Thursday 4 August 2011

Rumblepad 2 - gamepad, game controller


I am no gamer. So, imagine my surprise when a friend brought over his PS3, got me a little tipsy, and made me play Portal! I was captivated. I've always had a party-limited soft-spot in my heart for two-player fighting games, but quickly loose interest. They're not something I'd ever play alone against the AI, either! Portal, though, reminded me a little of 'The 7th Guest', and with a long-awaited sequal coming out soon, I ordered a copy of the venerable 'Orange Box' from Valve.



The problem was, after getting used to the PS3 controller, I found myself unwilling to use the bloody keyboard and mouse for everything, especially at speed. I began researching USB controllers, but had a hard time finding a recommendation for one that could be used both in Windows 7 and XP. Further, I wanted a controler that would at least be recognized by Ubuntu, as my home ecosystem is very 'Multi-Coded'. On the recommendation of a friend who is a staunch supporter of Logitech, I checked out the current line-up of X-input or Direct-X switchable controllers.



Now, they're not cheap. However, as my friend pointed out, they're reliable, good quality, and built to last. As my Windows 7 machine is to be my primary box for gaming, I tried it first there. I was hoping that drivers wouldn't be necessary, and the controller did work the first time... Then the thing didn't register as connected to USB at all for three startups running. I installed the most recent software direct from logitech's website, and all was well. Nothing needed to be mapped. Windows XP was even easier, switched the output using the switch on the back of the controller to Direct-X, and all was well. Even got it to work through the USB server on my virtual machine in Ubuntu! The controller is comfortable, responsive, and has a very quality feel for a hunk of plastic! Further, one could use those darned rumble packs for "personal massage" purposes... What a kick!



I don't like the mapping function provided in the logitech software, but it's an admitted hack in the first place. You're just doing keyboard mapping through software! Overall, it's a small price to pay to force an emulator to do one's will for truly ancient games, and a welcome piece of forceware at end of day. The attraction of using this as an X-Box 360 controller doesn't even register for me. As far as I'm concerned, those things should all be burned, anyway (though I understand most folks would disagree with me).



Overall, great job! Quality controller, and people in other reviews are right. The analog thumbsticks loosen up with intense playing. Depending on the game, you can even turn sensitivity up and down! Logitech Rumble Gamepad F510 with Dual Vibration Motors

After just receiving my F510 in the mail I attempted to install the software and found that because I have Windows XP, you need to turn the pad over and switch the X to the D. XP users, always place it on Direct as the X is meant for Win 7 OS. If you have XP and don't do this the pad will not be recognized by the OS and you will sit there for a long time like I had figuring nothing out and eventually calling the Customer Service Department.



The Customer Service Department was very nice and very helpful. The game pad works like a charm and I am very happy with it.

My search for a XInput(360) compatible device with a decent d-pad is finally over.



My other options were:

1) The offical 360 pad: The d-pad is worthless.

2) The Hori 360 pad: Similar price but reviews indicate quality issues. It also provides no extra PC features beyond XInput.

3) Cheap phillips pad. Only directInput and terrible dpad.



My thoughts after a couple weeks with the F510...



Pros:

- Responsive d-pad. Spelunky, Super crate box, ZSnes all work with minimal config. Detects diagonals correctly. The 'floating' d-pad feels a bit strange at first but I am used to it now.

- Didn't need to install anything. XInput games don't even need to be configured. If I ever try something that uses DirectInput the software may be required.

- Sticks, face buttons and bumpers have a good feel.

- Price. Especially with 1/2 off sale a few weeks back.

- Solid build. Feels like Logitech.



Cons:

- Vibration button should be swapped with the start button or moved to the back. I kept hitting it instead of start the first few times. Not a big deal.

- Trigger buttons are awkward and should be moved inward a bit. My index fingers should rest naturally on the triggers rather than the bumpers. Not a deal breaker as I was able to adapt to it for Dirt 2 (throttle). I imagine playing an FPS would be somewhat annoying, but who plays FPS games with a gamepad on PC?

- Cord is a bit short. Easily solved via cheap usb extender.



Other thoughts:

- Does not actually work on a 360. Not a con but I was curious.

- What is the "logitech"(dashboard) button for? - Game Controller - Pc Gamepad - Controller - Gamepad'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Rumblepad 2 - gamepad, game controller pc gamepad Rumblepad 2 - gamepad, game controller