Tuesday 30 August 2011

Memory Stick - thumb drive, 4gb


I was apprehensive when I read all the reviews about U3. I simply wanted a reliable storage device and nothing else. As soon as I connected the usb drive, I removed the U3 launchpad and technology. It took a total of 1 minute and it was done. No more U3 and I have an excellent 4 GB drive for 23 bucks. Same drive sells at retail for over 40. I run windows xp and it was no problem at all to remove the U3. I can see how it may look overwhelming with all the programs/apps, but one or two clicks of a button and it was gone. I highly recommend this drive to anyone looking for a place to store music, docs, pictures, etc.... SanDisk Cruzer Micro 4 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive SDCZ6-4096-A11

...don't listen to the negative reviews for this product. SanDisk makes a great product, every time. I use nothing but SanDisk for my flash drive/memory card needs because quite frankly, other companies don't make reliable products. The software issues with this device are not even a problem if you simply UNINSTALL the U3 software. Once you do that, it's treated as a mass storage device just like anything else. There is no law written down that you need to use software on a device just because it came with it. Using the Windows explorer to manage your files is easier and more effective anyway.

I have a SanDisk Cruzer U3 drive and it works great. I purchased another with 4 GB to use solely as for ReadyBoost on my Vista computer. Installation was a no-brainer and it immediately offered me an option to use it for ReadyBoost and to apportion the 4 GB between the normal Cruzer US functions and ReadyBoost. I chose to used the majority for ReadyBoost and have been rewarded with better performance. I keep it installed permanently. I'd recommend it highly.

I've been using this drive for about a month now. I carry it in my pocket every day, it's survived well so far. The case is a bit scuffed, but that's it. The retractable USB connector still slides smoothly and locks into place. I've used it with PCs, Macs, and Linux - no problems with any of these. Speed is acceptable, I've played video files off it with no problem. The drive itself is excellent.



Now, for the downside - the U3 software. It's a good idea - gives you a way to carry your own apps with you. Unfortunately, it's a less than good implementation. It autostarts *every* time you insert the drive into a windows computer. On a mac it shows up as a useless CD-Rom drive. I used it for a while - it was nice to have my own browser with my own bookmarks, but it was randomly causing issues with the security profiles on some computers. So I uninstalled it and installed Portable Apps instead - free software that does the same thing, but better.



I recommend this drive, but I also recommend you remove the U3 software first thing. It wil require a PC, clicking through a few "are you sure" screens, and downloading a program, but its worth it.

Warning: Don't install the "update" because it will erase all of your data! I have been using the Cruzer thumb drive for some time. I have never liked it because it installs software on my computer without my permission (is that legal?). I usually have other copies of the data on my thumb drive, but recently a hard drive failed at work so I used my SanDisk thumb drive to back up some important data. Then today when I plugged the thumb drive into my desktop at home, I was prompted to update the software (called LaunchPad I think). I clicked OK. I was looking for some kind of warning to back up data or close all programs or whatever (as is standard). I didn't see any warnings -- just a license agreement. I clicked OK on the license agreement. It immediately started the "update," but the status said "formatting drive." I tried to not freak out. Surely they would not be deleting all of my data with no warning? Surely they could not be reformatting the drive? There is software on there! But when the "update" was complete, I checked and sure enough, the drive was entirely wiped clean! All my files, folders, programs -- everything. GONE! WITH NO WARNING! I couldn't believe it! Is it legal to do this? If it is, it shouldn't be! This is outrageous! I didn't have any other copy of a lot of that data! I called SanDisk, they immediately knew what I was talking about (I'm sure this is happening to lots of other people). They refused to take financial or legal responsibility for their actions. They didn't care about my lost data. No apology. All they would do is refer me to a company, LC Technologies, for data recovery. And get this, they are "partnering" with LC Technologies to offer a "discount" on data recovery. They even have a big link with a special discount code on the Support page for this thumb drive (but no warning about having your data hosed if you install the update). I'll bet you that they are getting a kickback from LC Technologies for sending so much business their way. How evil is that!?!? Not only is SanDisk deliberately deleting data, and not taking responsibility, they are benefitting from it financially at well! This is truly wrong, truly outrageous. I'm going to try to find a class action lawsuit to join.



PLEASE, do yourself a favor, DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!!! - Sandisk - Flash Drive - Thumb Drive - 4gb'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information