Friday 27 May 2011

Magellan Gps - magellan gps


The mount is a quality product just not for the very large roadmate 1700. Even the factory windshield mount is not sufficient to hold that large gps still. I did however use the mount on my 2010 Tahoe and it was perfect for the Garmin by using the vent mount and Garmin holder.

The bottom line is, if your gps is larger than 4.25 inchs wide it will shake. Also the mount doesn't work on vents that pivot horizontally, such as many of the chevrolet trucks, unless you pin the vent by drilling a small hole inserting a very small very short nail to lock it in place. For a small gps I would rate the mount 5 stars but not for the 1700. I hope this review is of value to you. Magellan Roadmate 1700 1475T 1470 1445T 1440 1430 1424 1420 SE4 1412 1400 1340 1220 1212 1210 1200 GPS Vent Mount Kit by ChargerCity w/360° Viewing Adjustment GPS Holder Cradle, Enhanced Spring Vent Mount & Micro SD USB Card Reader (ChargerCity® Manufacture Replacement Warranty)

I think this item is not very well designed overall. It's got too many adjustments, making it overly heavy and large. It's not very easy to take off - the clips are hard to remove, and the connection for the two parts (connected by a ball and socket) is cumbersome also; you need to unscrew a tightening device, and it often comes off completely when you try to do it. I just squeeze the thing to its smallest setting, making it look like a cell phone holder, hoping a thief would assume the cell phone is with me, not hidden under the seat or in the glove compartment like they might assume if it looks like a GPS mount.



The clips are too big for my Acura vents, but fortunately, it will connect to a previous holder I had for an old Garmin, which ends with a ball about the same size as the one that comes with this, but is a little less elaborate. It does work with my son's old Camry, and with my wife's Lexus.

I love this mount! This mount allows me to have full view of the screen and does not force me to have to block any of my windshield. I would recommend that the manufacturer/seller would enclose instructions as I inserted the GPS incorrectly for the first week or so, maybe it's just me.... But I love it and think it is worth every cent! I would never go back to the windshield mount!

<3

One of the main problems with the mount that comes with most GPS devices is that 1.) It never stays put and it always falling off with that stupid suction cup on the windshield thing and 2.) People who steal GPS devices know that you have one simply because of the mark that the suction cup leaves. This vent-mount does aaway with all of that, plus it doesn't block your view when you are driving. money well spent.

It didn't perform as the literature said it would.



For one thing, setting a route was very difficult. Another thing, the POI's I was looking for on a trip to Eastern Canada weren't there.



Overall, it didn't seem to work in logical sequence. Very uneven. For example, from my home in Western NY, I wanted to go around the east side of Lake Ontario and cross into Canada in Northern NY. It routed me around the west/north side of the lake, even though I added intermediate points to Northern NY. It wouldn't let go if it's chosen route, even if I sequenced the route to go my preferred way.



I returned it for a Garmin Nuvi 465T. Much better.



The large screen was great. However the rest of the unit didn't perform - Magellan Gps'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information