Monday 11 April 2011

Programmable Remote - learning remote, remote control


For the price (reduced to $80) this is a very decent remote if you need a remote with RF features.



Again, it's value is VERY relative to its price.



Its shortcommings are:



The RF function is based on an open frequency, NOT programable between the Remote Control unit & the RF Receiver unit. This is important because if a next door neighbor is using a RF based remote he might start changing your channels and turning your Tv on & off. There is nothing that can be done to fix this or modify the Universal Remote. The only recourse is to buy the Universal Remote & Receiver that cost $300+, which is NOT a good value for the price. For apx. $350 you can buy the new Harmony model (replacing the 890), which is far more powerful, and easier to program & use.





The LCD screen is smallish and can list 5 items per screen. You scroll through the screens to access components to control or to get to the functions for each component.



Free up a LOT of time to program the unit. Programming the unit for macros seems a little confusing at first and takes some getting use to.



Please note that I found nothing major or even moderately wrong with the remote, but it does have a few problems that I think affect how functional & easy to use it is.



Major Positives are:



Customer Service was reasonably easy to contact. The CS Rep I got was very friendly, knowledgable, and helpful.





The button layout on the Remote is very good. Buttons are grouped together intelligently, especially for people using the remote for DVR cable boxes.



All in all a decent unit for the price for someone needing RF functions on a limited budget.



Hope this was helpful. URC RFS200 PowerPak Bundle w/ MasterControl RF20 and PowerBlaster

So you want a home theater. Your wife says yes if you can hide that hideous stack of black boxes. Sounds simple. This remote makes it very simple. I shopped the competition's options from Monster to the massive home theater controllers. Since my budget was not $500-$1500, I had to avoid the big controllers. It was between Monster's and Universal's.



Most of my components were in the "code list" and worked perfectly with just the code. My TiVO/DirecTV was the exception. The TiVO code only made the TiVO work and the SAT code only made that part work. I used the learning capability on the remote and even though I had to program every button, it was fast and painless.



The RF features of the remote work perfectly also. I have my components in a cedar closet about 20 feet from my projector and couch. It goes through the walls fine. The Powerblaster that transmits the IR signal in the closet is not even facing the components and works due to the high IR signal it outputs.



The macros for turning everything on/changing the input on the projector are also easy to program and work very well. For the $100 I paid for this, it was a steal. There is no way the Monster counterpart gives enough additional functionality to warrant the high price.

Very easy to set-up and program. The included DVD walks you through step by step how to program every aspect of the remote and set up the blaster. It took about one hour to get completely set up on my system (Onkyo, Viewsonic Projector, Elite, IO Cablevision DVR). I called tech support with one question and the rep took the time to research and answer my question completely. Pretty incredible custmer service in this day and age. I highly recommend the product and the company.

Our TV sits in a built-in shelving unit with cabinets below. The doors had to be left open for the old remotes to work.

I looked into the Niles Audio repeaters-they were over $200 and seemed complicated to install (I'm a moron). The Niles product also required you to use the little IR stickies.

I bought the URC bundle on a whim, figuring that if it didn't work out I could return it.

Here's my installation experience-

I installed the remote's batteries, glanced at the manual, and linked it to the TV, Cable DVR box, and DVD recorder. I also set up the "macros" (getting the power on/off buttons to work all three components and the volume to always control the TV). 5 MINUTES. They include a DVD to help you set things up-mine is still in the package. Did I mention that I'M A MORON and I breezed thru the setup?

I then plugged the blaster in and placed it on the bottom shelf of the cabinet. I closed the doors and that was it. It worked just like I hoped it would.

I'm not an A/V geek. I just wanted my stuff to be out of sight. That's what I got, with zero hassle or head scratching. I'm thrilled.



Tom (Kristen's Dad)

I am a A/V installer, so I have used these exact remotes extensively since I came acrossed them. I can tell you for $85, This is the best remote out there for the price if you have the time and patience to program it. Not only will it take any IR-based frequency, but the buttons are also time-sensitive so they will perform a slightly different function based on how long you hold down the button (for learning). The remote is nothing fancy to look at, but I garuantee it is far more durable than the 'fancy' looking Harmonys, Prontos, Commanders, etc., have the same functionality if not more, and actually has a simple look and feel like a REMOTE rather than a PDA. Also, unlike all the above remotes, this one comes RF equipped right out of the box. Battery life is actually pretty good, and has built in light.



Overall, this is the remote to get for just about any application - unless you are one of those people that has $500-1000 to drop on basically a stripped down PDA.



-Adam - Learning Remote - Rf Remote - Programmable - Remote Control'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information