Saturday 9 April 2011

Under Counter - crappy, cd player


This product fits nicely under the cabinet...hardly noticeable. The radio has a quality sound. Don't expect to pick up AM stations out of the immediate area...one of my favorites is about 35 miles away but it has a lot of static. Too bad there is no way of extending the antenna. The directions say to rotate the radio till you get the best reception BUT that is impossible once you secured it to the cabinet. When the radio first arrived the cd player did not work. Amazon sent a new one quickly and had other one picked up. The CD on this one works fine. GE 75300 GE Slim Spacemaker CD player with Digital Clock and AM / FM Radio, Under-Counter Mounting system.

I had seen the other reviews but thought I'd get a working one. No such luck. The CD player was dead on arrival. Smooth return process throught Amazon's third party retailer. Its a shame as I thought it was a handsome unit, with radio sound and tuning superior to the previous kitchen under counter radio we had.

I compared prices on a under-the-counter mounting GE radio.Cheapest price was with Amazon.com because of they not charging for shipping. Now that it was ordered thru them, a shipping & handling charge was assessed @ $9.12. Product is delievered not functioning, has to be sent to the manufacture for warranty. Postage is $16.40. Could have bought locally @ Sears for less money & if it didn't work they would of replaced it at that store. Lesson learned!

Too bad Amazon won't allow 0 or negative stars. I read the bad reviews on these but decided to try it anyway because the fetching Mrs. wanted it bad. What a mistake! When the plastic mount for the laser pickup broke from snapping CDs onto the spindle, it jammed and burned out a motor. It is the cheeziest CD drive mechanism I have ever laid eyes on, and I've seen a lot of them in my line of work. Avoid this piece of junk at all costs!

Works great out of the box. Some reviews mentioned problems with the CD but mine worked fine but took some time to start on the first try. It mounted easly under the upper kitchen cabinet. No problem with signal strength happy to say since the unit it replaced had problems. The brightness of the digital clock is adjustiable and I use it as a night light in the kitchen. The remote control is powerful enough to control the unit from accross the room and adheres to the refrigerater (magnet) with my wife useing it to hang things. This is a Thomson Inc product (purchased the GE & RCA names several years ago) that makes TV's ect.

I am very happy with the product and recommend it.

I rate this "0". I bought the GE 75300 CD/Radio to replace an older model GE 74290A. The CD player crapped out on the older model. I have a GE kitchen and was some what happy with the older model. The GE 75300 is difficult to adjust the volume, the CD player skipped at the slightest disturbance in the room and I was totally not happy with its performance or sound quality. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. THERE ARE BETTER PRODUCTS OUT. The only good point with the GE Spacemaker Under Cabinet Mount CD/Radio is the "light". I will mount the GE 75300 in the garage and use it as a night-light.

I replaced the GE75300 with a Sony FM/AM CD Kitchen Clock Radio IFC-CD523. The Sony sounds awesome (IT ROCKS), does not skip even with the volume all the way up, is easy to operate, can easily turn volume up and down, can turn Bass on and off (I could never find a way to turn the Bass off on the GE). The Sony has no light, but I can live without the extra light. I will NEVER buy another GE CD/Radio for the kitchen.

I installed the 75300 over a countertop microwave and under a cabinet. It was a little tight so I countersunk 1/4" holes for the 3 raised spacers to make some room. Even so, the CD door just grazes the top of the microwave when it opens. So far so good. I'm getting good FM and AM reception and get low volume but not static on the weather band. I put two AAA batteries in the remote but it doesn't work. A second set of AAA's did not resolve te problem. The front of the unit has printing saying "remote sensor". Should a light blink when a working remote sends a command? I intend to take the remote back to Target so see if another unit will work with it, or swap it for a working one. - Crappy - Junk - Cd Player - Under Cabinet Radio'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Under Counter - crappy, cd player cd player Under Counter - crappy, cd player