Tuesday 26 April 2011

Surge Protector - good value, surge protectors


I just recently purchased this for my TV and 1 week later a mixup caused 220V to surge throughout the house for about 10 seconds. What happened? Some lights went out, the fridge completely burned out and I need a new one, I could smell smoke from something, but....my TV is perfectly OK.



The surge protector no longer works and now I need another one, but at least it's cheaper than a new TV. Oh yeah, I'm now buying units for EVERYTHING in the house, and even if it fails, Belkin has a warranty to replace the equipment, what else could someone ask? Belkin SurgeMaster F9H620-CW 6-Outlet Wall-Mount Surge Protector

On the back of the package, the UL Clamping Voltage is listed as 500V. The package says that for "sensitive electronics," you should get a clamping voltage rating of 400V or lower. So, the package is telling you that this product is NOT a good choice for sensitive electronics.

An adequate surge protector but i had one unexpected design flaw. To secure it to the wall outlet you need to use the center screw. The problem is that all my outlets (and some more modern outlets) don't have a hole for center screws. Why is this important? The protector is bulky and if you just pull on a cord attached to it, it can pull out the entire protector. Simple enough to hold the wall outlet against the wall and then pull out a power cord.

I live where there's a lot of power surges and outages, and I've thrown a lot of surge protectors away over the years as they become used up from successive small hits or (maybe) big ones. So I use it to protect my UPS, which has great surge protection in it, but I don't want it to get used up. (It goes between the wall and the UPS, not after the UPS.)

We rarely get lightning in this area and very few power surges. I have never lost anything to a power surge. So, I can't speak to how well it would do as a surge protector. I bought this unit mainly to convert a two-plug outlet into six under the kitchen sink.



One of the reasons I chose this particular unit was because another reviewer complained that it only had one plug on the back. That turned out to be the clincher for me. Before we remodeled the kitchen, the garbage disposal was operated by a switch next to a light switch. The bottom plug in that outlet was wired to the switch. The new disposal has a button in the countertop next to the water faucet, so the switch is not needed. Now we have three appliances that need A/C and only one plug since I do not want any of them on the switch. This unit was perfect. Now I get six outlets and none of them are on the switch. Luckily, the Belkin plugs into the top outlet, because that's the one that's not wired to the switch. ;-)



I like that it has a grounded light in addition to one that says it's working (not fried). I like that I get six outlets. I like that it screws securely into the center of the base, just like the faceplate.



I guess I like that it goes over the faceplate, especially since it does would not completely cover the cutout. I love the suggestion of another reviewer to tape the screw to the Belkin so it will be handy if you remove it and need to secure the faceplate. This works perfectly under the sink. It would not work so well if it were installed on a wall or counter. It is attractive enough that it could be installed where it would be visible.



I like the unit. I am deducting one star for the packaging. It comes in one of those maddening clamshells that require the Jaws of Life to open. I have cut myself several times trying to pry something out of those packages.

Many people review surge protectors with tragic stories of losing electronics in surges or lightning storms. I don't have any of those stories. I want to avoid those stories. Enter: Belkin.



I bought two of these. I have a lot of pretty expensive equipment, including a $3,000 loudspeaker system, several Fender tube amps, a whole board filled with expensive guitar effects pedals, an expensive Mac and an embarrassingly expensive class-A headphone amp. I list all of that to say, I needed peace of mind to protect my stuff. $50,000 insurance on equipment? Wonderful! Lifetime guarantee? Wonderful!



They are a nice size; only slightly bigger than my outlets' cover plates and stick out 1.5" from the wall once installed. Installation is almost as easy as plugging something in... You first need to remove the screw from your outlet's cover plate, plug the surge protector in (with the cover plate between it and the wall), and then tighten its included screw in. The surge protector's AC plug, the secondary plastic "tooth" (it sticks out and plugs into the other outlet's ground slot), and the screw all hold this protector tightly to the wall.



Talk about a value. More outlets and $50,000 worth of protection for under $10? What a steal! Buy them and put them all over your house! You'll thank me (and Belkin) someday! - Electrical - Surge Protectors - Good Value - Belkin'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information