Tuesday 26 April 2011

Panasonic


I should preface this by saying that I used to be a semi-professional news photographer, so I tend to expect more from a camera than the average consumer might. I have a DSLR that I use for anything serious, but I need to have a pocket camera for those occasions where the DSLR is overkill, but the cell phone won't cut it.



Bought this to replace my Pentax Optio S6. I had purchased an Optio S3 for my folks, and was impressed by the quality of the pics that such a tiny little camera could kick out. But the S6 never seemed to work quite as well as that S3-- the autofocus always seemed to fail just enough that the pic looked ok on the camera screen, but was bad when I downloaded it to the PC. I was also never that impressed with the flash for indoor pictures.



So when making this purchase, I basically wanted to correct those three issues-- better autofocus, better overall image quality, and better indoor/flash images.



So far, this camera is winning on all three counts. The autofocus kicks in in about half the time as the S6, and it has a focus assist light that I don't remember noticing on the Optio. In low-light situations, I'm getting reliable focus when zooming in on objects that are 10 feet away. The image stabilization seems to work very well, and it's much more obvious if a picture is out of focus or blurry than it was with the S6.



The flash definitely appears to be a lot more powerful, but until I use it to take pictures in a bar at night, I can't give the final word on that.



Likewise, the pictures I've taken so far appear to be pretty good-- the camera compensated for twilight conditions well on full-auto mode, although things were a bit oversaturated. The auto ISO adjustment kicked out relatively noise-free pictures even at 800, and 400 looked as good as anything I've gotten out of a point and shoot before. The real test here will be taking some outdoor pics in full daylight.



One feature worth pointing out, if you're more accustomed to SLRs-- you have a dedicated exposure compensation button on the back of the camera, allowing you to make some manual adjustments to the image. The results are shown on the display in real time, so I was able to have the camera correctly focus on the ground, but expose for the sky. From what I've seen, however, you don't have the ability to adjust shutter, f-stop, or focus manually, although you can lock the camera to a specifc ISO.



The video apppears to be acceptable-- I was pleasantly surprised to see that the image stabilization worked with the video, although the final result was nowhere near as sharp as I would normally expect out of HDTV resolutions. This may have been due to lighting conditions.



Overall, this is a solid unit that's only a little wider than the diminutive Optio S series, while being slightly less deep. I'm impressed by what I've seen so far-- this definitely seems like the pocket camera that I needed. Small enough to not have an excuse to leave behind, powerful enough to take good shots, and at a price that doesn't break the budget. Panasonic Lumix DMC-FP1 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7-Inch LCD (Blue)

When I first received my camera, my jaw dropped.



The packaging was neatly packed inside a small box and the camera protected by a dust cover (?). I was ecstatic to know I wouldn't have to go pay $100s on batteries as this camera is rechargeable, a big plus for me! The iA (intelligent auto) is great. I never knew what mode to place my camera in for pictures to come out clear and crisp and knowing my camera can do that, another Pro! The flash is super bright. I've now decided I won't buy a camera unless it can slide down to turn on. It's also a less worry of the lens jamming as it doesn't come out. The blue was a GREAT colour choice.



I highly recommend this camera to those not looking to spend a lot, and still want professional looking pictures!

I'm a long-time film, and now digital, SLR user who needed something better than the (very low quality) camera in my Droid to carry around from day to day. This little Panasonic Lumix is slim, lightweight, and has a thoughtfully designed slide cover over the lens and flash that turns the camera on when opened and protects delicate parts well when closed. It's a no-brainer to use, although I've only had it for a few days and have not tried to explore features beyond the obvious. For instance, I have not used the digital zoom (which is invariably disappointing even in far more expensive cameras anyway).



I took it around Lincoln Square in Chicago yesterday and it passed several challenges. In particular, I used it indoors without flash, and I was very impressed. Some images had to be brightened a bit (nb, I use PhotoShop, I have not tried the software supplied with it) to bring out details and contrast, but I have to do the same thing with photos off my Nikon SLR in similar conditions, it's par for the course. What is good about the camera is that it is smart enough to compensate for low light and record details, even if a little tweaking is required to see them on the photo. Being used to having a view finder and being able to brace a camera against me when I shoot, I have to concentrate hard to hold it still out in front of my face (no view finder on this little dude), but I didn't end up with any blurry photos from my own movement, suggesting that the image stabilization is working.



I fiddled with macro mode a bit and was very happy with the sharpness of the results as well.



If you're used to an SLR or a more sophisticated digital camera, you'll have to cut this little camera some slack, but you'll find it umpteen times better than your camera phone. Enjoy!

This Lumix DMC-FP1 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 4x zoom almost immediately replaced my Lumix DMC-FH20 14.1 MP 8x. The loss of double the zoom and the 2 MegaPixles was more than made up by ending frequent lens jam and retraction problems with the DMC-FH20.



After getting rid of the DMC-FH20 I find the DMC-FP1 not only a suitable but an excellent replacement with both models using the same slim battery. In the DMC-FP1 it lasts more than +400 pictures (I rarely use flash) on a full charge. I don't know how long a full charge would last with the DMC-FH20, I didn't keep it long enough to find out once the lens jam and retraction problems began. On the subject of the Panasonic DMW-BCF10PP Battery, most after-market non-manufacturer made batteries will NOT work with either camera. These cameras "know" when a substitute is inserted.



The DMC-FP1 aluminum frame and sliding lens cover (maybe entirely aluminum body) protect the camera in either a man's front pocket or a woman's small purse. This is an excellent take everywhere camera with 24 hour capability to provide up to 8x10 prints ( well, 5x7 almost always). After more than three months, it's my constant companion.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Panasonic Panasonic Panasonic