Saturday 9 April 2011

Sharpening Tools - knife sharpner, knife sharpener


I'll admit it. I'm a bad, bad knife keeper. I never, ever sharpen my knives. I tend to let them just go dull and complain about how they never cut anything ever. My husband complains bitterly about them, but I never wanted to spend $50 or $100 on an auto-sharpener that I may or may not figure out, and that may or may not work well.



So, after seeing a rave review of this manual sharpener in an old issue of Cook's Illustrated, I decided it would be worth trying out for $13. If I could sharpen my EXTREMELY DULL knives, then I'd be happy. If it didn't work, I was out $13.



Works like a dream! In under fifty strokes (about a minute) my lousy old knives became sharp new knives! No more sawing at tomatoes! No more slipping off of peppers! No more tearing meat! It even sharpens scissors! And for $13 it's a bargain! The sharpener even ships with a set of replacement blades.



It's easy to use, hard to screw up, extremely efficient, and a bargain. I would recommend this to anybody!



This is by far the best knife sharpener I've ever owned. The tungsten carbide sharpener bits require only a couple of passes to restore just about any knife's original sharpness. I tried it on half a dozen knives and the operation is quick, efficient and effortless.



The manufacturer claims that the sharpeners should last for several years but, surprise, you can get double its life by reversing the bits - all you need is to remove 2 screws, reverse the bits and then tighten the screws back. The manufacturer's claim was persuasive enough for me to not regret saving a few bucks and actually ordering the version that does not include the replacement blades.



For non-commercial users, the manufacturer promises to fix or replace any unit for any reason if the owner returns it with $4.00 to cover postage and handling. There are no lawyery warranty exclusions or exorbitant fees or requests to provide extensive documentation. Now THAT's what I call a honest warranty policy.



I am very happy with this purchase and I am happy to note that not all of our manufacturing went overseas. If you need a knife sharpener I just can't see how you could get any better for the price. I'd say "go for it!".

Wow, this thing really works! Took it out of the package and I was sharpening knives in no time. Very pleasantly surprised, for all the dubious claims out there. All it takes is 5 or so strokes on the knife edge and you have a sharp blade.

I wasn't looking to spend a ton of money for a knife sharpener as I rather spend my money on good knives. This tool was rated in Cooks Illustrated as a recommended tool. It is easy to use and works extremely well.

Just a few strokes and my knives were cutting like new again. Be sure you wash the knife after sharpening because the metal that gets shaved off sticks to the blade and will end up in your food if you don't wash after sharpening.

I bought this based on a Cook's Illustrated review and I must admit that it works great. Very easy to use, although you do have to be careful the first couple of times. Make sure you follow the directions!

I ordered the AccuSharp Knife Sharpener With Replacement Blades, hoping it would do the trick for me to keep my knives sharp and ready to use. This sharpener is easy to use and even sharpens my serrated knives! I'm very pleased with it.

OK I received my new AccuSharp Knife Sharpener today in warp-speed time. I immediately took it out, saved the card and extra blades in a kitchen drawer, then I went on a tear. I started with scissors - at least 10 of those (oops don't use on scissors! I've ruined 10 and have quickly ordered the scissor sharpener and TWO more knife sharpeners), then on to the Henckels (my husband turned white) but goodness gracious we could skin a bear with those knives now. Not to be outdone, my husband took out the Henckels sharpener to a 10" chefs knife (the old butcher crossed swords look) even after I had sharpened it with my new treasure. But when he got into the act he was VERY pleased and impressed with it. I've sharpened four pruning shears with another four or five of those to go. Some of the pruning shears don't open wide enough to allow you to sharpen the entire curved blade. Even if this thing stopped working today it was worth every penny paid for it. It's so simple to use that even a child could use it. Simply hold the knife, blade up, in your left hand at waist height and with your right hand pressing the sharpener over it from left to right and visa versa for you lefties. You will get "the feel" for it immediately. It is near impossible to hurt yourself with this; you would have to be one of those klutzy women on the TV commercials who can't flip an egg with a spatula without the special tool they're selling.

Hard to believe this knife sharpener for this price really works, and it works exceptionally well also. I have about 5 or 6 knife sharpeners hanging around the house that I have collected over the years that fall into the category of they kind of work. This one I can honestly say does work. I never thought it worthwhile to buy one of those hundred dollar + sharpeners, since I only do major carving 7 or 8 times a year. Now I am glad I didn't, the Accusharp probably sharpens as well or better than most of the high priced sharpeners. This model comes with extra blades, well worth it for the price. You will pay 2 or 3 times more if you order the blades later. Make sure you read the directions first although this sharpener is extremely easy to use, it works a bit differently than most other sharpeners.



Today I sharpened my long and short handled pruning shears that have not been sharpened for over 6 years, and extremely dull. With the exception of the extreme inside of the curved blade "which is hard to reach" they came out nice and sharp again. Saved me the expense of buying new one's, which I was thinking about since these where just not cutting well anymore. - Kitchen Knife - Sharpener - Sharpening Tools - Knife Sharpeners - Knife Sharpener - Knife Sharpner'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information