Wednesday 13 April 2011

Playstation 3 - toslink, 51 surround


Digital audio cable (or TOSLINK, as it is also commonly known) is a very common interface in my home entertainment system. My aging Sony A/V reciever only has 4 optical ins/outs and my system of components using the cable standard easily doubles that. I've purchased optical cable switchers and have a lot of optical cable running in the back of my media center. In that regards, I have a number of makes and models of cables, from minimalist and very delicate in build quality to quite robust (and perhaps to the point of overkill). This Tripp Lite cable fits squarely in the middle...a nice solid cable that feels good, but not indestructable. I plugged it in and it works just fine.



Why does build quality matter? TOSLINK, a glass fiber based optical cable standard, is nice, thin and robust in its transmission speeds--but it is susceptible to breaking by overtwisting or sharp impact. If you're comfortable using thin cheap optical cabling because your system is sealed and the cabling rarely accessed, go for it. But for many of us, your system isn't in 'lock down mode' and you may have an intermittent need to rewire or get back there in the "rats' nest" on occasion. For that reason, I recommend this product as a good compromise between cost/quality...it will take the knocks/use (within reason) without breaking the bank.



In short--you don't need the more expensive solutions by Monster or Belkin (which I own and respect). Just evaluate your scenario/circumstances and buy accordingly. Tripp Lite A102-02M Digital Optical Audio Cable with 2 Toslink connectors - 2M (6ft)

I was so pleased to find this quality optical cable at a reasonable price that I bought two. I also appreciated that it was packaged in a simple ziplock-style bag, rather than the bulky, difficult to open plastic stuff that most cables are packaged in.

Don't fall for the rediculous notion that there is some difference between the quality of different optical cables. Unlike analog cables (like speaker cables) an optical cable only transmits a digital signal, so there is no "quality" to their performance. So, buy a great, cheap cable like this one.

I picked this up to connect my Sony PlayStation 3 (60GB) to my surround sound system so that I could enjoy the full benefits of Blu-ray. Being an optical cable there are no issues with signal distortion and the cable operated at the same level as other more expensive cables that I already owned. The only disappointment with this cable was the thin plastic bag that was used for packaging - while my cable appears to be fine I would caution any buyers to check for damage to the cable immediately.

no instructions with the cable so i tried installing as is and couldn't really get them to snap into I/O ports between HDTV and 5.1 sound system.



duh! once i noticed the clear rubber protectors on the cable ends and removed them i get 5.1 signals directly from a HDTV channel that broadcasts in Dolby Digital into my 5.1 ONKYO system. WOW!

For anyone looking for a digital optical cable, the Tripp Lite is a very affordable solution. It is not the highest quality cable, but since it is transmitting a digital signal, quality does not really matter. The only way quality comes into play with optical cables is in the housing. There are many cheap cables out there that can have the ends break off after a lot of reconnecting. This cable is sort of mid-quality in terms of housing. It does not feel cheap, but I also wouldn't expect it to last ten years like a Monster cable would. But at this price, it is a great choice if you plan on connecting it and leaving it alone for awhile. I have bought two and it sounds great.



Do not be fooled into spending $80 for Monster cables when this cable does exactly what it needs to. I have a premium "Monster-type" cable and there is no distinguishable difference in sound. If you are currently using component or God-forbid, analog RCA cables for your audio connections, I definitely recommend upgrading to toslink. You will definitely notice a difference in sound.

I bought this optical cable to attach my Playstation 3 to my Yamaha receiver.

It works and sounds perfectly. Much better quality sound than using r and l

output wires. Less wiring to deal with also. Highly recommend!

I just installed 2 of these TOS cables in my system (Onkyo receiver, cable box and Sony DVD player). The sound is AMAZING!!! If you REALLY want your cables (that are hidden behind your components) to say "Monster" on them, then by all means, spend the 50+ dollars. I'm glad I got these, and I recommend them with no hesitation.

Not much more to say. Most of your cheaper cables are poorly made but this one is well put together. It doesn't have the same level of protection as the really expensive ones but you really don't need it as long as you don't abuse them or tie them in knots.



Everything hooked up perfect and the difference in sound quality is amazing. If you've been putting off upgrading because of cable prices grab a couple of these and enjoy the improvement. - Hdtv - Playstation 3 - Toslink - 51 Surround'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Playstation 3 - toslink, 51 surround 51 surround Playstation 3 - toslink, 51 surround