Thursday 2 June 2011

Remington - remington electric razor, shaving


I was replacing an old Remington DA-407, which I have used for about 15 years, but which is no longer made. I liked the Remington dual blade/dual screen implementation, but found that most of the newer models now have 3 blades and 3 screens. OK, time for me to move up to the triple class. I didn't want to spend a lot, and some of the newest models were selling for $80 or more. I'd spend that if I had to, but wanted to spend closer to $50. I required a model that would work with a discharged battery, using the cord or with a charged battery, without the cord. I found the MSC-2700, which appeared to have all the bells and whistles, but was maybe one generation older than the newest. It has metal sides and not what appears to be a rubber coating on the newest models.



Now that I have shaved with it for about a month, I can report that I am happy. My unit is not noisy, as some reviews had mentioned. The also mentioned issue of capturing cut whiskers among the foils and allowing them to fall out when the shaver is tipped I find to be not a problem, but an advantage. A lot less whisker and dust get trapped inside and has to be brushed out. I get about 7-8 shaves between recharges. The shaver allows you to clean it by running the cutters under a faucet, but I find that drying the unit afterward is difficult. The brush does the job just fine.



All in all, I'm very happy. Thinking about buying a second one and putting it away for later use.

Remington MS3-2700 Microscreen3 Titanium Ultra Shaver (factory refurbished)



The (Factory Reconditioned)Remington MS3-2000 Micro-Screen3 Ultra Cord Mens Shaver has not performed as expected. The motor is slow and, as a result, the shave is not as good as expected. Prior to buying this reconditioned model, I owned the same razor for years, but it was brand new, not reconditioned, and it provided a nice shave. I had hoped to get the same service from this shaver purchase, but it hasn't happened.

Bought this shaver from Amazon - it arrived with a defective battery. Sent it to Remington and they replaced it with the MS-5200 model which feels cheaply built and is unbelievably loud. Beware! Remington apparently no longer supports the MS3-2700.

I bought this shaver to replace my old MS3-1000, which was only lasting 6 or 7 shaves between charges. This one only lasted two shaves! And then it didn't work well with the cord until plugged in for a minute or two. Just to give the benefit of the doubt, I recharged it fully, then tried again. Exactly the same result. I sent it back for a refund!

Then I bought an MS3-4700. It charged well. The electronic indicator showed 30 "minutes" and went down to 0 after about 15 minutes of shaving, but it still kept going on "turbo" speed for another half-hour! Keeping this one.

Feb 16 2010



I can't believe it! This Remington MS3-2700 is a winner!

Amazon sold it to me at a super-low price, around $35, as "Factory Refurbished', but it arrived in the manufacturer's original hard plastic case. So it was brand new. Who's complaining!

I already had the Remington MS3 -3000 from Amazon, so I knew roughly what to expect.

In theory, the cutting heads are the same, but in practice the shaver is far superior, and I am delighted with it! Of course, it comes with a charger, a brush, and a handsome carry-bag.

It has Remington's usual, badly-fitting guard over the shaving heads, but that is a minor matter. There are a number of shavers under the name "MS", and they all have this minor, mechanical problem, but it does not affect the performance.

The thing that has still to be determined is the life of the shaver. Remington does not want you to replace the battery, so they won't sell you one. But at $35 it's not too important.

If you can afford $35 for an excellent shaver, buy the Remington MS3-2700.





March 26th 2010

The shaver is so good, and such a bargain from Discount Jungle, that I have just bought another one for emergencies. The shaver that I reviewed above has now been running perfectly for 6 weeks or so. I get three 10-minute shaves on one charge;

I'll settle for that.

For interest, in case anyone else wonders: On my MS3-3000 the screw that allows access to the battery is cemented in and cannot be removed. I used a new screwdriver and applied a lot of torque, but nothing moved.



Once again, it is brand new and exactly as ordered.

Perfect! Yes, I know that Remington no longer sells it, but Amazon does.

Get one!

I guess I got this Remington razor through amazon also. I used the razor sparingly through the first month since I had a full beard. Then I discovered it did not keep a charge, so I went back to using my old Remington. Another bad experience with Amazon. I am thinking about throwing the "new" razor away. It would be appropriate for amazon to refund my money on this one. What a waste of my time and money.



Tom - Remington Electric Razor - Shaving'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information