Saturday 27 August 2011

Remote Control Extender


Not sure what the other guy's problem was with this repeater...It works great! I originally wanted to get the HotLink Pro system based on the high number of reviews that it received, but I ended up getting this one as a Christmas gift. I tested it and it worked really well with no lag and good range, so I then proceeded to take the plunge and install it in my home theater setup. I was very concerned that there might be interference, as I have a 58" plasma TV on the wall...This was not a factor at all. I could not get this unit to fail by placing the IR sensor anywhere around my TV. It worked even slightly out of sight behind it...That said, the unit is installed just below the TV and center channel speaker. I have the system connected to the TivoHD, the Xbox 360, and my Onkyo amp and it has not skipped a beat. I would highly recommend this to anyone needing a good IR repeater, and is not necessarily concerned with hooking it up with no line of sight. Small obstructions do not affect my signal, but it does get over 30ft of range if the IR receiver is in sight. I was able to use my Harmony remote from outside on the patio with all of my devices neatly tucked away in my office. All this for half the cost of the HotLink Pro - Very happy indeed! IR Repeater System - Hidden IR Control System for Home Theater

Very easy to install and quite flexible. Receiver is small and mounts easily on the front of TV, and the 4 individual LED repeaters are tiny and mount on anything with 2-sided tape. Just make sure the repeaters are in front of the "eye" of the DVD or amplifier. System now works better than when I kept the cabinet door open with the components facing me, and I can keep the door shut and arrange the components in any way I want. Now, if I can see the TV, the remote will work. Nice additional benefit: when the receiver sees the signal, it blinks blue so you can tell it got the message - particularly nice since the DVR response is so slow.

Installation's pretty simple and cords are all pretty long to make it easy to get everything to reach where it needs to reach.



I had troubles with performance right away, which wasn't very good at all. Thought about sending it back, but I contacted the company ... and after describing the problem and the device I was controlling (a digital, HD cable box from Motorola), they immediately sent me a newer, dual receiver.



Now everything works flawlessly. The problem I was having was apparently specific to fitting the HD system I have.



Bottom line: You might want to contact the company to see if this specific IR repeater system works with the devices you want to control, especially if they're newer devices. (Note. The dual receiver can be found separately here on Amazon: Cmple - Dual Frequency IR Receiver SA HDTV DVR and DirectTV H21).

This worked great. I used to have to keep the door open and as most can anticipate, it never got closed. Now, my "boxes" all respond to the remote with the door closed, making my wife happy as well. As a bonus, the sensor flashes whenever it receives a command. This is reassuring that the transmitter is working. All remote control devices should provide feedback to let you know they received the command, but few do. Now I know when the batteries are dead, not making contact, remote failed, etc. Worked well for me.

The unit does what is advertised. If you are using a plasma, then you need to mount it behind the TV (Mine is about 4 inches, on the wall) Does its job well.



The only problem is that this is the third time I have purchased the unit (The parts are run through the wall and I don't feel like opening the wall) It is very fragile and the SLIGHTEST electrical disturbance renders it useless. On top of that you can't just buy a replacement brick. One time when the power went out, and another time when I was reconnecting a displaced connector.

I used this because my ottoman blocks my stereo receiver. I have a home theater system and I wanted to be able to eat in my dining room and have the tv going in the living room. We can see and hear from our dining room. Problem is, we can never get the volume right and sometimes we want to make adjustments while we're eating. Now I can control the volume on my stereo from another room! There is a nice blue led that blinks when it's getting the signal so you know it's working. I'm very pleased. The price is right for this, IMO.

I was looking for an IR repeater system because my wife didn't like having the stereo system doors open. I received the system, easy to install but........when I closed the doors, the old TEAC receiver I had would not turn on. I wrote to the company, explained the issue, within two days received a reply saying that the issue might be with the frequency and they would ship me a new IR receiver. I received that within two days, installed it, and everything works as advertised. I'm out of the dog house with my wife and very pleased with the customer service I received. I would buy from this company again. Good value and great customer service.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information