Friday 10 June 2011

Benchtop Planers


Not having space for a dust collection system, the blower on the DW735 helped me decide on the DW735 planer. The planer works really well at evacuating the chips and chip collection is a necessity. I tried using a trash can that I had but some dust came out around the handles; the handles were molded up near the can opening keeping the hood from a tight fit. I bought a 33 gallon Roughneck wheeled container at Lowe's that had a lip all around the edge and that solved the problem. I put plastic bags in the can and the hood over everything and get no escaped dust and easy emptying. The instructions say to not let the hose lay over the side of the can. I put a "J" hook in the ceiling and use a rope loop to hold up the hose so it's adjustable and out of the way, simple and effective. This thing works just as it should - I'm very pleased. DEWALT DW7353 Chip Collection Accessory for DW735 Planer

Wow! Am I glad I got this with my plainer. It collects almost all the chips and dust from the plainer. The drawstring top for the trashcan makes it very versitile. I have a very, very small shop so the ability to use a smaller trashcan adds to it's value. Using the plainer without it creates a huge mess. If you haven't used a plainer before and are forewarned on the amoung of sawdust you'll still be amazed. If you don't have a central system to hook your plainer up to, I highly recommend getting this. It will be worth every penny. I got is even though another rater talked about the hose inconviently located right above the outfeed table and it can get in the way, but I simply pull the hose up over the top of the machine and it's no problem. Again, if you don't have a central collection system...get this.

This device works fairly well although using it is similair to working with a mower bag. Some of the dust will escape when you release the device etc. This device is a chip collector not a dust collector as the fabric is very thin and light weight(hence the name chip collector). Overall however, the collector does a good job with the planer waste (chips) as does the DW735 Planer. The $40+ price tag is somewhat steep in my opinion so make sure you get free shipping to keep the cost down. Overall, a good product with 4 stars due to the price.

Most useful accessory I have purchased for my shop in years. If you do not have a vacuum system in your shop, the Chip Collection Accessory is a must have.



The chip blower on the DeWalt DW735 planer is powerful enough to direct the chip through the 10 foot plastic hose and into whatever receptacle you secure the fabric hood over. I use a 30 gal plastic garbage can. The draw string secures around the outside of the rim of the garbage can. 95% of the chips are collected directly in the garbage when you operate the planer.



The only negative thing is that with the draw string attaching to the rim of the garbage can, there are some chips that will collect between the outside of the rim and the fabric hood. When you take the hood off, these chips will fall directly on the floor at the base of the garbage can but they are all around the garbage can and makes clean up easier.



As the ground wire connects directly to the DW735 planer making removing the hood a bit more complicated, I crimped a spade type connector onto the end of the wire. When I want to remove the Chip Collector, I simply unplug the ground wire from the DW735 and release the locking collar ring from the planer discharge port.



Good value product. I would definitely recommend this accessory.

I an not happy with this product. The concept is good, but the bag leaves much to be desired. The planer has more than enough air flow to get the chips to the can, but dust was all over the place. After seeing one of the other reviews with similar comments I will look for a new bag also.

Item works well for collecting chips, greatly reduces dust and is a great alternative to a dust collection system. I would suggest using a metal garbage can or a 55-gallon drum. Also, secure the hood with a band clamp or ratchet strap, the one provide is not quite strong enough.

Excellent solution for collecting chips from planing lumber. To use this system, I purchased a plastic trash can from a local hardware store along with large plastic bags. I insert a plastic bag in the trash can and attached the Dewalt DW 7353 Chip Collection System to the trash can, then to my Dewalt DW 7353 Planer.



When the DW735 Planer is in use, it transfers the chips to the can. Clean up is relatively easy, by removing the Chip Collection bag from trash can and removing the plastic bag full of chips.



The two disadvantages of the system are (1) chip buildup between the rim of the trash can and where the accessory bag attaches to the can and (2) occasionally the accessory bag will break away from the trash can which causes chips to fall on the floor.



Overall, I recommend this system even with the two disadvantages because it save hours of cleanup and it is the cheapest solution to chip collection that I have found.

I have a 20x40 shop with quite a few tools and had a problem with the chips and dust from my planer. The collection method is great for the chips, but I still get a little dust out of the bag, which is alright concidering the amoount I had gotten before. I do us a leaf bag in the 55 gallon plastic barrell and this tends to let the sides slide off the top of the barrell if I don't get it tight enough.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Benchtop Planers Benchtop Planers Benchtop Planers