Monday 1 August 2011

Cordless Phone - expandable multi-handset, dect


This review covers the KX-TGA641 handset used by the KX-TG6431, KX-TG6432, KX-TG6433, KX-TG6434, KX-TG6441, KX-TG6442, KX-TG6443, KX-TG6444 and KX-TG6445 cordless phone sets. The KX-TG644x "keypad/speaker phone" base is not discussed here.



DECT Security Breach: as of this June 6, 2009 writing, it remains unclear how secure is the Panasonic KX-TG64xx series - specifically the KX-TGA641 handset. Poorly designed DECT hardware is at risk of being eavesdropped . An updated DECT standard uses CAT-iq which may enhance security. On May 8, I emailed Panasonic support asking if this product set is subject to the "DECT hack" discussed throughout Internet forums and if CAT-iq is implemented. On the 18th I sent another and this time I received a case number: 26512122. On June 1st I inquired as to when I might expect an answer. The silence is deafening. (June 9 UPDATE: this is their reply... "The KX-TG6433 is using Panasonic unique DECT protocol for the communication between the base unit and the handset. This unit has higher protection against eavesdropping than standard DECT even without CAT-iq protocol.") And this is Panasonic's "Security Code Statement" on the FCC Web site: "This cordless telephone system has more than 1,000 billion combinations that are provided by the following means: Provided with 128 bits for security codes. When shipped from the factory, the security code is decided by the manufacture. It is memorized in a memory IC. Base and Handset knows each other's security code information." The "DECT hack" requires a modified VOIP card and a laptop running Linux and in some cases the use of a back-end PBX server - most of which is beyond the means and reach of your usual wannabe snoop. I conclude this phone is quite secure enough for average personal and business use. Regardless of the make, model and technology of the cordless phone(s) you own, privacy critical conversations should be done on a hard wired set.



The Review: To begin, the manual is awful. Useful feature information is buried in verbose paragraphs instead of outlined bullet points. A highlighter pen is required! The most egregious instructions are for Programmable Settings which are done via either of two methods, the nice scrolling menus or "Direct Commands." The latter is keyed in at the main menu as a pound followed by three digits, such as #302 to record a greeting. Quoting page 20: "Direct command is the main method used in these operating instructions." So, twenty seven pages of instructions for direct commands and two pages for the menus. Now, where are the scrolling menus? On the handset. In your hand. All the time. From now on. Where is the manual with the three page chart of direct commands? Hmmmm. I cannot fathom this idiotic bass-ackwards scheme. On the bright side, once you've scrolled through the 35 or so menu screens enough times, you'll be more than well versed in their usage. Note: the "Initial Settings" menu contains sub-menus for much more than settings that are, well, initial.



One of the big selling points for me is the use of regular old AAA NiMH batteries. My triple handset KX-TG6433 replaces three stand-alone sets that used different, proprietary and expensive battery "packs." No more! However, one caveat... discussed further on.



The LCD screen is informative, big and bright with large, easy to read fonts. The keypad is quite nicely illuminated although lighting of the three soft keys is absent. You can choose any color back light for the screen as long as it's blue.



The handset ear piece audio is crisp and clean, free of digital artifacts while listeners on the other end can hear me well. The speaker audio for the handsets and base is dinky but usable in a quiet environment. For extended hands-free conversations I use the KX-TCA60 headset. (Update: that broke after about a dozen uses. I now use a Plantronics.) This is also one of the few phones I've ever used that I can cram between my neck and ear without jamming any buttons.



The KX-TG64xx series is loaded with all the usual bells and whistles and lacks for nothing in my experience. Most everything I became used to in all the phones I've had over the ages is here, and then some, all fully integrated. (If I had to quibble, I would want a flashing LED on the base to indicate the presence of messages listened to but not deleted.) All the fancy schmancy services you pay extra for at the phone company are recognized and operate well. Answering System messages can be accessed and manipulated from any handset and from outside phones using a three digit remote access code. Most settings migrate across all handsets meaning that if you change/add/delete something on one, it's done on all. Others, like rings tones and volume, affect only the individual ones. Now that I'm past the "return for exchange" period, I decided to buy a fourth handset.



Finally, this phone talks. My favorite is Talking Caller ID. When the phone rings, I don't even have to raise my head from my recliner pillow to look at it. Now that's living! On the down side, the KX-TGA641 handset strongly resembles my Logitech Harmony 550 universal remote. I often find myself shouting "Hello" into the remote. Or trying to change channels with the phone. When did life get sooooo complicated??



From the "Why on Earth did they do that?" department: the charger does not recognize fully charged batteries. When I first unboxed my KX-TG6433, I took the six 650 mAh AAA batteries and ran them through my MAHA C401FS charger. This would not only save time and effect a nice conditioned charge, but the MAHA diagnostics would warn of defects. Imagine my surprise when all three handsets alerted with a flashing battery icon and a "charge for 7 hours" message. With fully charged batteries! Similarly, if at some point you remove the batteries in a handset to read the label in there (serial number, FCC ID number, etc.) or for whatever reason, you are greeted by the same scenario. And even though fully charged, the batteries will be COOKED for several hours to the degree the handset becomes... too hot to hold! So, here's a hot tip (heh heh) - don't pre-charge the AAAs and don't remove them unless they need to be replaced.



That and the manual aside, this is a good looking, feature rich, convenient and affordable cordless phone system. Now that I'm beyond the menu system learning curve, I'm expecting years of comfortable and easy use. Panasonic Dect 6.0 Additional Digital Cordless Black Handset (KX-TGA641T) - Expandable Multi-handset - Cordless Phone - Dect - Dect Cordless Phone'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


cordless phone Cordless Phone - expandable multi-handset, dect