Wednesday 27 April 2011

Noise Cancellation - headphones, usb headset


I just purchased this headset yesterday because I was looking for a decently-priced gaming headset. While this headset markets itself largely toward the WLM users, it does claim to be useful for gaming as well. I figured that since it was made by Microsoft, there shouldn't be any compatibility issues when using with Windows.



I was right about that. I installed the software first, as instructed, then plugged in the USB cable attached to the headphones. At first I thought I was having problems with the headphones conflicting with my Creative X-Fi soundcard, but I just needed to restart my Media Player and it worked fine (so there was no adjustment needed to my audio devices, even though Windows seems to identify the headphones almost like another sound card).



The ear pads are very comfortable, which is good because the new headset does have quite a bit of pressure on the head. I do have to adjust them from time to time to keep a maximum comfort feel. Music sounded excellent--crystal clear sound reproduction. I listened to a piece that involved a large string orchestra and it sounded beautiful.



Gaming was great. I really wanted a 5.1 surround sound headset, but they're either too expensive or not reliable enough at this point, so I decided to hold off. In gaming, it's fine. I hear footsteps to the left or right accurately and clearly, and voice chat in-game is quite clear (I was in the same room as someone else playing online with me and I was able to hear my voice communication).



I don't use WLM, so I can't speak to its functionality at all.



The in-line remote is fairly useless for any functions other than WLM. It does have an independent volume control (it doesn't affect the volume of your system--just of the headset), which is very useful. But the mute and call buttons don't function for anything other than their intended purposes.



Overall this headset is very good for the price. It fits tightly around the head, which may be a bit uncomfortable at first, but I found that with some adjustment I was able to get a comfortable fit. If you're looking for a nice gaming headset and don't want to shell out over $100 for a high-end headset, this is a strong choice. Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 Headset

As a pair of headphones the LifeChat LX-3000 is pretty decent. Good, clear response across all frequencies. Notably, the bass range is beefy without being too muddy. They are comfortable and don't make my head sore after extended use, compared to some other headphones I own. (Your mileage may vary.)



The microphone is my favorite component of these headphones. It is responsive and doesn't pick up very much background noise. The windscreen (the foamy thing) eliminates some of the effect of breath sound, and pops and plosives to a certain extent, giving one's voice a more polished sound. You might think of it as a minor feature, and perhaps a little ugly or bulky, but it adds a tremendous value to the headphones in my opinion.



In addition to Automated Gain Control (AGC), there seems to be the option in the Sound & Audio Properties control panel of applying effects to the incoming signal. Maybe it has something to do with the sAPO technology in Windows Vista, but I'm using the headphones on Windows XP exclusively at the moment. There aren't any effects included with the installation CD that comes with the LifeChat headphones, but the idea is intriguing. At least I know that since this headset comes from Microsoft, if the technology develops further I'll be able to take advantage of it. It would be good to apply some effects such as a compressor or equalizer to one's voice, even for something as simple as chatting or making calls online, in order to give one's voice more clarity and punch. In any case, that's all a side point to actually reviewing the product.



I've tried recording my voice (both speaking and singing) into Audacity (a wave editor) and Ableton Live (a music/audio production package) and the results are favorable. I can see using this for some quick voiceover work or demo vocals if you happen to be a music production enthusiast as I am. Granted, an actual studio quality dynamic or compressor mic in the right environment is ideal, but this headset functions as a good tool to use a "notepad" for my voice.



The "remote" with the volume, mute, and livechat controls is definitely handy. Only thing is it weighs down the cord. It's placed about a foot and a half down the cord from the headset itself, which makes it possible to place it on the desk; however if you tend to move around while working at your computer (and I would hope you do) you'll pull it off. I don't imagine it's heavy enough to cause any sort of neck strain or such thing, but the weight is noticeable.



Another thing to note is that the headset uses the USB interface exclusively. There are no analog jacks to fall back on. This is a problem since it uses USB bandwidth, which can be a problem if you have many devices hooked up to your computer (and especially if they are hooked up to the same controller by way of a USB hub). I'm not using a hub on this computer currently, and I only have three other devices hooked up. Nevertheless, I ran into a problem with my audio recording interface (a Digidesign Mbox 2) and the headset competing for bandwidth. Windows produced an error message to this effect. The end result is that I can't use the interface and the headphones concurrently; I have to have one or the other plugged in. Granted, this isn't that big of a deal, since I use the headset for "consumer-grade" activities like watching movies and chatting, and use hardware and a microphone plugged in to the recording interface when I am working on a music or audio project. Unfortunately though I can't use the headphones with my recording interface to do quick vocal demos or voiceovers (one of the handy features of a headset I alluded to earlier). Granted, I don't need the recording interface since the headset isn't being run through it, but the latency issues with my onboard sound card makes monitoring my voice while recording untenable.



The takeaway from all this is that the LifeChat LX-3000 headset is great for normal recreational use, although I would caution that if you have a lot of USB devices hooked up to your system you may run into some problems, and in that case I'd suggest a headset with analog microphone/audio jacks. - Headphones - Usb Headset - Microsoft Headset - Lifechat'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information