Monday 16 May 2011

Powered Subwoofer


Judging from a lot of the reviews here people seemed to be expecting more. Like expecting to pay more for the same or less. I looked at several kits here and elsewhere and I went ahead and ordered this for installing a Boss Bass1200 in a Tacoma pickup (I don't need to rock the car next to me, just me and my passengers). The fuse holder alone costs as much elsewhere (I saw the exact one) as the who kit does here. I don't do this professionally. Install car audio components. I don't have a tool drawer full of 8 gauge wires and nuts and crimp-on fittings (well, some) so this kit looked like the right thing and is enough to do the job with stuff left over. I've got a few niches open in my toolbox to fill. If you're a pro, or a wannabe-pro, I'm not talking to you. If you're a new car owner or someone just trying to upgrade his/her car stereo and you need a kit like this, buy it. It's a good deal. Boss KIT-2 Complete 8 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit

The cabling is strictly average for the power and ground, nothing exciting. They are NOT 8 gauge however, they closer to 10. I have plenty examples of 8 gauge wires and this isn't it.



The rca cable that comes with the kit isn't bad. The remote turn on is a little thin with the copper for my taste. The speaker wire is AWFUL. It may have the jacket of a 16 gauge speaker wire, but it has the copper of a 20 gauge. It is WAY to thin on the copper. I had a spool of RCA 14 gauge I ended up using instead.



The MO for this kit is use thick jackets to make it LOOK like the right size, then use less copper. I guess the extra jacket helps with shielding if nothing else.

I used this kit with a BOSS compact sub. It installed perfectly into a 2000 Jeep Cherokee. I would definitely buy this item again, even if I wasn't installing a BOSS sub. Its pretty flexible and provided me with plenty of wiring. I would recommend it without hesitation.

Everything I needed to wire my amp, quality components and ring terminals and thick wires. The speaker wire it came with was great too. Don't dump a ton of $ of Monster Cables, just because they have a name. It's good stuff and I recommend this kit. For around $12 you absolutely can't go wrong.

Thanks to the reviews on Amazon when I purchased a new BOSS Audio sub-woofer for my truck, there was mention of this kit and how beneficial it was in completing installation. It made the install go much more smoothly than I could have imagined. From start to finish it took me an hour and ten minutes to run all the wiring (nicely hidden I might add), mount the sub, make all connections between the battery, sub and head unit, and have the music playing.



For the money, the sub and installation kit are a great deal. You'll get your money's worth.



I honestly think BOSS Audio should include this kit with their sub and raise the price to reflect the addition. It would just make things easier.

I bought this item with a boss audio amplified subwoofer. It is made a little cheap, but all and all it came with everything that you need to hook up a car amp and subwoofer. It has plenty of wire to reach for those bigger cars. I would recommend this product if youre on a budget. Worked great for me.

As stated in the title "undersize wire, CHEAP zipties". But it has everything there for a low budget, low powered amp install. However it does NOT have provisions for hooking the main hot wire to a side terminal battery. Even so... still for a low power install it's fine.

A decent kit of reasonable quality. It will definitely get the job done and is perfect if you're on a budget. Had plenty of cable left after wiring the amp in under the rear seat of my Jeep Cherokee. I recommend heat shrink tubing to seal everything up nice around the clips and wire grommets.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information