Monday 1 August 2011

Hard-anodized - calphalon, hard-anodized


Anolon 'Advanced' is the much higher quality, and, for some quirky reason, is priced $15 less than the Calphalon! I pan-grilled some filet mignon steaks (am savoring them now) and was impressed at the signature 'sear marks'. Cleanup is a breeze and reviewers should note that the Anolon 'Advanced' line has not been plagued with the shedding of the non-stick coating (as both the 'Commercial' and 'Simply Calphalon' lines have been).



This will not take the place of an outdoor grill, but it does bring a taste of summer into the cold winter months. 'Cook's Illustrated' also gave the Anolon 'Advanced' 12" Deep Covered Grill Pan high marks, but this shallower, non-covered grill pan is $25 less and besides, who covers a grill pan when it is grilling anyway?



PS: I'm glad I 'recycled' my 10+ pound Lodge, cast-iron grill to my weight-lifting son for Christmas! :o)

First a little background. I rarely review products, I'm a very good cook and I've cooked professionally in several restaurants.



The analon grill pan is as good as it gets for stove top grilling. That being said it, like all the others it doesn't give you anything close to an outdoor grilled flavor. However, if used properly, it gives you several advantages of grilling: cooking above the fat, grill marks, and a slight grilled flavor.



Using the pan properly is key. I preheat the pan at a strong medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes, lightly coat the items I'm grilling with olive oil--rather than the pan, or a marinade/vinagrette, and deglaze the pan afterwards. I also fill the pan with water right after grilling and have had no trouble at all cleaning it later on.



I've grilled chicken, beef, pork, frozen shrimp and vegetables. I flattened (pounded) the chicken and pork as I think quick grilling best for this sort of appliance, but that's only speculation.



Using a grill pan may make for healthier pan cooking. There's concern now with the carcinogenic aspects of browning and carbonization in fat; since a grill pan lifts the food above the fat it causes less carbonization than does pan frying and therefore less carcinogens.



So, as long as you're not expecting true grilled flavor, you can't go wrong with this pan.

I purchased this pan because I moved to a condo in florida and we can't use grills. I have had a LeCruset grill pan much more expensive ..........that I have been using for years. My Sweets told me I was nuts for buying this pan......... because I was making better than restaurant quality steaks now. I kid you not she never ordered steak when we would go out because she would be disappointed they weren't good enough.



I was hoping this grill pan would cook some what as well as my cast iron..... but with none of the clean up problems. It met all of my expectations and more I just ordered a second one. Anolon you are my new best friend.

I just received this grill pan, and used it 3 times in the first week to cook steaks and pork chops. The pan heats quickly and evenly. It looks great. It's heavy and appears to be well made. The non-stick claim is a bit of a stretch, however. The meat is easly removed from the raised cooking surface, but the small pieces of fat, seasoning, and meat juices get stuck in the crevices. It takes me a couple of minutes to scrape off the debris, even using a special non-stick scouring sponge. I have many other non-stick products that are almost clean after just rinsing alone. I like the pan, but I'm considering returning it, so I can try another product that might require less work.

I do not use this pan a lot - i grill everything. But for a quick cook of veggies and slicing up some steak to cook for salad or something, this thing has worked perfectly. I run some hot water over it, squirt it with a little dawn and then use a plastic bristle brush on it - few brushes and it's clean. It heats evenly and it leaves great grill marks. I like it a lot.

As other reviewers have noted, this is a very well made, heavy pan, that is truly nonstick! I have several other Anolon Advanced pans and love them all.

You DO need to follow directions when working with Anolon Advanced -- that is, keep the temperature low/medium (you absolutely cannot use high temps and expect the pan to last) and definitely preheat the pan before you use it. We use this on mooseburgers (we live in AK) quite often and it's great. Clean up is easy easy easy! If you want a well made pan that will last as long as you adhere to the aforementioned 'rules', you'll probably love this pan as much as I do! Bon appetit!

This product is excellent, especially for grad students where time for cooking is pretty low. Pan heats up quickly and evenly and cleans easily too if you soak the pan after use. Less maintenance than a cast iron grill and lighter too. Works the best with thinner cut meats. Meat comes off cooked well and juicy - not tough and dry. Highly recommended. - Hard-anodized - Calphalon - Cookware - Analon - Kitchen - Anolon'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information