Wednesday 27 April 2011

Sony Universal Learning Remote - universal learning remote, learning remote


I bought three of these for my home last week to replace a pile of remotes in my living room, den and bedroom. For each room, I needed at least some of the buttons on each of the remotes to do this or that. No more, thanks to the "learning" function.





You start out, of course, by putting in the code for each device as found in the table in the back of the manual. Under Satellite, DirecTV codes were listed but not my DishTV device. No problem. The "search for correct code" function found it after just a few keystrokes.





Now, after that, some of the functions were missing. For instance, after coding in my DVD device, the Sony600 remote did not seem to have a button that would open/close the DVD tray door ... even though the original DVD remote did. No problem. This Sony600 easily "learns" what your original remote buttons do. The Sony600's DVD "exit" button didn't do anything, so I taught it to do what my original remote's "open/close" button did. How? Basically you just point the two remotes head-to-head, push the Sony600's "learn" button, push the button on the Sony600 that you want "to learn," then push the button on the original remote that you want "to be learned." Ta-da! Save the "learning" and you are done. I was able to transfer EVERY function from ALL my other remotes onto my Sony600 ... I now have one remote (in each room) that will do EVERYTHING ALL the other remotes did.





AND the range is much better than the old remotes as well.





Plus you can train the Sony600 to record and replay a sequence of keystrokes you make on the Sony600 ... it will replay the sequence with a one button touch (the A-B-C-D buttons at bottom are for that). I trained it to do several of these "macros" as well. For instance, I have some wireless headphones attached to the TV ... to make them work, I have to go into the TV's menu and work my way over to the place where I redirect the audio output and such. Turned on the Sony600 "learn" mode, then just performed all the required kestrokes .... TV, menu, down, left, left, enter and so on ... then saved it to the button at the bottom. It's just that simple.





All that for under $25. This is an excellent investment, run out and get one today !!



[Update: August, 2010] I just bought another one of these (to replace one that I broke) from Amazon. I was shipped a black one. It used to ship in silver. There are some silver ones hanging on the shelves at BustBuy, etc. Personally, I like the black look better except the blue buttons would have looked better in black as well. Anyway, other than the color scheme, it's the exact same device, whether you see it in black or in silver. Sony RM-VL600 8-Device Universal Learning Remote

I was considering a harmony remote to consolidate my remotes, but I just couldn't justify the price. I've used the pronto when they first came out several years ago, so I'm somewhat familiar with what to expect with features for high end universal remotes.



On to the review, I paid nearly full retail price for this remote (a whopping $23), but I don't regret it because this is a purchase that is actually very useful for me. There are lots of universal remotes on the market, but I chose this one because:



1. It is not over-cluttered with buttons. Some people may want more buttons, but not me. The more buttons the higher the level of unfamiliarity with the device and the longer it takes to get used to. Particularly if you tend to use tactile feel (rather than sight) to navigate your way around the remote like I do.



2. This is a true learning remote as many have stated. It ships with a decent quantity of default codes to program your device (it found 2 out of 4 of my devices using the included codes in the manual). More importantly, it is VERY EASY to manually assign functions to each button (within each of the eight device functions) using your existing remote. This may sound like a lot of potential functions, but this device can actually accommodate all of these user-added functions without running out of storage/memory.



3. Macros. The four buttons on the bottom of the remote are devoted to macros. I can turn-on my dvd, switch my TV input, turn on my receiver, and open the dvd tray with the touch of one button. The possibilities here go as far you want it to.



4. Battery life. This device has no LCD display, it has no CD required to set it up, or drivers needed to download. It looks like a basic remote that I wouldn't mind sleeping on or accidentally dropping. It uses 2 AA batteries (does not ship with batteries).



5. Reviews. Look at the reviews for this unit on other sites. They are consistently higher and more favorable than anything else out there, and I can see why.



I rate this so highly because I thought I had to get a harmony in this day and age, but I was so pleased to see that there was such a cheaper alternative that actually suits my needs better.



UPDATE: 2/19/10



I misplaced this remote after moving over a year ago, and have since purchased a Harmony 880 (mine doesn't have the faulty charge issues associated with this model). I used the Harmony for a while, but a few months ago I found the Sony remote. I began using both remotes side by side (after reprogramming the Sony with my other newer devices), and in the end I actually use the Sony and leave the logitech on its charging cradle. Here is why:



1. The Sony doesn't need a charging cradle. One pair of regular alkaline batteries lasts close to a year for me. This is no where near possible with the logitech.



2. Both devices can be manually programmed for the specific functions you want to match with the particular input. However, maybe it's my particular setup, but I actually found it more convoluted to tailor my needs with the logitech because you have you to use a computer interface (connecting cables, update, load, save, etc). With the Sony, it will be manual as well, but no need to install a program on a PC and go through additional steps just to get it to start and confirm.



3. The main drawback for the Sony, at least for me, is that it doesn't include buttons to skip or rewind to the next scene. Obviously it has fast fwd and rwd (e.g. >>, <<), just not the next scene buttons (e.g. >>|, <<|). A minor drawback, depending on your needs.



4. I have programmed the Sony with 2 different Windows media center remotes I have. In other words, I've also used this to replace the remote with 2 different media center PC's I've had (obviously the logitech does this as well).



5. Sometimes simpler is better when you don't need a slick display on your remote.



I don't mean to knock on Harmony's by writing this review, I only do it because this is one of the very few electronic devices I've had from a long time ago that can still serve a very practical purpose to this day. As far the Harmony line goes, I don't see how that's a better value unless you have IR remotes for devices behind walls. Until a company can develop a remote that can combine the features of universal learning remote WITH easy to use mouse and keyboard features I feel that I need 2 remotes: one for the devices, and one for HTPC (unless you ONLY use Windows media center for your PC). For the price, it really is an amazing value if you take some time to read the manual and you know how to manually program the remote. - Universal Learning Remote - Learning Remote - Sony - Universal Remote Control'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information