Monday 16 May 2011

Solution To Sleep Better


I have TMJ and a night retainer was recommended to help bring my bottom jaw forward in order to help with my TMJ and my snoring. Unfortunately this was not covered by our insurance.



I tried a mouth guard advertised on T.V., but it was very very uncomfortable and nothing but a hard piece of plastic. I've been shopping on Amazon for years and rely on product photo's and reviews and have never been lead astray! I searched for a mouth guard on Amazon and found Snore-Ex. The photo showed a before and after shot of molding the mouth guard. The product looked like it was made of a more plyable material, so I gave it a try!



Upon recieving the mouth guard I molded it as instructed and it molded to my mouth/teeth perfectly! Just like any mouth guard/retainers, it takes some getting used to. The first week, there was an increase of drooling...sorry to be gross, but gotta be honest...and I removed the mouth guard in the middle of the night because it just felt overwhelming. I continued to wear it because my husband said it was working! After a week or 2 the drooling stopped and it no longer feels overwhelming!



I love this product and highly recommend you give it a try over any other product being sold. I'm planning on buying at least 2 more so I'll never be without it!

I was scheduled for surgery to relieve snoring, but decided to try this device on the off chance it might work. The instructions were extremely clear, and the device was comfortable from the first night. My wife reported that my snoring stopped immediately, and has not returned with continued use. Increased salivation is a minor problem, but I keep the device in without difficulty. I am also able to sleep through the night for the first time in years. I use it with the nasal spreader, which allows me to breath through my nose for the first time in years and is also very comfortable. For the cost, I think it is worth a try for any adult who meets the criteria for using it. I cancelled my surgery.



BTW, I am a physician.

I tried a similar product "Stop Snoring" here on Amazon. Both seem to work alike.



First of all , I've had sleep apnea for a long time . I've tried the CPAP route . THey say CPAP compliance is at best 40%, so it's not really a good solution for most of us, and being expensive it really didn't work well for me. ALthough the techie in me did enjoy all the neat settings , adjustments ...



Also I 've done the oral appliance thing made by my dentist with a crank on the front to force your lower jaw forward while being hooked in to the upper jaw. It was hard plastic and really hurt to wear. After spending a bunch of money the damn thing broke in two..SO much for almost 1000 bucks...



Much of the fit for this thing is trial and error . But I have found I only have to bring my lower jaw forward just a bit and I get a clear airway. Based on past experience I know that if my jaw is brought forward enough, there is no way my airway can close down. This is true of almost everyone.I have noticed a major change in my energy level , and my live-in says she can get a good nights sleep now.



The BIG advantage here for me is COST and comfort . Compared to what I have spent to find a reasonable solution , this thing is a steal, even if I have to replace it a few times a year. Also because the thing is made of soft material my discomfort is very very manageable. The material also makes it where I can trim around with a utility knife to tweak some of the fit.



I really would like to have the newest surgery with that new "laser thingee" , but that's not in the budget any time soon.



The one I currently use does not fit that well, but it still works. SO getting an excellient fit is not required; just so that your lower jaw comes forward a bit. Also after about 3 times trying to get a fit , the thing runs out of ability to go into the hot water...

This device actually works really well, unlike most of the other snoring cures out there. My wife said my snoring went from "intolerable" to about 95% gone after wearing this.



I think one of the key things is making sure you get a good fit with it. And that takes a little effort. Basically, the mouthpiece is plastic that softens considerably around the boiling point of water. Once you soften it, you put it in your mouth and need to make sure of the following



1) Your bottom teeth are aligned with your top teeth (and be careful not to push the bottom teeth in front of the front, or you will put too much strain on your jaw joint when wearing it)



2) You make sure there is a tight grip on the front and back of the teeth (read the instructions on that first).



It took me two tries. The setup is a little clumsy. They give you a Popsicle stick to hold the device with while it's in the water and it also forms a breathing hole in the device after it's removed. The problem is that you need to hold the device in boiling water, and the stick is basically coming straight out from the front. So you have to hold it at an angle to get it in the water. Too steep an angle and it will slide off, since it softens in the hot water. Then you've got some problems since if it's in the water too long, the whole thing softens too much and the hole for the stick closes up as well. This happened to me the first time, and I had to reheat it again, force the stick through, then reheat again to get it softened enough for fitting.



However, once that's done, and you get a good fit, it's reasonably comfortable. It's better than a dental appliance I had about 10 years ago that was $300. If you've never worn one before, it is somewhat uncomfortable, but unfortunately, that's just the price you have to pay to treat snoring effectively. CPAP isn't exactly comfortable either!'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information