Monday 16 May 2011

2-way radio - 2 way radios, two-way family service radio


3.5 stars. I bought these walkies for use on a cruise. The walkies did the job on the ship and I was successfully able to communicate with my friends while on board. There was often static during the calls, and conversations greater than 5 words each way, were difficult to hear. We were able to communicate, because we kept our responses to 1 or 2 word answers. I was able to reach my friends anywhere on the ship, the Carnival Elation. Once I left the ship and went to Ensenada, Mexico, I was unable to reach anyone in my party. I got nowhere near the 5 mile range advertised.



Having never used a walkie before, I found the setup and use extremely user friendly. I did not have to replace the battery for the entire length of the cruise (4 days), and I used the walkie multiple times per day. I did turn it off after going to bed.



I purchased the pair from Radioshack for $20, and believe that for the money, you can't expect more than you get from this radio.



Summary:



Pros: low price, user friendly, lightweight, uses three AAA batteries

Cons: Quality of call, range is nowhere near 5 miles as advertised.



I would recommend this product to anyone who wants a cheap way to communicate with others, for short (no more than 5 words per response) conversations, within a 1 mile radius. Motorola TalkAbout FV300 10-Mile 22-Channel FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radio (Pair)

The radio doesn't have any where near the range or clarity it claims to have. Other than being compact which was a great feature, the radio is no better than a cheap radio you would give a kid to play with.

All of the 12 different Motorola Talkabouts that I have bought over the past 11 years, including my 1999 T-5950 model, ALL had 121 Interference Elimination Codes (Privacy Codes, or Squelch Codes). The radios use this code when they transmit to activate the speakers on the other radios in the group on the same channel and code.



The model radio listed on this page does not have this code. That is fine if you only use FRS/GMRS radios without codes, but if you want this radio to work with others that use these codes, you'll have to disable that feature on all the other radios.



As for range, I tested it at 100 meters, through a couple of houses, and it worked fine, with some static audible. I like the fact that all the buttons, including volume, can be locked, so that pockets and kids can't change the channel, or turn it down by mistake.



This is, by an inch, the smallest Talkabout I have owned, which is good. The radio body is just 3.5" long.

These radios have to be practically touching each other to get a signal. If you have clear line of sight you get no more than 400m range... if you go around a corner under urban conditions, you can be no more than 25m away. A complete waste of money.

I gave the set to my nephew as a Christmas gift knowing that it is probably more powerful than he needs to use around the house and in the yard. I anticipate, though, that these walkie-talkies will be with him for years and as his range increases, he'll still be within range of his walkie-talkies.

Fabulous for inside and out. Click..What? You need water...Click Ok...on way up! So much fun! The on/off should be a little more clear so as to not run out of battieries, but Mrs. Claus's advice is to ALWAYS have triple AAA's around. Enjoy! - Two-way Family Service Radio - 2 Way Radios - 2-way Radio'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information