Friday 29 July 2011

Belgian Waffle Maker


This waffle iron makes beautiful, fluffy waffles. I had a certain waffle iron from a company beginning with T that makes great toasters, but mediocre waffle irons. I didn't realize how bad it was till a friend of mine made some waffles with that popular eighty dollar waffle maker. I almost cried! They were so good, but I knew I could never afford it! So I decided to try this one based on the good reviews. I'm ecstatic that I did.



First, this machine is quick compared to my other waffle iron. Waffles using a basic recipe are done in less than 3.5 minutes.



Second, the timer is a great idea. Relying on the "steam stoppage" method cooks the waffles too long for some recipes. The beeping when the waffles are done is just enough to bring your attention away from the bacon. Do NOT be foolish enough to leave the room when you have a waffle iron plugged in, for goodness sake!



Third, cleaning is super-easy and storage is a breeze. I love that it folds and locks in an upright position. It fits right in my tiny, overcrowded kitchen.



Last, the waffles are wonderful. Fluffy and crisp on the outside.





Buy this waffle maker. It's worth it!

Waffle Maker



[updated January, 2011]



We bought the Presto FlipSide to replace a faux pro waffler made by the blender company who shares its name with Fred W's Glee Club. That one cost twice the price and lasted a mere three years before going to pieces. It was "Pro" in name only.



Presto took a simpler and possibly more durable approach: Engineer the hinge on a traditional counter-top Belgian waffle maker so it can flip 180 degrees and let gravity work its special magic. The entire weight of the baking platform is supported by the counter top, not by a pair of screws driven into failure-prone plastic.



When I unpacked the iron and set it on the counter, I noticed that the upper grid "floated" slightly when the grids were resting at the left side of the hinge. It might just be a mass-production variance but it was cause for concern because the iron has to close tightly for proper baking. When I flipped them to the right, the grids closed firmly, so the left side became the filling side and the right, the preheating and baking side. Do the same when yours arrives.



The nonstick grids are deep enough to fall into, with dimpled tapered studs that assist in releasing the baked waffle. The baking surface is surrounded by a fairly generous overflow rim. At 1350 watts, it bakes hotter than the 1200 watt pro-look model. The Presto lacks a browning control but you can compensate by adjusting the baking time. What's important is the initial temperature when the batter hits the grids, and if you turn a browning control too low, the grids are too cool to "fry" the outside. What you end up with is a textured pancake, not a real waffle.



The battery-powered timer is a nice feature but not really a necessity if your kitchen, like mine, has plenty of timers (the stove, the kitchen scale, the microwave oven).



The waffles come out about an inch and then some in height with a crisp, crackly exterior and a cloud-fluffy interior. We make our waffles from biscuit-and-baking mix but use the professional technique of separating the eggs and beating the egg whites before folding them into the batter. Baking time is 3 minutes for a waffle that would cost you at least a 10-spot plus tax and a tip on a hotel room service menu.



Time has proven that the Presto FlipSide, at half the price, is twice the waffle iron for the money.

I love this product. I got it at a great price compared to what I've seen in Kohl's, Bed, Bath and Beyond or Williams and Sonoma. I looked at all brands and all price ranges and I noticed spending more on a waffle maker doesn't get you a better product. Also, some of the stores had more expensive waffle makers that were not Belgian style which is our family favorite. My kids love using the timer and flipping over the waffle to start the process they feel like they are really helping and the timer let's me know when I have a perfectly crisp waffle.

Inspired by a recent stay at a hotel that provided a continental breaksfast w/Ready-Made Batter and a Waffle Maker, I decided to see what was available online. Reasonable Price and High Customer Review are the criteria I use when making any purchase. I was close to ordering a Waffle Maker that was priced approx. twice the price of this one and decided to go with the less expensive option (under $40) due to the great reviews so many people gave it. I ordered it with (3) cans of the Waffle Mix that came up by default.



Here are my findings...



1. When you set the timer for 3 mins & 30 seconds, even after a 3rd waffle-in-a-row was made, they were all golden brown and perfect!



2. The Timer does not beep when you need to flip it over half-way throught the baking process. With the Presto Waffle Maker, you set the timer for the entire cooking duration and flip the Maker immediately after pouring in the batter. When the timer beeps, Eat!



3. I oiled the grids once prior to using and should not have to oil again. Cleaning was simple after the Maker cooled down after use.



4. I wish the timer used direct electricity as opposed to batteries. It's not a big deal, just disconnected from the overall coolness of the unit.



5. I don't think the timer turns off, but is an lcd screen so uses very little battery.



6. My children and I all ate (1) waffle each, two of us used syrup and one used butter only and ate nothing again until dinner time! We love the taste and will likely make waffles a Saturday or Sunday ritual.



7. The Mix I purchased requires (1) Egg per waffle.



8. It's compact and simple to store in a cabinet and if you want to show off, leave it on the counter.



9. I highly recommend the Presto Flipside Waffle Maker, but I must qualify and let you know, I bought it 2 weeks ago. (Aug 2008).



MikeV - Waffle Guy



---------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought I might mention that I have owned this waffle maker for over a year (NOV 2009 now) and we still love it and use it fairly often. Not weekly, more like monthly, but when we do the waffles come out perfect!



MikeV - Sr. Waffle Guy'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information