Saturday 3 September 2011

Cuisinart Gr-4 Griddler - waffle, waffle maker


I was skeptical about purchasing this waffle maker from other reviews online but I am glad I did. This is the best waffle maker!! I used a box of Krusteaz waffle mix and followed the directions on the box, set the waffle maker on 3, sprayed some PAM on the waffle maker, pour 1/2 cup of waffle batter in each slot and when it beeped I opened to find a big Belgian waffle slices cooked to perfection! There was no issue with spill overs, the color was a nice golden brown and it was fluffy, had a nice crisp but still soft, topped with fresh strawberries, syrup and whipped cream and we've got the best Belgian waffles right at home! It came right off the machine with no sticking or mess and the clean up was nothing as I only had to wipe it down with a paper towel after it cooled down. I absolutely love this waffle maker and would recommend to anyone. The unit did not get too hot to handle and the handle stayed nice and cool. It was so fun cooking up the waffles that before I knew it I went through a whole box! The great thing is you can make these ahead, freeze them and when you want a waffle just heat up in a toaster. No more frozen Eggo Waffles for me as I now have fresh homemade waffles right at my fingers anytime I feel like it. And the money I am saving because Eggo Waffles can get pretty expensive!



We love waffles and used a Black and Decker "American" waffle maker (smaller pockets than a Belgian waffle-maker) for years, but the plates got too hard to clean and the waffles started to stick. We decided to switch to a Belgian waffle maker and this is the model we decided on.



First the good. This waffle maker holds a lot of batter - nearly two cups. In one batch, I can make a pretty filling waffle for each member of my family. No more arguing over who gets the first batch. It is also very well built and has a great non-stick coating on the irons. I also like the audible alert telling you when it's done and the fact that the cord wraps around the base and the unit can be stored vertically.



Now for the bad. I have yet to get this to make evenly cooked waffles. It always produces a waffle with a dark over-cooked circle on the bottom with the corners and entire top side completely under-cooked. I resorted to cooking it half way, opening it, flipping the half cooked waffle over and closing the lid again. This helped, but resulted in a few burned fingertips. I would be very hesitant to recommend this model.



Finally, a tip: If you've never tried a true Belgian waffle made with yeast, do yourself a favor, search for a yeast-based waffle recipe and make some. They're not much harder to make and you'll never go back to baking powder ones again!

I love this waffle iron! I have had no problems with run-overs when following the recipe. I do spray it with Pam the first waffle each time I use it. It is nice that it has the beeper to let you know when they are done. I found it accurate -- we use it on 3 and it works great. Although it will store on end, it is much too tall for my cupboard. It locks closed for cooking and storage and opens easily. It takes too long to cook up a batch to feed my crew to use daily but we really broke it in over the holidays and had no problems or complaints. The recipes that come with it are great but are not "light & fluffy" recipes. I used it for my regular Belgian waffle recipe that comes out "light & fluffy" and it worked great with none of the usual spill overs. I highly recommend it!

I was SO excited to receive this waffle maker as a birthday present...to have to return it to the store was a serious buzz kill. I had two particular issues with this waffle maker that were insurmountable: first, the cooking was amazingly uneven. I would get a light golden-brown circle on the top and bottom of the waffle, but the edges never cooked; second, the heat differential between the settings of 3 and 4 is extreme. On 3 I got some browning, but not what I was looking for. On 4, the waffle burned (just in the middle...the edges still were undercooked). Ah, well, onward and upward...the hunt for a worthy waffle maker continues.

Our older Cuisneart WAF-6 maker broke, so we needed to get a new one, since "Waffle Sundays" have become a tradition in our house.

So we saw this newer model, smaller footprint Belgian stlye maker, and at a lower price to boot. Win-win! (or so we thought)



So far after 4 weekends worth of trying to make an actual light , fluffy *EDIBLE* Belgian waffle, we've yet to reach our goal. We have tried 4 different waffle batters, including today's "made from scratch" one directly from the included recipe book, tried different temps, etc, all with the same exact result - bricks. They are brown on the outside, half cooked on the inside with the consistency of the soles of shoes. I first tried temp 5, then down to 4, then down to 3, the nup to 3.5. It doesn't matter, this thing simply cannot produce an edible product. Unfortunately, we already threw away toe box, or it would be going back. - Waffle Iron - Waffle - Waffle Maker - Best Waffle Maker - Wafflemaker - Appliance'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information