Thursday 2 June 2011

Not Recommended - laptop batteries, dekcell


A quick sidenote: This review is merely for the product, and does not reflect the seller at all.



While you will look at this battery and think, "Wow, I can save $35 or so..." Don't... If anything goes wrong with the battery you cannot simply contact Apple for a replacement.



Pros: The battery has a good run-time, and is a dead ringer for the apple battery it replaces.



Cons: Poor manufacturing process allows the metal cover to separate from the rest of the battery housing. In my case, this took less than 6 months to happen under casual use. At this point the battery is bulging out of the housing, and the manufacturer (Dekcell) does not return requests for information on how to exchange the defective device. Laptop Battery for Apple A1175, Apple Macbook Pro 15" Series

As a previous reviewer mentioned, the battery cover does separate from the battery. The battery (and its loose cover) stick out from the laptop, trying to catch on things and threatening to pull the cover off altogether. I don't believe it's worth saving the money.

Title says it all - no complaints until it died without warning. Amazon was kind enough to issue a return/refund even though I was a week past the 30-day no-questions-asked return period.



I think I will go with genuine Apple for the replacement.

I read the reviews and searched the net for a replacement battery for my Macbook Pro. The prices were all over the place from $50 to $130 and the reviews were all pretty much the same .... poor. So it seemed the prudent thing was to get a reasonably priced one and see what happened.

One of the objections that I read to this one was that the color wasn't a match for the case. Yes, if you turn the computer over and tilt it back and forth you can see the difference in the surface of the battery compared to the computer case. I don't know about you, but I seldom turn mine over to view the aesthetics, and so far no one here in the "look-at-me" city I live in has made a comment (though I am ready with a couple of snappy come backs.

But the important part is the fit and function. That seems as good as the original, which was what is to be expected from any battery. Function problems are usually more related to user care than manufacturer quality, so read and follow the guidelines and you can't go wrong with this one!

When the battery arrives, it looks nice and fits close enough to match the case and be secure. The problem is the aluminum plate glued to the bottom of the battery. My MBP battery gets hot, and the glue fails under prolonged heating. The Al plate pops off and the entire guts can fall out if it's in your machine. This happened to me. However, I carefully put it all back together and glued the plate back on with some quality two-part epoxy. I did that two years ago and that battery is still working. I bought another one recently, fully expecting the plate to come off, and it did. I even helped it along so the battery guts didn't fall out unexpectedlty. I glued it with epoxy and it's doing fine.



BOTTOM LINE: If you buy this battery, the aluminum plate may come off and you will have to glue it back on. My two-year old one still has 3-4 hours of battery life, new one 4-5 hours and they only cost 1/3 of an Apple one, but both had to be glued.

I thought, "Oh, those bad reviews can't all be correct. I can save some bucks ordering this battery." But, just like others have said, the battery's cover comes off (literally becomes unglued), exposing the inside of the device. Mine completely fell apart and couldn't be fixed earlier this evening, less than five months from when I bought it. Very poor manufacturing to be sure. Get a different one - that's what I'm doing on Amazon right...now. - Apple - Dekcell - Battery - Laptop Batteries'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information