Sunday 17 April 2011

Portable Radio - xm, xm radio


Anybody who is reading these reviews for the purpose of buying this product should be aware that a portable satellite radio is not based on the same technology as a Walkman-type radio sold back in 1980s. Satellite radios work by line-of-sight, which requires an unobstructed path between the receiver and its signal source. When properly installed and used, the XMp3i works great for recording and listening to live XM/Sirius broadcasts. However, you must ensure the unit is receiving a strong signal to make it work. If you plan on using it mostly in an automobile (with a live signal), that means purchasing an additional car cradle/antenna. If you wish to use it mostly indoors, you'll need to install the included home dock/antenna properly.



I've had a good experience with the Xmp3i so far. In fact, I was able to listen to live XM/Sirius radio while biking over the weekend with very little interruption. I also used the home dock to record some of my favorite shows for playback later. I believe it is the ability to record programming which is this unit's strong suit. You can record up to five channels at the same time, so getting vast amounts of music/talk on to the device in a timely fashion is easy; provided you have correctly installed the home dock. The playback is flawless and is much more convenient than listening live since you can skip songs, commercials, etc.



The interface seems a little sluggish at times and is not the most intuitive, but it works. Thanks to the microSD slot, you can load up your MP3 library and play your own tunes as well. I was impressed by the overall sound quality from both the satellite feeds and my MP3 files.



The Xmp3i is best-suited for users who will pre-record their music/shows to bring along in the car for playback. It also works well as a standalone device for plugging into your home stereo system. Do not buy this if you want to listen to live XM/Sirius broadcasts when you take the subway to work, or while you're hanging out in mom's basement waiting for some laundry to dry. Though it has a built-in antenna for live reception, the manufacturer clearly intended that to be used in outdoor-only situations. XM XPMP3H1 Portable Satellite Radio and MP3 Player (XMp3i)

This is a great little radio. Reception is great. I love the recording of XM stations feature. BUT, as of this writing, the enclosed software DOES NOT work win WIN 7. So if you have WIN 7, you will not be able to copy mp3 recordings on this unit. Why they (XM) have not fixed this is beyond me. I called XM about this, and they are useless. Cutomer Service immediatly claims no responsibility whatsoever. They tell me to call Microsoft! Unbelievable. WIN 7 has been out for almost a year now. Come on guys!

This receiver has some incredible features. Read everything about it, and you will be amazed. The reception while walking is very good. In most cases, you can put it in the carrying case on your waist, and get good reception. Holding it provides 100% reception. It comes with a "home kit" that has an external antenna that merely needs to be placed on a window sill for 100% indoor reception. I sprang for the lifetime subscription.



Love this radio!!

My XpressRC screen went out, and I needed a replacement. While I tried every way under the sun to find a current radio not made my Audiovox, I couldnt, so decided to try this one, since I dont own an MP3 player, I figured it would be a nice backup when I wanted to listen to something different.



First, this is a satellite receiver. Anyone that expects a satellite receiver to work 100% like an FM radio, doesnt understand the concept. While more forgiving than DirecTv or Dish, you really need to be able to see one of the two satellite locations for uninterrupted reception. Im not going to fault the radio because it blanks out inside a house. It needs an outside (or south window) mounted antenna (included) unless you happen to live where there is a terrestrial repeater (I do).



The radio needed two firmware updates when received. They took about 15 minutes. Added several features and fixed several bugs.



XM audio quality on the included ear buds is good. Much better than I expected.

Sound quality through the powerconnect FM transmitter in my work truck is much better than the previous clip on your FM antenna device. No issues at all in driving around out in the country out of repeater range. Usual dropouts going through tunnels, or under gas station awnings I had with the XpressRC.



The MP3 section is great. Audio quality is excellent. Needs a MicroSD card to store more than 7-10 albums at 256K rate.



Havent tried the song or station recording feature yet. 30 Minute buffer works fine.



Easy to navigate. Now if the screen doesnt burn out like my XpressRC did, Ill be very happy with this receiver. I do plan to try to buy an extended warranty for it though.



It claims 4 hours for XM live, and 16 hours for MP3's. Ive been playing MP3s for 6 hours and the battery indicator hasnt moved yet.



The documentation claims you shouldn't have the radio in an environment over 95 degrees as it will limit the lifetime of the battery. Its 5 degrees warmer than that here in the shade, so I figure 120+ in the truck when its parked.



Might need to keep a spare battery in the fridge :)



If the product holds up to daily use, Ill be a happy camper.

Works great as long as you are standing in the middle of an open field and holding the radio over your head. If you live in a big city, XM does appear have the Clear Channel Repeater System backing up their satellite signal. I am guess that is where the good reviews are coming from. I live in a rural area. Took it to the ball park (no trees) for a morning jog. I could only get a signal while jogging in certain directions. It does work OK at the house hooked to the home dock with the external antenna but that is not why I bought a portable radio.I am boxing it up now to return. - Xm Radio - Portable - Mp3 Player - Xm'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Portable Radio - xm, xm radio mp3 player Portable Radio - xm, xm radio