Friday 9 September 2011

Accessories - gamepad, controller


I got two of these controllers because they're cheap and meet the requirements for what I needed them for (playing emulated NES/SNES/Sega, etc games). I used the free shipping which took so long I forgot that I had ordered them, but it was still here before their last possibly delivery date by 2 days. I immediately opened the first controller, plugged it in, had it recognized by Windows 7 Enterprise and configured it with my emulator and was playing Bubble Bobble with in 5 minutes.



My girlfriend got excited and rushed to open the other one, I plugged it in, had it recognized by Windows but nothing would work to get the buttons to actually do anything. I tried 4 different USB ports on the back of my custom rig to no avail, unplugged the one that worked and wiped controller one to test to see if maybe they were just conflicting and it still wouldn't do anything at all (I am a certified computer technician and I do it for a living).



I'm going to go ahead and leave it at 4 stars because the one that works works well and all the buttons on it look and feel like an original SNES controller. They're kind of cheap plastic, but what do you expect for something which costs half as much as the only other option locally (a Logitech game pad for $25 at Best Buy where I'm from, these were $13 each and shipped free).



I have filled out a UPS pick up return for the other one and the package is already waiting outside my door for them to come get the bad one tomorrow. There are no driver cds or anything with them just a really cheap cardboard box with tons of plastic wrap, so YMMV on getting them installed properly, I had no problems with auto-detection on Windows 7.



**UPDATE** 3/27 - I received my replacement for the bad controller yesterday, 4 days ahead of schedule, and it works without issue. Amazon had UPS come pick it up for return at no cost to me and I got the replacement fast. Excellent. Classic USB Super Nintendo Controller for PC

Nice controller overall. The buttons are responsive and not mushy. The D-pad is a little noisy and creaky but works well with both Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64.



The pad also works nicely with emulation software on the laptop.

I ordered four of these, they work great! I am currently using them with a SNES Emulator on Mac OS Snow Leopard. However, they seem to have a trick to them to make them function properly. Two of the four controllers needed an adjustment. The buttons would not respond correctly because the programming card inside each controller was loose. Simply unscrew the back of the controller and snap the card into position where it should be (the position is obvious based on the structure inside the case). That's it! After I adjusted the two.. I never had any more problems :). Based on this.. these controller should be worth only about 8-10 bucks. Not 15. Hope this review helps!

I have quite a lot of SNES and NES roms on my computer. With my emulators, I could play this stuff all day. I hook up my computer to my TV via HDMI and have a blast. However, I wanted two controllers so I could play with my nephew. I wasn't impressed with the logitech gampepads and ones made by other companies. Didn't want to make it so I could use my Playstation 3 controller either. I wanted something more old school like I used to have. So, I got two of these.



They work exactly as they should. In under a minute, I was able to use both controllers with the emulators. The controller works flawlessly, no sticking or broken buttons. While the controller may feel light and "cheap," my nephew dropped his quite a few times and it still works fine. Also, a number of times, my nephew was too far away from the computer while holding the controller. I was scared that he would rip or tear the wire. No such thing happened. The wire is quality as well.



I highly recommend these. You get a quality controller with the old school feel. You could get two of these for pretty much the same price as one of the newer and more expensive "brand name" controllers. If you are playing games where you need many buttons, then this may not be for you. But, if you are like me and are playing NES and SNES games, it is absolutely perfect.

The only thing keeping this controller from looking like the real deal is the lack of the "Nintendo" logo above the Start and Select buttons. The buttons all have a nice tangible (but not overbearing) click when you push them. A problem I've had with other controllers is not quite being able to tell if I'd pushed the button adequately; not an issue with this controller. Worked right away with Windows 7 64-bit.

I am really into emulators and felt that if I am going to recreate the experience I needed to get an SNES controller. The reviews for this one had me questioning buying one. That's the problem with one positive and one negative review. But I bought it anyways and decided to give it a try.



Glad I did. The buttons feel solid. The D-pad, whilst a little mushy, is not that bad. Sure the pad creaks a little, it is plastic after all. None of the little issues I had seemed to matter. The first day I got it I proceeded to play a lot of different games from Super Mario World to Star Fox to Street Fighter 2. All of the games worked just fine with it and it has held up quite well.



As for the D-pad being set up wrong, all I know is that with the Emulator I use, ZSnes, I just went into the settings and made sure all the buttons were mapped properly. Not that difficult.



This is THE SNES controller that I recommend to people. - Gamepads - Gamepad - Controller - Usb'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Accessories - gamepad, controller controller Accessories - gamepad, controller