Monday 8 August 2011

As Good As It Gets - ear protection, shooting


Bought the Peltor Tactical Pros to replace a Peltor Tactical 6S electronic muff which I gave to my brother. My primary use for this product is for hearing protection at the gun range. From the moment I first tried on the tactical pros, all I can say is "WOW". The earcups are bigger than those on my tactical 6s. With that being said, everything else is significantly better.



The tactical pro is very comfortable. The gel cups provide a good comfortable seal. I can wear these muffs for hours without the slightest discomfort. Once or twice I have actually left the range and had forgotten to take them off. The muffs are incredibly easy to use. Just hold down the middle button, wait for the beep, and voila... you can hear everything. Repeat the procedure to turn them off, and if you happen to forget they will turn off automatically. A convenience I did not have with my tactical 6s. You don't want to know how many times I've replaced the batteries on those things. The batteries are very easy to change and can be done without having to take off the hearing protection... a real convienience. There is also a port to connect a music device or to use for communications. I havn't used this feature, so I can't really comment on it. The higher NRR rating is what I really like best about these muffs. Protecting your hearing is always a worthwhile investment.



While not as highly rated as some of the ProEars (with a maximum NRR rating of 33), the tactical pro doesn't cost nearly as much either. I've contemplated purchasing a set of ProEars in the past, but just couldn't justify their high cost. Peltor is world renowned for their hearing protection products and is used by just about every police and military unit around the globe. For its balance of price, quality, and features; I haven't found anything better than the Peltor Tactical Pro. I have been very satisfied with this product. Peltor MT15H7F SV Tactical Pro Hearing Protector

Upon receiving my new Peltor Muffs I noticed one ear cushion was slightly deformed.I called the company and advised them of my problem. Today I received a complete hygiene kit at no charge which not only contained the cushions but also the inner sound deadening interiors. I am very pleased that the company stands behind their product. And I will be ordering their Muffs for long guns based upon their integrity and product functionally.

And very importantly,unlike other Muffs, they actually work as advertised.



It has been quite some time since I wrote this review. To date, the Peltor hearing protection is just better than the myriad of other muffs I tried at the range or in the field. Many of the other muffs I tried had a loud static hiss in their amplification system. They also didn't deaden gunshots nearly as well as the Peltor. And supposedly their db quieting level was equal to or better than the Peltor. The point of muffs like this is to let you hear conversation and range commands at a normal level and protect you hearing. Peltor just does a much better job at doing both. This is one of my highly recommended products.

I own and have used Peltor 7s and 6s in addition to this Tactical Pro. I bought the Pro to get the slightly (but noticable) higher NRR, as compared to the 7s, and the more comfortable gel-filled ear pads. However, I find that the electronics in the Pro are not as good as in the 7s. The Pro has a noticable level of "white" noise as the volume is rasied to normal listening level; the 7s has none of this noise even at a higher volume level. Also, the electronics in the Pro does not deliver the exact sound fidelity that the 7s gives. The Pro's on/off and volume plus/minus buttons are "trick"; but I find the on/off volume knob on the 7s to be easier and faster to use. It should now be clear that I believe that the 7s is a superior product and a better value (because it's cheaper) than the Pro - on this matter I have "put my money where my mouth is" and purchased a second pair of 7s.

This is another great product from Peltor. They are a little bulkier than my Peltor Tactical 6's, but they have superior hearing protection.



I especially like the easy method of changing the batteries. The AAA batteries also last longer than the ones in the Tactical 6's.



I also got an adaptor cord which allows me to use them with my Zune. A great way to protect hearing.

I received my eagerly awaited muffs today. At first I thought they were dead on arrival. Tip for those that claimed yours were DOA, hold down the power button for a few seconds. You will hear a tone and then it starts or stops depending.



First irritation is I got to spend a 25-30 dollar cable to attach my mp3 player, a feature that had me pick this over a lower tier product in their line.



Second irritation, it has hiss as others have mentioned. Maybe I have the gain turned up too much since I have 30db loss in one ear. Yup, gun related, wear protection.



To be fair, I think they have initial power on with a bit of gain so I did play with it listening to tv and I'll back off on the hiss at normal levels of wearing vs not wearing. When you crank it up though, you get hiss.



Reasonably light weight, battery compartment on left side, might be an issue for left handed shooters. Nice ear cups, doesn't seem like your head is in a vise.



I'm going to take it out tomorrow and shoot my uncles .45/70 highwall to see how it functions in the primary role I purchased it for. I'll update the review.



What would make this perfect?



3.5MM stereo cable included.



Less hiss at high gain.



MP3 input not being mono.



Separate volume controls or a balance control. Some of us have hearing issues that is asymmetrical.



Took it out shooting today. It worked fine, one bother is that the foam microphone screen on my right side fell off. I'm not sure if I hit it mounting a rifle or what. That was annoying. It was nice being able to hear and converse while wearing muffs. I'm still leaving it at 4 stars.



Nov 18, 2010



I've used these a lot at the range. I really like them. I wish I had bought this or one of Peletors early models years ago.



Wes - Shooting - Hearing Protector - Peltor - Ear Protection'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information