Monday 11 April 2011

Keyboard Protector - cover, keyboard protector


I was hesitant about this keyboard cover--after reading some negative reviews online. But in owning my MacBook for only 6 weeks, some of the keys were already starting to become "glossy" and a little worn ( I am a writer). I also smoke and eat around my laptop--which were both always getting too close for my comfort to the keyboard (and hence the computer itself).



I was very pleased to find how much I like this cover. It fits well (despite some negative comments by others), which considering the keys on the MacBook are actually seperate, is a great feat. I found I adjusted to the new typing sensation quickly (I touch type 90WPM): it does slightly affect typing--it feels softer, and makes the keys much quieter. What has made me a believer and lover of this product is seeng all the crud that has formed on it in just a few days--this stuff will no longer be getting onto my keys and into my MacBook, and that is great!



<<<!>>>UPDATE: Well, I went through two iSkin, both of them turning brown in certian spots--it looked as if a very heavy smoker had been typing away on my MacBook. It might just be an issue of my body chemistry and the silicon, but I did not care for the dirty brown haze over certain keys and areas--as much as I liked this product (and it does work well), back it went. My keyboard is now naked and exposed again...! ProTouch Keyboard Protector, MacBook 13" Arctic

I purchased this silicone keyboard protector when my Macbook was brand new, as I wanted to do everything possible to take perfect care of my investment. The silicone cover is easy to put on and comfortable to use, requiring only a little extra effort when typing. So initially, I was very pleased with it.



After several weeks of use, however, the edge began to "lift" a little, so I pulled the keyboard protector off to reposition it and was surprised to discover a good deal of heat coming up from beneath it. The Macbook's sound was suddenly much clearer, too. With the silicone cover on, the sound had been muffled--something I hadn't noticed until I took the cover off.



I called Apple directly and asked the technical department about this product. I was told APPLE DOES NOT RECOMMEND THE USE OF THIS ITEM because it causes the computer to suffocate. The technician said that Macbooks vent from small openings beneath the keys. These, he explained, should never be blocked.



I now feel bad that I ever used this product. The decision is for you to make. But I thought I'd pass this info along in case it might be helpful to someone else.

I have one of these that I've used on a Titanium PowerBook G4 for a few years and I love it. I've also used it on my MacBook Pro keyboard. It's a perfect fit for the PowerBook, and nearly so for my MacBook Pro (and the later Aluminum PowerBooks), enough that I'm looking to get a second one for that computer. It's good for more than just keeping drinks out of your keyboard (although it did keep some water out of mine when a stewardess spilled some on a flight one time). It keeps dust, dirt, food crumbs, and everything else out of there as well, and it protects the keys from wear. If you look at an unprotected laptop keyboard that's used a lot, you'll see that the keys get worn and shiny. That doesn't happen with an iSkin in place. It's soft, very flexible, and I've never felt like it interfered with typing. As the other reviewer says, it's not clear, but there's a reason for that and it's never bothered me. The underside is not sticky, it's just very smooth. If the top were as smooth it would be clear, but I think it would also tend to feel sticky, and I'm guessing that's why they didn't design in that way. It's made of silicon rubber, which is why it's so flexible. In fact it feels almost delicate since it's so thin, but it seems to be pretty durable if treated appropriately. It also cleans up easily with a very soft brush and some soapy water. I wash it from time to time to clean off all that dust that it's keeping out of my keyboard. To dry it I just lay it inside a towel and press down all over. Much easier that cleaning a keyboard. Great little product.

I use it when there is a danger from spills, and it does the job. The only concern I have is that the macbook pulls air from around the keys on your keyboard to blow out the vent in the back to keep the processor cool. When I cover the keyboard, the macbook runs about 10 degrees Celsius hotter than without it. Take it off and it cools back down. The guy at the mac store said that it wouldn't hurt anything, but I'm not so sure. If you put a fan against a wall and it has no air to pull into itself it will burn up, and the way I see it, that is sort of what you are doing here.



Conclusion: It works, I just wouldn't keep it on the keyboard all of the time.

I kept having near-misses with my new Macbook so I bought this keyboard protector. I like the feel it gives the keys and I feel much more comfortable eating and drinking around my computer because it keeps out crumbs and although a large spill might be able to seep in around the edges, it would greatly increase the odds that you wouldn't have a problem by giving you more time to get your computer shut down and keeping out the vast majority of the spill. The clear one you can hardly see that there is a keyboard protector on there. I think a protector like this should be included with the computer. - Keyboard - Laptop - Cover - Keyboard Protector'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information