not. Once in awhile it tastes better for a glass or two, but most of the water and ice are terrible. I had a filter in that came with the refrigerator for two years and never had any bad ice or water, and ever since I changed to this one it has all been bad, so there must be something wrong with the filter. It is supposed to be the exact filter that came with my fridge when it was new according to the website, but it does not work the same. I am not entirely sure if it is even new, perhaps they are recycled or maybe it was just defective, but it is too difficult to try to fix it through the internet and the mail, so now I will be forced to go to the local store and buy another after just paying for a new one. If I were you, I would just get your replacements at a local store, if it doesn't work right, at least you can take it back easily and exchange it. I will not order one this way again, I will use a hardware store or department or appliance store.

This filter lasted about 7 months for our family of four. It provides crystal clear and very good tasting drinking water. It's very quick and easy to replace and it can be done in about 30 seconds. The only down side is the cost is a little on the high side and this filter only removes 4 different contaminants. I pay a few more dollars now and get the PUR 4396710 that removes 12 different contaminants including harmful substances like lead, mercury, asbestos. If you want good tasting water then this filter will do the trick. If you want good tasting and healthy water then get the PUR 4396710.

Overall we have found this to be a great water filter. But we have had our water tested by a professional, both at the tap, and at the filtered tap on the refrigerator. Both waters tested the same for chlorine content, however, the particle contaminants were greatly reduced by the filter on the refrigerator.



Something to note on your water filter.



The light is merely a timed indicator of when they want you to replace the filter. Think of it as a "countdown timer" that starts as soon as you reset it. It is in no way measuring the amount of water you are consuming... Personally, I used to change out the filter every 6 months when the indicator light came on, but we rarely use the water/ice now, so I haven't changed it (or reset it) in over a year although I probably will soon. I actually cut the first one in half to see how "contaminated" the filter was and to my surprise, it looked like a brand new filter...



The life of a filter depends on a couple of things.

1. The amount of contaminants in your water (well water is typically the worst)

2. The amount of water that passes through the filter



If you have low contaminants and/or use very little filtered water, your filter will last much longer than 6 months. If you pay attention to the amount of water flow and the size of your ice cubes, you can more accurately determine the proper time to replace the filter.



I have county water and we also have installed a "whole house" water filtration system, so I can probably get closer to 2 years out of a filter. Obviously, not everyone has these installed though, just use common sense on when to replace your filter and you'll be fine.



P.S. Why is it more expensive per unit to buy the 3-pack than it is to buy the 2-pack? Am I the only one that found this odd?

When I installed the new filter I didn't realize that we would go through a period where the water tasted "funny", at least that's how my wife described it. It took about a week for the taste of the water to return to normal. That was the only thing that I didn't realize when I replaced the filter. Besides that it worked fine. - 4396841 - Water Filter - Water Filter For Refrigerator - Fridge Filter'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information