Saturday 9 April 2011

Kindle Leather Cover - neoprene case, kindle dx


I like it because it covers my Kindle DX but isn't attached to it. I can take the Kindle DX out, use it and then put it back in. Also important to me, it closes all the way around preventing dust/dirt from getting on the Kindle when toting it around.



My only complaints:

- It's expensive for what it is. $20-30 would have been a more reasonable price. Granted, I still paid for it so I guess it is the 'right price'.

- It's slightly too big. I would have preferred that the Kindle fit more snuggly inside. As it is it seems like it's about .5-inch too big on both the length and width.



I'd recommend it over the Amazon leather cover because:

- it doesn't attach (you can read about those problems in reviews for the Amazon version)

- it zips up and keeps dust/dirt from getting on your Kindle Belkin Neoprene Kindle DX Case (Fits 9.7" Display, Latest and 2nd Generation Kindles)

Recently I took this on several plane trips across country in carry-on luggage. This sleeve worked well protecting the DX from bumps, crushing and seat junk left by previous passengers. It's expensive for what it is, but it is well constructed. The zipper seems very sturdy. It looks very professional.



On the other hand there isn't a place for the USB cable. If you want to be able to read while the Kindle is in the sleeve then this is not the sleeve for you. Finally the fake leather part does not cover the entire screen so something sharp might be able to puncture it and damage the screen.

This product is sturdy, and fully closed and zipped will help protect your kindle if it's in a carry on bag with dirt and debris.



CAREFUL: The additional photos show the product barely opens on two sides - just enough to easily take your Kindle in and out. But once the kindle is out, this case sits at your side, not offering any protection while you use your kindle. I tried just holding the kindle on the case when reading, but dropped it twice when it slid out of my grip leaving me just holding the case.



I returned this and bought the Amazon leather cover which securely holds kindle, and you can fully fold the front cover behind it when reading the kindle... the advantage is if you drop it, there are leather edges on the folder that will help buffer the fall.



If you aren't clumsy like me and will never drop it, you don't need to worry about it. Otherwise, go for the Amazon cover that locks the kindle in the cover and snag an expanding office folder with cover flap to carry it in briefcases and carry on bags.

This case is very well made and I'm sure it'll last a long time. I agree with one of the other reviewers that they should have made the "leather" cover the entire screen of the DX, not just 3/4 of the screen. I disagree with another reviewer who said that the case is 1/2 inch too big in length and width- it fits the DX almost perfectly, and the DX does not slide around inside the case.



I put the word 'leather' in quotes above because Amazon advertises it as being made of "high-quality leather," but the manufacturer's tag says "faux leather." Amazon should not be charging $45 for a case made with faux leather. I'm keeping it because it protects the DX better than any other case available, but the price Amazon is charging is more than the case is worth.

I feel this case could offer a little more. I carry my Kindle with me almost everywhere I go so I also have my charger with me (and have had to use it on occasion). I have to force the zipper closed when I am ready to take off. Maybe something with a pocket on the outside to hold this would be a good idea.

This is an excellent case for the following reasons:



1) Protective: The neoprene inside will protect the Kindle DX from scratches and the usual bumps. (It isn't strong enough to protect from sharp blows to the screen, or dropping.)

2) Zipper zips sufficiently far around that you can get the Kindle in and out very easily, and without the zipper causing a scratch. (Which it wouldn't anyway, as it is plastic, and the teeth are on the outside of case when unzipped, away from where you'd be sliding the Kindle in or out.)

3) Feels good to carry. The Kindle is snug enough that it doesn't slide around inside it, and both the cloth parts and faux leather parts of the outside of the cover feel good on the hands.

4) Fits the Kindle DX well. In fact, even if you have the Kindle in a silicone sleeve it will still fit (very snugly) inside the case. (But the silicone sleeve is unnecessary if you have the case, I took mine off. It also doesn't slide as easily in or out with the silicone sleeve on.)

5) Looks clean and simple, not ostentatious, and is also light.



Possible improvement for future revisions of this product:



1) A little half-pocket inside to slip a business card into so that when you leave your Kindle behind in a cafe the new owner can know who to thank.



(This review doesn't have a "Amazon verified purchase" tag because I received it as a gift from someone who bought it at Amazon.com.)

Be very careful when opening your Belkin Kindle case. The Kindle can slide out the bottom or side and crash to the floor if you are not careful. Always have the case level and the zipper facing up before you open it. My Kindle was trashed when I opened the bottom while holding the case upright and the Kindle fell onto a concrete floor.

I bought this last year after I purchased my 2nd gen Kindle. I had looked at all the different holders for my kindle, but this one caught my attention. I absolutely love it!!! It protects my kindle completely. I am always carrying my kindle in it and it goes just about everywhere I go. I can have it in the cover and stick the whole thing in either my purse or computer bag and the cover protects the kindle from scratches. I also take my kindle out and use the cover to set my kindle on when reading on a flat surface like a table or desk, this way the back of the kindle is not scratched either. If you are looking for a kindle holder that can carry the charger as well, then this is not for you. - Kindle Dx - Leather Cover - Neoprene Case - Kindle Dx Case'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Kindle Leather Cover - neoprene case, kindle dx neoprene case Kindle Leather Cover - neoprene case, kindle dx